Jump to content
docc

Throttle Body rebuild/replacement

Recommended Posts

What with some miles/km rolling up on these lovelies, I thought it time for a dedicated throttle body thread.  At ~112,000 miles, I'm having a tough time getting the Sport to idle and balance. The lower shaft on the left no longer seals and the linkage is quite loose on the right. I have replacement rack to install, then noticed another hi-miler (Andy York's LeMans) has a replacement set ready to go . . .

IMG_0561.JPG

So, let's share some insights and methods for the care and feeding of our throttle bodies . . .

IMG_9138.jpg

  • Like 4

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I truly admire and appreciate your dedication to maintaining your bike and the knowledge you share so clearly with our little community. :notworthy:

  • Like 1
  • Thanks 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

My Sport is totally a product of this community, V11LeMans.com. I am so grateful for all of you. 

As this thread comes together, I hope to add it to the "How to . . ." for best access as other V11 come into range for the throttle bodies needing attention.

Mine were replaced under warranty (entire rail with injectors and TPS) because they would drip. My excellent dealer told me they do that if you pressurize the system briefly and shut it off. And he was totally right! I was doing this continually: start up the Sport for someone (or just me! :grin:) to listen to the idle and rap the throttle a few times. :sun:

Their method was to crab the spineframe to change the throttle body rail, which ain't too bad unless you have added the fussy center frame brace, as I have.  Andy York mentioned he intends to loose the left side throttle body and slide the racks out and in. I would like to know more about that.

Also, I recall others who have sealed (O-ringed) and rebushed their shafts. I hope to get those references here as well.

Thanks, again, to all! :thumbsup:

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
7 hours ago, docc said:

What with some miles/km rolling up on these lovelies, I thought it time for a dedicated throttle body thread.  At ~112,000 miles, I'm having a tough time getting the Sport to idle and balance. The lower shaft on the left no longer seals and the linkage is quite loose on the right. I have replacement rack to install, then noticed another hi-miler (Andy York's LeMans) has a replacement set ready to go . . .

IMG_0561.JPG

So, let's share some insights and methods for the care and feeding of our throttle bodies . . .

IMG_9138.jpg

Curious,,, will the replacement rack recieve attention, injectors delivering sort of the same amount of fuel, cleaning them 2ways.   More school work. I never use the word regret,, but If I had been doing this much reading at school as here,,,,  oh well.

Cheers tom.        :rasta:

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Other than cleaning this throttle body/injector rack with copious amounts of throttle body cleaner, I did not intend to service them further. They are from an 8700 mile crashed Greenie V11.

I have heard the fasteners anchoring the cross rails are Red-Loctite nightmares. Maybe not so bad on the bench, but to pull my long-time left-side throttle body on the bike? Not sure about that . . . :huh2:

Also not sure why Andy York has decided to address his throttle bodies at this point?  :huh2:

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Faith is a good thing,,, she probably will run fine with 8700miles.   A big amount of patience and gentle :luigi: to remove the injecktor on the bike, like an hour.   Controlled breathing and beer  :bier:

Cheers tom.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
46 minutes ago, docc said:

Other than cleaning this throttle body/injector rack with copious amounts of throttle body cleaner, I did not intend to service them further. They are from an 8700 mile crashed Greenie V11.

I have heard the fasteners anchoring the cross rails are Red-Loctite nightmares. Maybe not so bad on the bench, but to pull my long-time left-side throttle body on the bike? Not sure about that . . . :huh2:

Also not sure why Andy York has decided to address his throttle bodies at this point?  :huh2:

Very true docc. My set of sideflow throttle bodies for the Daytona engine were like this. Stripped one of the screw heads off. Was very fortunate the others came out(on the bench)

My advice is plenty of heat with a small propane torch and all should be ok.

I did manage to get out the broken one without damage by an easy out and the heat but it was a nervous task

Ciao

 

  • Thanks 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Boring them is not a bad idea, as long as it is just for smoothing the wear marks

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Just as a related aside, what happened to the "anyone bore out a throttle body" thread?  I can't find it.

The forum "notifications" said my answer was set as "best answer of the topic" (which is kinda cool)  but now I can't find the thread.  When I click on that notification I get:

Quote

Sorry, there is a problem

You do not have permission to view this content.

Error code: 2F173/K

 

  • Like 1
  • Confused 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
39 minutes ago, al_roethlisberger said:

Just as a related aside, what happened to the "anyone bore out a throttle body" thread?  I can't find it.

The forum "notifications" said my answer was set as "best answer of the topic" (which is kinda cool)  but now I can't find the thread.  When I click on that notification I get:

 

someone must have deleted it :whistle:

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 hours ago, al_roethlisberger said:

Just as a related aside, what happened to the "anyone bore out a throttle body" thread?  I can't find it.

The forum "notifications" said my answer was set as "best answer of the topic" (which is kinda cool)  but now I can't find the thread.  When I click on that notification I get:

 

 

3 hours ago, sp838 said:

someone must have deleted it :whistle:

Yep, if the original Poster (OP) deletes the original post, the thread is gone.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I sent a pair of injectors to "InjectorsRX".When I get them back, I will send them the other 2 I have.Screen Shot 2019-07-19 at 5.07.11 PM.png

  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I do not think that this is the problem with "tuning " the TB sync. I also put new shaft seals in both TB's. There was an old thread on wild goose about this.

Plus I was tired of the spooge on my floor that looking like leaky carbs .

I got the seals from Cycle works ? in CA.  Same seals as a Duc uses. These seals are the good ones

 Screen Shot 2019-07-19 at 5.18.24 PM.png

they are a bit pricey but I did not want to spend the time trying to track down something locally.

If you are going to be removing any screws make sure you use a good tool. The mounting screws are 3mm hex.Make sure you get it seated 

all the way. The TB plates are torx bit #20 I think. I did not have a problem with them.I did have some problems with the 3mm hex.

WARNING!!!!  If you pull the TB plates out, make some scribe marks so you will know how to re-install them. You can spend HOURS trying to get the

plates back in correctly ....and you still may not be correct.

andy

 

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

What is the problem? Centering them? I've never done that so far.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Yep . You practice on a throttle plate from a junk carb and see what happens . You will be making marks all over the next one . Do these one at a time to not mix parts .

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

Loading...

×
×
  • Create New...