Chance to buy new 1993 Dayton

GreenIce

Hi.  I'm new to the Moto Guzzi forum and the marque. but an acquaintance has offered me his never ridden or titled 93 Daytona.  Asking $25K U.S. and here are 2 of the 4 pics I have so far.  Will get more detailed photos later.  Any advice or info about this model would be greatly appreciated.

MotoGuzzi 1.jpg

MotoGuzzi2.jpg

How much is this bike worth after you put fuel in the tank , start the bike and ride it 1 mile ? I would you recommend you put this into perspective. Then decide what you want to pay.

How much is this bike worth after you put fuel in the tank , start the bike and ride it 1 mile ? I would you recommend you put this into perspective. Then decide what you want to pay.

That makes even the normal Guzzi depreciation look easy!

Truly.  I don't see this bike being like a really rare Ducati or Bimota. 

You could start here.

That makes even the normal Guzzi depreciation look easy!

Truly.  I don't see this bike being like a really rare Ducati or Bimota. 

You could start here.

I understand some people's aversion to "private museums".  Not a big fan either.  But I have a spinal disease that may prevent me from riding sport bikes (maybe any bikes) in the future.  I still love these style bikes and will buy whatever makes me remember how it felt.  So I could have been more specific, but just really wanted some ideas about the marque and this model and it's desirability, which you definitely responded to.  Thanks.  BTW, I posted the same question on Guzziriders.org as I wasn't aware of this one as yet.  Many comments are about how I should go ahead as it is a rare bike for that year.  Thanks for the posts so far.  Love to hear straight-shooters. :oldgit:  :)

In my opinion, it is overvalued as a motorcycle.  But if it's going to be art or an investment, then it's a different question.

I have this story to share, which may or may not help:

I bought my Scura almost exactly one year ago. It was at a dealer and had less than 200 miles on it - so it had been titled and ridden - then stored before it even got its break-in service. When I saw the bike at the dealer for about $7,000 I made an offer - and while I was trying to work my best-possible deal, a collector called the dealer to make a full price offer. They put him off, because we were in an active negotiation. The collector got mad at the dealer for "under-pricing" the motorcycle (apparently it had only been offered for sale the day before). So there went my negotiation leverage. I paid the asking price - and the dealer was glad to see it go to a rider rather than to a collector. I could not get $7,000 for it today, because I've put nearly 9,000 miles on it. I LOVE riding it and intend to keep it as long as I can. Its not an investment, but it does still serve an art function for me - I stare at it.

Given the medical situation you just posted, and not intending to pry more into that, if you have the money, only you can decide what it's worth to you. While I have not ridden a Daytona, the V11s are pretty similar in feel from what I've heard. I can tell you that it's a fantastic feeling to have a pair of V11s in the garage - and I pulled that off for a lot less than the asking price of the Daytona in question.

• Like 1

If you're new to guzzi and unlikely to be able to ride it for long, I feel sorry for you. I can't imagine anything more frustrating than having something so sexy to look at but not use - especially if it doesn't even invoke passionate memories. But presumably you get something out of the relationship to justify sinking $25 K into it, so better you than a " collector" . Just don't ride it - you'll be filled with the agony of knowing how your riding life has been incomplete for so many years ( ok, slight exageration, but once you get the guzzi thing you're stuffed)

Good luck, but do your research if you intend to ride it - they are relatively rare and had their fair share of idiosynchracies.

Thank you, guys, for the input.  Seems like your opinion is that it wouldn't be much of an investment monetarily, and since I am unfamiliar with the ecstasy of riding an MG I agree that I really won't miss what I don't have experience with.  I'm leaning more to the "not buying" side of the argument.  It is a lot of cash and I could buy a new MG or other Italian sport bike and ride for a while, gaining some more memories to reflect upon.  Again, much obliged.

It is a great bike , but a poor investment . Sorry to hear about your medical issues . Last but not least , thanks for joining our group and asking for our input .

I'd try the Wildguzzi.com forum.  There are a lot more members with Guzzi experience and you might get a little more insight.  They are a bunch of tightwads so expect that.  

Quite a few more Guzzi riders than collectors.  

Seems like the only way to retain that Daytona's high value is to not ride it. I have seen low mile ones go for far less. That would be my choice. Truth be told, I'd rather have the later 1100Sport I, ($5 - $7k) for riding.  The only "practical" reason for me to buy a bike is for the joy it brings to ride it. No disrespect to collectors. They make values go up, and it's their money.

To the back pain: I used to ride HD. My back problems were spinal compression, and being vertical made it worse. I had the goose LM  at the same time and realized that leaning forward on it was much better for my back. Arms and neck now take the weight from gravity. I can handle that pain much better than the back problem. The aggressive forward lean of the Sport or the Daytona might be too much for this old neck on a distance ride. It would make fine garage art though.

Seems like the only way to retain that Daytona's high value is to not ride it. I have seen low mile ones go for far less. That would be my choice. Truth be told, I'd rather have the later 1100Sport I, ($5 - $7k) for riding.  The only "practical" reason for me to buy a bike is for the joy it brings to ride it. No disrespect to collectors. They make values go up, and it's their money.

To the back pain: I used to ride HD. My back problems were spinal compression, and being vertical made it worse. I had the goose LM  at the same time and realized that leaning forward on it was much better for my back. Arms and neck now take the weight from gravity. I can handle that pain much better than the back problem. The aggressive forward lean of the Sport or the Daytona might be too much for this old neck on a distance ride. It would make fine garage art though.

I know what you're saying.  Degenerative Disc Disease in my neck and back.  Two lumbar surgeries and two neck surgeries.  Riding upright on my HD hurts my back and helps my neck.  My sport bike riding helps my back and hurts my neck.  I love riding and motorcycles so much that I do ride through the pain because the thrill is greater than the pain.  I know most die hard riders are exactly the same.  Just being around bikes is enjoyable.  Maybe I'll take up the luge!