clutch slave

andy york

Remember the daylight part. Just my 2 cents.

Maybe this can lighten up your mood a little:

http://johnmerlinwilliams.blogspot.de/2008/12/turning-riders-into-mechanicspart-i.html

http://johnmerlinwilliams.blogspot.de/2008/12/turning-riders-into-mechanics-part-ii.html

Didnt read it myself so far, only found it a moment ago while searching for the quote.

And of course this one (in another context):

Moto Guzzi, Going out of business since 1921! You gotta love it biggrin.gif

Pete

Four "command" cylinders on hand (thanks,  :notworthy: Andy York!) to consider. As well as square section and round section O-rings in the best-guess sizes I posted. (rendered in Nitrile or Buna-N). Of course, the Nitrile/Buna-N will not work and the sizing does not appear correct either.

These are only observations . . . 

gallery_328_223_300331.jpeg

As Swooshdave suggested, not all "flat looking" seals are "square."  All of the flat seals (even the new one) appear to *flare* slightly toward the outward piston movement. And the measured dimensions of the new (unused) flat seal cross section are decidedly not square, 0.131" x 0.114".

I appreciate what bbolesaz has said that we can't measure the seals (to have them built), but must measure the piston and bores. Yet, I am comparing the dimensions of the unused flat seal to my 103,000+/almost 17 year old flat seal:

My worn seal is undersized to the piston bore by 0.005" and "elongated" (wider?) by 0.003". 

All just observation, theory, and conjecture. :nerd:   Acid test to follow. :luigi::race:

That's a helluva lotta clutch command cylinders. The used one started it's life on Unkept's Champagne LeMans... got replaced in my garage... visited Andy for a while... and now it's with the good doctor. What a long strange trip it's been... Careful with the acid; don't drop it.

Oh, well: nope. And nope.

We still don't have a source for seals or a rebuild kit.      And I still don't have a clutch.

Looks like I will be continuing to violate The Daylight Rule.

• Like 1

Oh, yeah.. holding in the clutch lever is much worse on the input shaft, etc. The first sign you see is no friction zone. It's either all or nothing. I've seen many over the years on WG. Probably most of them by Pete.

You really do think that this tiny square seal could hold back the clutch plate and so be the cause for your clutch problems?

These wise fellows have me going the right direction. We'll leave this thread to anyone who can come up with the answer to the original poster's question:

"Has anyone found replacement seals for the V11 Grimeca clutch slave cylinder?"

I had no luck getting the seals at all. Other than the likelihood that they should be made of EPDM, I also had no luck deriving a specification of shape and dimensions.

The seals that came from McMaster-Carr (who refunded my money), are Buna-N (nitrile) and not compatible with brake fluid. They did help me see that the original Grimeca "flat" seal doesn't actually appear square section and that the 3mm square seal doesn't test-fit right.

Those are enjoyable reads, and perhaps assuage the wrenching and frustration a bit. I had to lift a couple phrases:

"It's negligible, but maddening."

"I only found it because of the good people on the [V11LeMans.com] forum."  {paraphrase, of course, added}

Docc , were you able to get anywhere contacting Grimeca directly ?

I'm going to leave that to someone else while I get my clutch out.

Sounds like the next best step, though.

Today, my clutch lever suddenly "gave way" slightly and the clutch would not engage. Then, it came back and off I went. In the next ten to fifteen miles it did this several more times: lever pressure would "giveway" (as in: loose lever, no feeling of resistance) and no clutch engagement. Several times, it engaged again suddenly and lurched the bike.

After the last stop, about six miles from home, it has not done it again. I've squeezed and squoze and held and pumped the lever repeatedly in gear, in neutral, and with the bike shut off and it has not repeated.

I'm trying to find Andy York's resolution on his slave cylinder and got distracted by an old thread in *Silly Banter* that Belfastguzzi regaled us with and Ponti ran away with . . . "Two Cows"

I needed a good laugh, but my clutch still has me worried . . .

That is what happened to me. I changed the master cylinder as I thought it was the seals gone. Thought it was cured, but it did it again and the clutch started slipping anyway. Bought a slave cylinder ( didn't use it). The problem was the plates sticking on the flywheel. Anyway the only thing I didn't buy for this job was a new clutch line. So just dive in there and have fun Docc.

Actually, I'm rather enjoying the tear-down. I do hope some one will contact Grimeca and see if we can nail down a reliable resource for servicing the slave cylinder. I' going to be a bit distracted for a bit . . . :luigi:

[grossohc, I'll start a separate thread to get your input on the *sticking plates" . . . I know one other member with the same experience recently.]