IMG_20200829_150538158.jpg

Small tail Stinson? Franklin powered?

• Replies 505
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

I keep trying to be.  But I'll never quit making stuff. It's what I do. 

Here's the last and no doubt highly collectable run of Lucky Phil Shifter Extenders (tm) I had some thin paint on one, and googled to see if you could recoat. Naturally, some said yes, other

I finally got around to looking at messages, emails, and PayPal. Most have paid already. Some have over paid. (!) Don't worry though.. I won't spend it on something frivolous.. it will go straight to

Posted Images

7 hours ago, po18guy said:

Small tail Stinson? Franklin powered?

It's a..uhh.. slightly modified :) Piper colt. I've had my share of Stinsons, though. They used to be cheap. (Guzzi content) At one time I had 2 flying, and 3 parts planes. :oldgit:

8 hours ago, Chuck said:

It's a..uhh.. slightly modified :) Piper colt. I've had my share of Stinsons, though. They used to be cheap. (Guzzi content) At one time I had 2 flying, and 3 parts planes. :oldgit:

Huh. Had that Stinson-ish look from the side. There is something aircraft-like about the Guzzi engine, maybe a slice of radial? 

• Like 3
3 hours ago, po18guy said:

Huh. Had that Stinson-ish look from the side. There is something aircraft-like about the Guzzi engine, maybe a slice of radial? 

Yeah, the first time I saw the valve covers off of a Guzzi engine, I thought, "airplane. That sucker is sturdy.." :grin:

• Like 2
On 9/17/2020 at 3:47 PM, po18guy said:

• Thanks 1
6 minutes ago, po18guy said:

A Guzzi-engined aircraft created an entire new category: Ultraheavies.

Waiting for Chuck to come along and enlighten us with his awesome Aero-Lario!

Aero-Guzzi engines rock! :mg:

7c14b731a39c643a9d395f6c77d48d95.jpg

• Like 2
3 hours ago, docc said:

Waiting for Chuck to come along and enlighten us with his awesome Aero-Lario!

Aero-Guzzi engines rock! :mg:

Truth to tell, look up the Arrow Sport. Cast iron Ford flathead V8 for power, through a reduction gear. Reputed to be slightly heavier than a Guzzi. Anyway, dad helped rebuild a Sport and on the maiden takeoff, said reduction gear decided to go on strike. Luckily, the private airstrip was surrounded by pastureland... 

Screen%20Shot%202020-09-18%20at%2010.02.

Screen%20Shot%202020-09-18%20at%2010.03.

Hey Chuck, it's not too late to re-purpose those spars and ribs and make a bold strike for antiquity. Airframe would reportedly support a V11... :rolleyes:

Screen%20Shot%202020-09-18%20at%209.55.5

• Like 1

I've seen an Arrow Sport and heard it run. It wasn't airworthy, though. Believe me, I looked at using a Guzzi power plant. Turn it upside down and use a dry sump.

But.

Without a reduction drive, it would be limited to 3400 rpm by the prop, and Guzzis need 5500. I *have* a Guzzi reduction drive, but it adds too much weight.:huh2:

• Like 1