Looking for a Veglia Tach

vtwins4life

I did some investigation on the non-working tach on my greenie this weekend and it looks like I need a new one (or a pointer to someone who rebuilds them). All of the connections were solid on the back, or at least they were until I tried to remove the posts (thinking they were threaded in). Now they just spin loosely...and it's anyone's guess how you remove them and get the back cover of the damn thing off. 

I'm tossing in the towel on this one and seeking a replacement or rebuild. I did get the hokey DIY tail lamp remounted and it looks a lot better. Plus the bike shrugged off the winter nap and was eager to make things happen on the back roads yesterday.  

Spring is here...at last!

VT4L

Check and see if it rattles.  If so, then the counterweight has come loose.  Take the bezel off (hose clamp around the housing and ground down paint can opener pry tool) and glue the counterweight back on.

If you need it fixed call Joel Levine  https://joellevinecompany.com/Speedo-Tach-Repair

But have to agree, buying the used one would be a deal.

• 2 weeks later...

Another good option is contacting Speedhut . These guys sell tachs and gps speedos. They make the dials look pretty close to the Veglia. I agree that finding another Veglia can be a pain.

Quick update here - Joel Levine says "mechanical tachs only - nothing electronic" so my search continues...

VT4L

does it rattle?

The only hard part with fixing the Veglias is getting parts. I have a couple of free (Guzzi content)  :) Veglias from wrecked bikes to cannibalize if necessary for the Mighty Scura.

I believe it might have rattled before I put it back on the bike, but since there is no clear way to open the case I'm not sure how that knowledge helps me. How do I open this thing without totally destroying it ?

Vt4L

The bezel retaining the front glass can be carefully pried off a little at a time. I broke my glass doing it this way, but others have done it successfully.

Another member cut the can with a Dremel-type tool with cut-off wheel and put the can back together with metalized duct tape.

Good luck!

I thought I posted on this, but it must have gone to the ether.. 

What you *have* to do is keep the bezel from deforming. Because I could, I machined a cavity in some plastic I always have laying around and pushed it into it. Once that is done, you can carefully pry up the crimp a little bit at a time with something like a tack puller. You don't have to go all the way around. 

I have read of some successfully using a large hose clamp around the bezel to do the same thing, but have never tried that.

Make sure it rattles before you go to the bother of taking it apart.   Otherwise it's wasted effort (although someone did solder the windings).

There was a step-by-step picture thread on WG.  Get a hose clamp to tighten around the speedo case close to the bezel.  Get a paint can opener and file it off so that it's very thin and sharp at the tip so you can work it under the bezel.  Then just keep at it until you can pry it off.  If you break the glass, any glass shop should be able to cut you another one.

Once you get it open, glue the counterweight on with epoxy.

When you reassemble, use some soap around the rubber seal and keep twisting.  This is probably more difficult than taking it apart.

My guess is that Levine would probably do this if it only needed the counterweight reattached.  The bezel is a booger bear but you have nothing to lose.

dunno if the bezels are available or not.  If they are, I suppose you could cut the old one with a dremel or hacksaw and throw it away.

I know that someone on WG actually cut the metal cup into two and soldered it back together.  

It would be nice if anyone hoarding more than one would consider selling it to me :-). I am fairly new to Guzzi ownership and don't have a war chest amassed in the garage like it seems many of you do. 

I'll pay fair market value of course!

Vt4L