Champagne wishes...

Scud

Got a little more play-time today. Some highlights:  Painted the final drive and reaction rod. Tried cleaning and greasing the steering bearings, but they were too far gone - so I finally had to get a real hammer and punch out the races... bearings on order. And I had previously powdercoated a spare fuel door - so took the opportunity to install that.

IMG_5739.jpg

It was so thoughtful of you to put a paper towel down for the greasy bearings to look after the wife's plaid tablecloth.  :whistle:

She hasn't asked about her cutting board  yet? :o

Funny interpretation Docc. That's a woodworking bench and it does sort of look like a cutting board in that picture. And that's Joe's old flannel shirt. He wrapped a bunch of parts in clothes before he shipped the project to me.

I'm doing this project in the "small" garage. My house has a 3-car garage - split into a 2-car (but truly a 1-car with bicycles and surfboards) and a 1-car (aka 4-motorcycle). The Scura project recently hogged the 2-car for months - and she had to park outside. She recently discovered my stash of clean plastic parts in my daughter's room (she is away at college and we keep her room closed while she's gone.) I was at work during the "discovery" and I received a text with the word  "hoarder" in it. Don't know why...  :huh2:  ...but as long as she can park in the garage the "problem" is not out of control. 

More rain today... a lot more rain... so I am just trying to get everything clean, organized, adjusted, lubed, etc. so assembly will go quick when I get all the goodies back from the powdercoater. Steering bearings were an unpleasant surprise.

I confess to trying my new ultrasonic cleaner in the kitchen while she was away (you can see the kitchen counter under the paper towel). Swore my youngest daughter to secrecy in the name of "scientific experimentation." Here are some front brake caliper parts before and after 10 minutes of ultrasound with nothing but tap water in the tub.

IMG_5736.jpg    IMG_5737.jpg

Then I cleaned her wedding ring in it... ultrasonic...

The cleaner made a nice start on those brake parts. I guess those pins and the fastener threads should be polished up now?

A little, light smear of silcone grease on the pins and thread lubricant/ anti-seize  on the fasteners?

*Shine on you Crazy Diamond!* :thumbsup:

Yes to most of the above, even though the pins are worn (threads seemed clean enough to me). Plus new copper crush washers at banjo bolts. 

Brembo replacement pins are surprisingly expensive. I found an aftermarket set of titanium pins:

https://www.amazon.com/Titanium-Brake-Caliper-Brembo-Pack/dp/B00APO1V5Y/ref=pd_rhf_ee_p_img_3?_encoding=UTF8&psc=1&refRID=ZHF6JHDDY3SF2GZB2Y7Y

I might put these on the Scura and let the project benefit from "trickle-down-economics."

Now I need some help/advice...

I thought I'd do the "Lucky Phil" shift improvement and replace all the springs in the pre-selector. Drained the oil... nothing came out... Joe must have drained it already... no worries.  Opened it up and...

Warning to the squeamish...

IMG_5745.jpg

What is the appropriate response to this?

Looks like redline heavy to me. Wipe it out with paper towels, clean with solvent. No big deal. When I pulled the cover on the Mighty Scura, all the gears were liberally covered with shockproof light. That stuff doesn't go away..

And if don't have a good way to dispose of gasoline... what other solvent would you recommend?

So glad I found it now. I would have otherwise just assumed it was empty, then put fresh oil on top of that mess.

IMG_5743.jpg

And is this clutch hub OK for a while longer? I put used clutch internals back in. I know I've seen pictures of worse looking hubs, but I'd like the bike to be in good condition for the future owner. Run or replace?

Uhh, it won't get any better in another 20 K miles or so.. :rasta: 

Edit:

Oh, Stoddard solvent is sort of a standard. Another really good grease cutter is that water soluble purple stuff at the local car place. Forgot the name, sue me.

Just the same, you can see why you have to be *really* careful on the rear drives. There's not much volume there.  Draining and measuring will generally overfill them if you are using Shockproof.

• Like 1

+1 on overfilling (especially the rear drive) with RLSP-heavy. cannot simply drain, measure, and fill.

Water soluble cleaner: "Super-Clean?"

gallery_328_223_163751.jpeg

I spooned out the blood-pudding.  :food:   Also disassembled and degreased the pre-selector. 

But I could use a little more handholding....

I assume I should not be flushing with water (even if I use a water-soluble cleaner). I have some of that purple-stuff, the Super Clean. So do I just wipe the worst of the sludge out, spray it with solvent, turn the gears, and just wipe what I can reach? Then I refill with proper gear oil and go?

Sorry if this is too basic, but getting inside a transmission is still pretty new to me.

I spooned out the blood-pudding.  :food:   Also disassembled and degreased the pre-selector. 

I assume I should not be flushing with water (even if I use a water-soluble cleaner). I have some of that purple-stuff, the Super Clean. So do I just wipe the worst of the sludge out, spray it with solvent, turn the gears, and just wipe what I can reach? Then I refill with proper gear oil and go?

Sorry if this is too basic, but getting inside a transmission is still pretty new to me.

You suggestions seem good to me. I'd be reluctant to get any water inside the gearbox. Bearings can get little pits on the races where water is trapped, then you have ugly noises and metal on the drain plug magnet.

Washing the selector is fine, as you can heat it and dry it easily.