clutch slave

andy york

ID of the cylinder bore?

This Breva cylinder is 1.260" on my English-speaking dial calipre.    ( x 25.4 = 32mm).

Piston length: 20mm

So, yep: NOPE! The later (Breva) slave won't fit. All of the external dimensions are the same EXCEPT for the "2nd step" (too big on the later model) and the Breva piston is 2mm bigger. (*Might* still work if the "2nd step" wasn't too big to fit all the way into the gearbox case.)

I can see these marks, but can't feel them. Even after cleaning and lubing it, the piston doesn't slide back into the bore very easily.

gallery_328_223_152727.jpeg

If you want to , you can use Scotch-Brite to smooth up the surface . p.s. use the most fine pad you can get . Clean up w/Brake-Kleen , reassemble with brake assembly fluid and you will be good.

I'd like to find these two simple seals . . . 

[edit: I asked the ebay seller about returning the Breva part and he immediately refunded my money. So, 1) if anyone needs a Breva clutch slave, I'll send it to you, and 2) David at Redlands Cycles in Oregon City, OR, USA is top notch :thumbsup: (ebay seller: gsmess )

Well, the good news is I got the slave off without too much drama: removed only the exhaust system behind the header tubes (in one piece), and managed to get the hex drive fasteners out with a little heat and a few hammer/ drive taps, and removed the slave working from below with the V11 on the lift all the way up.

(I had dreaded this job thinking I would be pulling the swingarm and drilling out the fasteners.)

Took the seals to my local rubber/gasket supplier and they will have vendor spec them (and build the square section seal if necessary), after the holiday.

[edit: I asked the ebay seller about returning the Breva part and he immediately refunded my money. So, 1) if anyone needs a Breva clutch slave, I'll send it to you, and 2) David at Redlands Cycles in Oregon City, OR, USA is top notch :thumbsup: (ebay seller: gsmess )

Never heard of him. And I thought I knew everyone in the area.

Never heard of him. And I thought I knew everyone in the area.

Online store only. I don't think they have a brick-and-mortar store.  There was some confusion about the nomenclature (for Moto Guzzi? Really? :rolleyes: ) and the guy just immediately refunded my money and took down the Breva parts until they could figure it out. I suggested there is no "V" in Breva 1100 and certainly no "V11."

Docc , take a look at what this seal is compatible with . It lists mineral oil and a lot of others sans brake fluid . You will HAVE to use DOT 5 silicone fluid if you do .

How bad is the original seal ?

Docc , take a look at what this seal is compatible with . It lists mineral oil and a lot of others sans brake fluid . You will HAVE to use DOT 5 silicone fluid if you do .

How bad is the original seal ?

I see this in the product description:

"They resist hydraulic oils and motor oil."

On this page as well:

https://www.mcmaster.com/#catalog/123/3550/=18ebml4

What do you think? :huh2:

(Original seal appears "flared", and slightly out of square. )

I hate to tell ya , the only thing that is compatible with brake rubber is brake fluid , DOT 5 silicone brake fluid , brake assembly fluid , water ,  isopropyl alcohol  and a few other things I don't know about . Petroleum products are off the list . 

I am not a good influence , put it together and see what happens. Use some brake assembly fluid from a auto parts store when you reassemble .

Yep: after a little searching I see one supplier specifically states "Buna-N"  (Nitrile) is not recommended for auto/ aircraft brake applications.

Looks like they need to be :

EPDM

(Ethylene Propylene)

http://www.columbiaerd.com/epdm_orings.php

gallery_328_223_11947.png

McMaster Carr doesn't seem to have this material in square section metric.

Any other suppliers?

Did the old seal leak? Some seals you think should be square actually aren't.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Did the old seal leak? Some seals you think should be square actually aren't.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

No leak. Good point about trying to decide what the seal dimensions and profiles are by looking at this 103,000+ mile seal.

Let's face it, I don't even know if this is why my clutch won't re-engage reliably.

Learning experience, for sure!