Champagne wishes...

Scud

I tried the bevel pry once, broke the glass, doubled my vocabulary, and generally made a mess of it. :bbblll:

Ha - reminds me of what JB said recently about "learned restraint" being useful. And I've got lots of other stuff to do - like strip and paint the engine.

The trick with removing the bevel is to capture it so it can't deform while working up the crimp. I've *read of* somebody doing it with a hose clamp. (Guzzi content.) I machined a flat bottom pocket the right depth that the gauge just fits with a push. Used a tack puller to slowly go around the crimp. No problemo.

Here's how I got into a speedo recently

IMG_0027.JPG

Using a dremel I cut through the retaining ring at the back where it would be hidden when in place by the instrument panel.

Cutting the metal into small lengths so that as they were almost straight they would bend up easily.

IMG_0028.JPG

Putting everything back together, which I dont have a picture of, I held the assembled parts down onto a bench with a wood clamp & using a punch worked each strip of metal back into place.

A bead of clear silicon sealed the cuts & when mounted in the instrumental panel can't be seen.

nobles - that's a good technique. Maybe you should also post it in the Veglia thread so more people can find it later.

moto - it's easier on this side, because there's a huge shelf full of crap on the other side.  :grin:  Seriously, I haven't tried it the other way. I just got the stand with this project. I did notice that the lower porkchop nuts were kind of beat up from the stand. So I split some old rubber hose and made pads for the Vs that contact the bolts.

And... I got the backend together so she's standing on her own two feet again... and I got some more stuff off my bench. Ironically, this is about the same state of assembly as the photo you picked from near the start of the project.

IMG_5882.jpg

All the motorcycle parts are officially moved out of the house. I fit the engine to test the clutch operation, and it works, so I'm pleased about that. It's gotta come back out for paint though.

I couldn't resist doing a quick preview. Plus, I had to "store" all those parts somewhere... :whistle:

IMG_5884.jpg

IMG_5883.jpg

So glad I bought new stainless hardware. Nothing but stainless would work with the Candy-Apple.

• Like 4

And Lucky Phil bad mouthed me for the gaudy RED gaiters on the Aero Lario.. :)

You mean these...

4-005_zpsgwurq5pg.jpg