clutch slave

andy york

Oh, yeah.. holding in the clutch lever is much worse on the input shaft, etc. The first sign you see is no friction zone. It's either all or nothing. I've seen many over the years on WG. Probably most of them by Pete.

Well.  Measured the clutch discs....7.45 mm - both of them. I don't know what starting thickness is but I am 

impressed. I thought surely with 120k it was really close to being used up. Material to the rivet is about 2.5 mm.

I figure at least another season on these discs. Flywheel looks good... no wear on the teeth....everything straight and flat....

no discoloration...

Guess I will get a new slave cylinder and button it back up.

I would be curious to try a lighted flywheel and ring gear from Guzzi power. Don't think I need to spend that kinda coin though.

Now for a good cleaning     

:grin:

• Like 1

When my LeMans clutch started slipping, I replaced the 2 friction discs and the intermediate plate. Upon removal and inspection it seemed that the plates still had some life left in them. I also noticed that the old springs were much weaker than the new springs I installed. I think I could have gotten more life out of the clutch just by installing new springs. They are $2.00 each at MG Cycle. Since you have it out, you might think about some new springs.

BTW - I used aftermarket friction discs, also from MG Cycle, which apparently are a bit thicker than stock. This has caused a clutch-release problem - but more on that later when I am ready to attack it.

Well.  Measured the clutch discs....7.45 mm - both of them. I don't know what starting thickness is but I am 

impressed. I thought surely with 120k it was really close to being used up. Material to the rivet is about 2.5 mm.

I figure at least another season on these discs. Flywheel looks good... no wear on the teeth....everything straight and flat....

no discoloration...

Guess I will get a new slave cylinder and button it back up.

I would be curious to try a lighted flywheel and ring gear from Guzzi power. Don't think I need to spend that kinda coin though.

Now for a good cleaning     

:grin:

"No wear on the flywheel teeth?" None? Like, none at all? Take a pic! I'd like to have that to compare to my "low mileage" V11! ;)

The input splines look pretty good. I've seen *much* worse.

I guess it is "inside" the flywheel I am wondering about. where the clutch discs clatter?

(Nice pics, there, Perfesser! :thumbsup: )

Uhh.. where you see the wear is on the transmission input splines, and the clutch and intermediate plate splines. You can see light wear on Andy's. About 1/3 of it in the middle.  I've seen much worse. His flywheel looks pretty good. The intermediate plate and pressure plate wear there.

Those parts look to be in a little better condition than the ones from my Champagne LeMans project at 50,000 miles. 

Flowing rides, smooth shifting, high idle speed, and pure thoughts make for a long clutch life I guess. On the other end of the spectrum we would have stop-and-go, engine-braking, throttle-whackers who hold the lever in at low-RPM idle. 

The input splines look pretty good. I've seen *much* worse.

I guess it is "inside" the flywheel I am wondering about. where the clutch discs clatter?

(Nice pics, there, Perfesser! :thumbsup: )

Uhh.. where you see the wear is on the transmission input splines, and the clutch and intermediate plate splines. You can see light wear on Andy's. About 1/3 of it in the middle.  I've seen much worse. His flywheel looks pretty good. The intermediate plate and pressure plate wear there.

This interface :

post-7605-0-13343300-1484903791.jpg

Those parts look to be in a little better condition than the ones from my Champagne LeMans project at 50,000 miles. 

Flowing rides, smooth shifting, high idle speed, and pure thoughts make for a long clutch life I guess. On the other end of the spectrum we would have stop-and-go, engine-braking, throttle-whackers who hold the lever in at low-RPM idle. 

Yeah, I understand low rpm idle is especially bad. I am *not* a guru on this, but I have read a lot since I became enamored with Guzzi in 99. At any rate, I've never had a problem with idle no lower than 1100 and no prolonged clutch lever held in. I've heard of issues in less than 30K miles with "Harley idle" and treating it like a car transmission.

Small blocks? Pay no attention to the above. They are different, and IMHO, better.