The Low Down Gear Oil Blues

docc

Time for Gearbox and Rear Drive/ Bevel Drive oil changes (over 12,000 miles/ 20.000 km) before the South'n Spine Raid.

At the cusp of rolling over 100,000 miles, I've used many different gear oils in these two applications. I have always favored RedLine Shockproof Lightweight (blue) in the Gearbox, but admittedly have used "cocktails" before.

I started out using the MG Final Drive oil that had the moly mixed in (apparently a Motul product?), but it became unavailable (seemingly), so I went to RedLine Shockproof Heavy. Through a series of changes, I feel certain I overfilled it and prompted seal leaks that plagued me for a long time. During that time, and since, Ive used a variety of lubricants in the Rear Drive including the addition of a moly additive.

Now for The Blues . . . I have a shelf full of various, left-over, high quality gear oils (Agip, RedLine, Mobile1) and even a little moly additive (Kal-Gard) that I ponder making "cocktails" (combinations of remaining lubricants) or doing a fill with a single lubricant that I have enough of.

So, Mob1 75-145 GL-5 or RL 80-140 GL-5+ is fine for the Rear Drive (with/ or without the moly additive)? Or too viscous at operating temperature?

And for the Gearbox, RedlIne MTL 70W-80 GL-4? Or is that too "light?" (I don't want to munt my gearbox. we have enough threads on that already! :mellow: )

There is also a bottle of Agip 85W-140 GL-4/5 I'd like to use, but for what?

I appreciate all of your insight and input!  :thumbsup:  

turning over 100,000 miles? I'd treat her to some fresh bought store product of what the book calls for..

...and save the cocktails for the lawn equipment.

Really ?

It's what forums, and The Blues, are for, right? :grin:

I seem to remember a guy with really (really, really) high miles on his V11 that used to run RL SP Super-light in both the gearbox and the bevel drive.

I wonder how that worked out . . . . 

Pfffft. Much ado about nothing, IMHO> I ran my Centauro with Mobil1 75-145 or the 80-140 for years without issue. If I had a choice, I'd run the heavier weight in the rear drive. I've been running Redline green, whatever weight that is in the Mighty Scura, but didn't have enough to fill the transmission when I put the new centering spring in. So, now I'll be running 700cc green mixed with 150cc pink milk shake in the transmission. 

I'd be a little concerned about mixing different brands in case of additive packages not being compatible, but not *really* concerned.  :huh2:  It's just oil.

That said, I run dino in the small blocks with moly in the rear drive. Guzzi guru Sean Fader told me to. 

Edit for typo

Pfffft. Much ado about nothing, IMHO>    It's just oil.

That's how I feel about it - but then I remind myself "you don't know what you don't know" and I try to play it safe by following recommendations. I mean, somebody put some thought into the recommendations...

That being said, I'll put anything that's remotely similar into the crankcase to top it off - especially if I'm getting close to an oil change. 

That's what the blues is all about: