Champagne wishes...

Scud

Just for the record, there have been as many V11 through Scud's Crucible that there were at the very first South'n Spine Raid in 2003.

It's like a crop circle of it's very own . . .  :mg::luigi::o:drink:

Spine Raid in my garage!!  :drink:  :drink:  :drink:  :drink:

It's a fun puzzle to put this bike back together with the best of whatever bits I have... I grabbed the rear axle from the parts bike today, because the Champagne's rear axle had clearly been overheated, probably during a wheel-bearing failure. And the clutch and brake reservoirs and brackets from the Scura (from when I put those pretty Rizoma tanks on).... and... and... and... now I need to "re-organize" and get myself some working space again.

... now I need to "re-organize" and get myself some working space again.

Story of my life!   :grin:

• Like 1

Just for the record, there have been as many V11 through Scud's Crucible that there were at the very first South'n Spine Raid in 2003.

Docc, I like your thinking ; next Spine raid in So CA, centered on Scud's garage. Tech sessions on whatever is being 're assembled'.

Glorious roads aplenty, Scud always comes back with 400 mile round trips where whimps such as myself are pleased with 270 mile days.

I'll even bring the good beer from Ohio !

The moral of the story? Ask when she's distracted.  :oldgit:

You have learned well, grasshopper..

You haven't met Jude yet have you Chuck? A huge brute of a woman with arms like Popeye and a mouth like a Glaswegian docker! She also has a mind like a steel trap, she wouldn't miss something like that because she was 'Distracted'! The punishment she would meet out would be medieval in its ferocity and biblical in its extent.

• Like 1

Which engine to use? That's pretty easy - the complete one.  However, I thought some of you might be interested to see two 2002 cases side by side. On the left, we have a case that was replaced under warranty and has done about 50,000 miles.  On the right, we have a case that was not replaced - and you can see how the paint is starting to bubble and peel. This engine only had 12,000 miles on it - and it's likely to get much worse.

IMG_5714.jpg

I think I'm going to put the engine in as-is. The thought of stripping and repainting another engine is just more than I can bear. The transmission cleaned up well, but the paint also starting to bubble. I am going to repaint all the crinkle-painted parts behind the transmission (driveshaft collars, final drive case, and reaction rod). Joe had already repainted the final drive in Harley crinkle, but I'm going to put in the lower-milage one, which was already peeling badly.

Here's a how a spine-frame would look as an inline V-twin.  :grin:

IMG_5716.jpg

And if this is discovered, I think I will get penalized for "illegal use of corner." At least it's all freshly degreased...  :ninja:

IMG_5715.jpg

And if I may add... 50,000 miles can make quite a disgusting and stubborn mess inside an airbox.

The moral of the story? Ask when she's distracted.  :oldgit:

You have learned well, grasshopper..

You haven't met Jude yet have you Chuck? A huge brute of a woman with arms like Popeye and a mouth like a Glaswegian docker! She also has a mind like a steel trap, she wouldn't miss something like that because she was 'Distracted'! The punishment she would meet out would be medieval in its ferocity and biblical in its extent.

I have not seen that side of Jude, Pete, but have noted that -- properly prompted by some stooopid comment or act of mine :huh2: -- Kathi can go from a distaff Dr. Jekyll :wub: to Mrs. Hyde :angry2: in a heartbeat.  

Be that as it may, for a scholar of Roman history as is Jude, your 'twixt "biblical & medieval" seems a most apt description!   :)

Having met Jude, however, it is wonderfully interesting what an elegant counterpoint she is to you, Pete.   :D

Bill

Glad you're following the project. A while back, somebody said something like: "You never really own a V11. You just take care of it until it chooses a new owner."

New fuel lines, filter, and stainless clamps. That stuff adds up... almost $60 for that little task.  Also cleaned the throttle bodies and injectors, which gave me another chance to play with the injector cleaner that MartyNZ made. It lights up... :sun:  Cleaned up the front calipers and got all four pistons to retract just with hand pressure. New pads on the ready...

IMG_5735.jpg

Flywheel and clutch is in (using new bolts and springs). Joe's clutch discs were 7.69mm and 7.66mm and the intermediate plate was 2.88mm. He said it was working fine and he was just going to reinstall as-is. But I installed the clutch and flywheel from the 12,000 mile parts bike - the discs and plate were a combined .43mm thicker. Had a heck of a time getting all the springs to seat correctly in the pressure plate - then figured out a trick. The springs don't stand perfectly straight, so if you let them all lean into the center, it's easy to reach in and push them back into the recesses in the pressure plate. If you don't seat them correctly, you cannot compress the pressure plate enough to install the rest of the clutch (ask me how I know...)

Also dug through my parts stash. Anything that was better is now staged for assembly time... which will be after powdercoating is done.

If you squeeze the bottom coil a little with channel locks, it'll hold on to the stub in the recess of the spring well.

Thanks, I've read about that being helpful to get the springs to stay in the flywheel when installing the pressure plate with the engine vertical. But I laid the engine down on an old tire so I could drop everything in from above. The problem was with getting the springs to seat into the spring wells of the pressure plate - you have to get 10 springs to go into 10 wells that you cannot see. I used the aftermarket springs that MG Cycle sells. I think they are little thicker than the OEM springs. Anyway... it just took one beer and one bloody knuckle - so not too bad of a job. I was really puzzled at first about why I couldn't get all the clutch parts into the flywheel.