clutch slave

andy york

On 12/4/2023 at 4:20 PM, audiomick said:

seems like it is not all that easy to find the right kit.

There is a Brembo part # (110436292) and a MG part # (GU28659378) . . .  it shouldn't be too hard.

On 12/4/2023 at 4:20 PM, audiomick said:

docc was quicker (again...) but I'll leave the post as I wrote it.

For the sake of clarity and to alleviate confusion for current and future readers looking for references, maybe we could all try to refrain from posting multiple unproven links to replacement parts. :2c:

• Like 2

27 minutes ago, Speedfrog said:

There is a Brembo part # and a MG part #. . .  it shouldn't be too hard.

And yet it apparently is. The search for the MG part number at Stein-Dinse, a reputable supplier, threw up apparantly conflicting results. :huh2:

27 minutes ago, Speedfrog said:

For the sake of clarity and to alleviate confusion for current and future readers looking for references, maybe we could all try to refrain from posting multiple unproven links to replacement parts.

I see your point entirely, but also the value of pointing out that one may need to look closer when a simple search throws up apparently conflicting results.

NB: searching using the Brembo part number threw up several results from other suppliers that seemed to be consistent. Perhaps that is the better method in this instance. :)

• Like 1

Given all the great input, I'm guessing my main clutch issue was resolved with a new slave cylinder piston seal, but I'll also want to revise some maintenance practices. Thanks for all the suggestions!

I have changed out all the brake/clutch fluid every year - using a Mityvac to pull fluid out through Speedbleeders. I assumed that if there's little/no air in the system when I start, and I don't run the reservoir dry, it should be all good. I do try to re-bleed if it feels noticeably spongy. My current thought is that the tacky sealant on the Speedbleeder has dried out, letting some air enter, giving the feel of a broader clutch engagement/disengagement zone.

If I find the clutch well-behaved next season, I'll plan to install a remote bleeder for the clutch slave, and extend my relationship with this beast. Longer term, it's not clear that I am enthusiast enough to continue fighting the increasingly demanding maintenance battle that will be needed. I have dallied with the idea of moving to a more casual relationship with a new Triumph 400 that's 150 lbs lighter, and in concept might provide a similar joy of movement.

• Like 3

On 12/6/2023 at 12:45 AM, OldButNotDead said:

Given all the great input, I'm guessing my main clutch issue was resolved with a new slave cylinder piston seal, but I'll also want to revise some maintenance practices. Thanks for all the suggestions!

I have changed out all the brake/clutch fluid every year - using a Mityvac to pull fluid out through Speedbleeders. I assumed that if there's little/no air in the system when I start, and I don't run the reservoir dry, it should be all good. I do try to re-bleed if it feels noticeably spongy. My current thought is that the tacky sealant on the Speedbleeder has dried out, letting some air enter, giving the feel of a broader clutch engagement/disengagement zone.

If I find the clutch well-behaved next season, I'll plan to install a remote bleeder for the clutch slave, and extend my relationship with this beast. Longer term, it's not clear that I am enthusiast enough to continue fighting the increasingly demanding maintenance battle that will be needed. I have dallied with the idea of moving to a more casual relationship with a new Triumph 400 that's 150 lbs lighter, and in concept might provide a similar joy of movement.

Buy yourself one of these. With a pair of AEW stainless silencers as shown it'll be about 90lbs lighter. Smooth as silk, abs, low C of G and parts are dirt cheap. Quality is very good. Can't go wrong.

image.png

At the risk of promoting thread drift...the RE Cafe and Guzzi V7 models have crossed my mind, but I wasn't sure the relatively minor weight reductions would be worth the loss of oomph. I hadn't gotten as far as considering weights with modifications. The sexy Triumph Thruxton appeared on the radar, but $$$. Because the local Guzzi dealer also carries RE, test rides should be easy, but my time / energy began sublimating post-pandemic and I've not been yet. I did just buy a charity raffle ticket for a V7 (Cadre Cycle, mentioned on WIldGuzzi) :lol: 

12 hours ago, Lucky Phil said:

Buy yourself one of these. With a pair of AEW stainless silencers as shown it'll be about 90lbs lighter. Smooth as silk, abs, low C of G and parts are dirt cheap. Quality is very good. Can't go wrong.

image.png

INT 650 Orange Crush...:wub: