V11 and knee pain

Troutman

So i'm thinking of taking a set of Vario foot pegsweb-MFW-Footpeg.jpg

for when I ride my new to me V11 through the Alps in September.       Cafe Sport from Czech    

I used to have a Honda Firestorm 1498569612f2c7940c247cb8f8f26f3c3250b123

that killed my knees after about 1hr..as did my Triumph Thunderbird Sport

3732744987c16eef2063873252bd1123149cd61e

I now have a Ducati 1000ss and my knees are OK with this.

23713288eabd711bf866ad7efc5b35aaea4bb9b4

Question is ...Anyone had any of these bikes and a MG V11 to compare comfort levels?

• Replies 32
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

The Buell footpegs worked really well for me. Big difference in leg room. It takes a little bit of modification but not too bad, and you have to adjust the shifter and brake lower. They are pretty inexpensive too, at least in the US. Those Vario pegs look lower but I think you will have trouble with getting the shift lever low enough, and maybe the brake too. Guzzitech has adjustable shifter/brake pedal tips.

http://www.v11lemans.com/forums/index.php?showtopic=8491

http://www.guzzitech.com/store/product/gt-eccentric-folding-toe-peg/

GT-CNCToePeg.jpg

I'm thinking it might be too much to get some pegs set up correctly whilst on the trip. I only have one big ride day 550km (350m) and I have all day so I can stop loads and let the knees do what they need to do.

I'm going to try taking Glucosamine a week or two before I go.

Rather than lower the river how about raising the bridge?

Temp_Long_Hair_Chart_2.jpg?256

Long Hair Buttpads are long and shaggy (1.5" to 3" loft), and can give more comfort because of their thickness. They are also available in natural colors.

It was just enough to take a little kink out of my knee and it's shag!   it's a '70's thing that worked great decades ago with an Alfa Spider.

I had the seat padding raised on the Firestorm...(not the seat in this photo) but it made little or no difference and was really uncomfortable.

I could take a lump of Pink High Shag carpet I suppose.

7687250651f97e71d5c42823326a8ca3a3b29712

Try some lowering footpegs, they helped my hip joint pain, I used the 1" lowering ones:

http://www.knightdesignllc.com/Products/Motorcycle/Moto-Guzzi/Moto-Guzzi-Motorcycle-Menu.html

Requires adjusting the brake and shifter but that's easy.

Here is a pic I posted not long ago.

Added MotoBits rearsets to my V11 following a tip-over in which the stock brake lever snapped.

Install was easy.

Relocated the footpegs down AND forward.

My FIL put over 200 miles on the bike a few weeks back, and he is 6'2.

I'm 5'10 and find them better than the Buell footpegs that were on previously.

The Buell footpegs only lowered the footpegs, so moving them forward really helped even more.

Goose_Broken.jpg

They look really good, I do like the idea of going forward and down. I'll see what it's like when I ride her for the first leg, not much I can do en route but think lots of stops might be necessary. Can't wait.

I put the 30 mm Varios on my Rosso Mandello. They do help, and can be rotated forward or back. It does mess up the relationship with the shift and brake levers - you eventually adapt, but it takes a while (if anyone can tell me how to adjust them for this setup, please do so! ). I tried using my Airhawk pad to get a bit more room, and to make the seat more comfortable - it does both, but then I find the reach down to the bars becomes more extreme - on longer rides, I usually prefer having the bars higher up than saving my bum. After about 200 miles, I am stopping every 60-100 miles to get off and stretch, which really eats into the miles you can cover in a day. Whatever you do, before you leave on that length of trip, I'd make sure you are comfortable. I'm surprised that the Triumph bothered you, but not the Ducati, which has much sportier ergos - maybe you need your Guzzi's pegs farther back, if the setup on the Duck works. And hey, taking that Ducati through the Alps wouldn't be too shabby if you can't get the Sport sorted.

The Triumph is actually  quite cramped, anyway I sold it , never liked that engine , no power and you had to rev it hard to get it to move at all.

The Ducati is more sporty but I fit into it really well although I've never ridden that bike for more that 2hrs.

The long reach is not a problem for me, I have long strong arms and wrists. I'll let you know how I get on with the Cafe Sport when I get back.

This site is quite good for looking at ergonomics of bikes.  www.cycle-ergo.com

That http://www.cycle-ergo.com website is brilliant, great find. Even has the V11 listed.

Sending them a report that they are showing a Sport instead of a Naked.

Nice site Butt everyone has a big butt - Pee Wee Herman

I have short shanks call it the Gorilla Build that works for a Construction Laborer so the leg angle is really off.

30 years ago I found out if I had normal shanks I'd be 4 inches taller --- just call me "stumpy"

Also I see the site has some errors.  By the site my V11 his 2" higher in seating than my Griso 1100 where I know the opposite is true.

Mark