Cafe Sport from Czech

Troutman

Hi people.

New to the forum, i'm from Scotland and love motorcycles.

At the beggining of September I fly out to Brno, Czech Republic to buy a V11 which I have been after for years. This is the Cafe Sport model.

So I get to ride it back through the Alps to Geneva where it will be crated up and brought back to the UK on a lorry while I get to fly (no time)

Not got many photos but you get the idea

76746758.jpg

I can't wait, at 46 I need to do more of this type of thing, finances allowing.

Anything I need to look into? I've already bought it (deposit), it's just been to Moto Guzzi dealer for a big service, new tyres and battery. 22k kms so 13k miles. 

Those keen eyed amongst you will notice the rocker covers are black and not brown as they should be, they have been painted unfortunately , not from damage just aesthetics.

• Like 3

Nice bike I've owned 2 Cafe Sports in the UK there's not many here, no problems on a late V11 except the gear shift spring will probably break at some point, there's an effective mod now using a coil spring

welcome Troutman. lovely motorcycle.. Keep us posted on your new adventure. (country pub lot photos) ;)

Steve S... I'm currently working on a coil spring mod myself. Do you have a link or maybe some input to the task? It seems fairly straightforward but one never knows, maybe a better idea out there?

welcome Troutman. lovely motorcycle.. Keep us posted on your new adventure. (country pub lot photos) ;)

Steve S... I'm currently working on a coil spring mod myself. Do you have a link or maybe some input to the task? It seems fairly straightforward but one never knows, maybe a better idea out there?

I don't know how tooled up you are, but if you need some machining done, bring it over. Having a coil spring conversion on the site would benefit us all.

Troutman, what a great plan! Looking forward to some photos from the Alps!

If I were doing this, I would obtain and install 5 OMRON G8HE relays specified in the "Best Relay" thread pinned in Technical Topics.

Ride well!

Poor guy.  You have to ride all that way?  Through mountains and vistas in Europe in September?  

I'd be willing to deliver it for ya and save you the misery.  I'd probably not charge too much for the service.  Just sayin'.  

Call me if you need me.

If I were doing this, I would obtain and install 5 OMRON G8HE relays specified in the "Best Relay" thread pinned in Technical Topics.

Ride well!

Are the originals likely to pack up on me? It's only 4 days, thing is I'm taking a small rucksack with clothes etc in, not really wanting to take much in the way of tools. I take it relays are easy to get at? 

Poor guy.  You have to ride all that way?  Through mountains and vistas in Europe in September?  

I'd be willing to deliver it for ya and save you the misery.  I'd probably not charge too much for the service.  Just sayin'.  

Call me if you need me.

Of course, but I think i'll manage fine :P

Ride well!

Are the originals likely to pack up on me? It's only 4 days, thing is I'm taking a small rucksack with clothes etc in, not really wanting to take much in the way of tools. I take it relays are easy to get at? 

Yes, they are easy to get at. Just take the seat off and you are looking at them. Will one fail if it's the OEM relay? Probably not, but maybe. It would only take a minute to put the new relays in.

I don't know how tooled up you are, but if you need some machining done, bring it over. Having a coil spring conversion on the site would benefit us all.

A good friend has helped me with mock-up parts from his pile of stuff. I'm going off the photos I have of the "Japanese kit". My goal is sourcing readily available quality parts and make sure it all fits and shifts correctly. I have some stuff coming from McMaster Carr to test out. I have some time 'cause the bike is down. No pics 'cause my img host is not ready. I think I have enough toolage, (hammers for sure) but will certainly accept machining help when needed. Thank you

Ride well!

Ride well!

Yes, they are easy to get at. Just take the seat off and you are looking at them. Will one fail if it's the OEM relay? Probably not, but maybe. It would only take a minute to put the new relays in.

Yeah, they're under the seat. Failure to start or running issues have been reported from weak or inadequate relays. I suppose I could say I know of six or eight instances for certain. Are there V11 out there still running on their original Seimans? Sure, but why take the chance with something so easy to take with you and change?

If I had more time I would leave them, little breakdowns often lead to meeting great people and making new friends.

However I need to make it to Geneva for a fixed time and day so yes I will get some new relays. Anyone in the UK know of a good source for these Omron ones?.

Call me if you need me.

Of course, but I think i'll manage fine :P

heck,I'd even provide the relays (one spare will do you on the road).