Gearbox Drip (case crack)

LowRyter

So you are saying this bike doesn't have the extra bracing on the lower rear subframe, and the bars that connect to the engine case? I have been hoping I was safe from this failure with the later piece.

Does this cracking seem to be happening to bikes that get pushed hard in the corners, causing the frame to flex more? Maybe I should try to stop having so much fun!

I am pretty sure this failure has little to do with flexing in the corners.  I think it has everything to do with doing hard acceleration starts when you wind 'er up and let go uv the clutch.  That tranny is taking the torque and hammering the frame when the rider takes off.

I am guilty as charged.  :grin:

Yes, I would have to weld a bracket to the frame also. That would be easy other than having to disassemble half of the bike for access. 

I guess I would rather have to deal with doing the mod than having the potential nightmare of cracking the trans case. Then I would still have to do the brace and feel like an idiot for not doing it sooner.

I guess I am kind of pro-active or "insert your own less flattering terminology."

I was wondering about removing the bolt from the problem area. Then it could never crack there, but I think I'm too chicken to try it.

Well, since you asked... How about "paranoid-catastrophic"?   :grin:

The factory already did the mod for you by heavily reinforcing two subframes in the 2002 and later models. 

Just ride it.   :race:

Those brackets would be cheap to make. No form die to make, no fussy dimensions.

Looks pretty easy to fab one up. Maybe make it out of titanium, so the bike has one lightweight part on it!

All true. But for the moment, they are super-cheap and readily available from Moto International. *while supplies last*

But Cory, the frame on your Rosso Corsa does not have a place to mount the bracket - so you couldn't use it without welding something onto your frame. I think the lower subframe on your bike does a far better job of holding the driveline in place than the little bracket.

In short: ride it hard as-is.

If you want a little extra assurance, maybe you should check that the tranny top-mount bolt is not over-torqued.

Been all over the MI site and can't find the brace. Some linky help please?

Just to restate: I believe this brace adds no additional protection to the transmission case in a 2002 and later motorcycle - in fact it won't even fit without welding, which, IMO would be a waste of time.

No reason a Tennista to buy one - unless you plan to get an early sport to keep her company.

• Like 1