SoCal Kevin

Fork Seal Clip Removal... HOW?

I am in the process of changing my fork seals due to a leak.  Simple enough until I got to the seal retaining clip.  It is a smooth, completely circular clip that fits tightly into the groove on the fork leg.  I cannot figure out how to get something in to grasp the clip to remove it.  Hopefully someone has done this before, any ideas would be greatly appreciated...

20180716_202041.jpg

I've not done this exact job Kevin, but it looks like a tiny flat screwdriver at the end would get the clip started out.

Agreed… it looks like that would be the approach, but no dice.  I tried a flat screwdriver, a pick tool and a very small pair of needle nose pliers but I can't seem to get behind it, or catch an edge to pull it out and the pliers could not get enough grip.  So far its clip 1, Kevin 0.  

When I changed the seals on my Aprilia Showa forks the clip had a notch that made it simple.  Not so on this... I can't believe a clip is outsmarting me like this.

I use a real dentist dental pick. (Dated a dental hygienist many years ago) You have to use your finger to keep the ring from rotating while you dig under the other edge of the gap.  Once one end of the ring pops up, drop the pick, keep holding the ring with the one finger and use the now freed finger to pull the ring straight up.

Thanks to the responses above + Google + YouTube I was able to see that by carefully inserting a very small screwdriver behind the clip I could work it out just enough to slip a second screwdriver (both flatheads) underneath and work the clip up and out of the groove.  No issues once you understand the process.  Hope this is able to help someone else save some time if they undertake the same project.

• Like 2

Link that YouTube and we'll leave this thread in "How to . . ." :luigi:

Otherwise, *questions* are best posted to Technical Topics. :nerd:

• Like 1

Cool, thanks! We can leave this thread in "How to . . ." now that it shows us > how to