Zinc chromate

docc

I do love the matte green of the post war (WWII) racing Moto Guzzi, especially Carcano's Otto Cylindri., as well as the magnificent V11 Tenni homage paint scheme.

I have hatched a plan to paint a subtle section of my V11 Sport in honor of this heritage. :mg:

Seems not all Zn chromate paints are the same color. What would be the closest to the traditional hue, and who makes a good reliable product? (I intend to clear coat it with a good satin like Eastwood Diamond Clear).

EDIT/14 December 2016: Seems it is the photography that makes zinc chromate (on vintage Guzzi race bikes) look so differently in pictures.

The compound Zinc Chromate is a dirty yellow color, which weathers to brown if exposed to the weather. If it is used in etch primer then it is immediately covered with pigmented paint. ZC etch primer is applied in a very thin layer and is yellowish clear.

ZC is a very good component of primer paints but usually has pigments added for UV protection, and to help the painter check coverage. The pigments can be yellow, green, grey, or even red oxide.

If you look at pictures of an Airbus in construction before it is painted, you can see the Spanish, British, French, & German parts looking like a patchwork of different shades of yellow and green.

Zinc Chromate is poisonous, and has been restricted in EU since 2004ish, and more recently in USA, but is one of the best compounds for protecting against corrosion.

I think that you should select the color shade that you want, and use a good automotive paint. Most primers are intended to be overcoated.

You can get a phone app that uses your camera to determine the pantone color that may be useful.

• Like 1

So . . . a zinc chromate-like green colored paint?

I suppose that is what the Tenni is.

I thought of doing my Stucchi flyscreen, but like it too much in the body color.

It's the alternator cover I'm after. It's due a refresh . . . I think it would be pretty subtle, but somehow have a special significance in that color. :mg:

In your search, consider picking up a can of Dupli-color self etching primer. Worse case you can use it around the shop. I liked the cap color a lot but it does not come close to my Tenni, which, I think is also not very close to the original dustbin. The newer Tenni Green is even further from the original, imo. I did find a cap color at Lowes that came really close to the Tenni, but I've misplaced it. Will get back to you. I like green things too.

I've also thought about adding a number plate "ring" reminiscent of the Marabese V11 monoposto prototype, but that's another matter entirely. Further complicated by my trying to "loose" the passenger seat cowl in favor of a stylized bum-stop seat . . .

So, probably no number plates for the Sport, but I do feel good having Gambalunghino badging that honors Luciano Marabese and his design inspiration from the Gambalunghino to the V11 Sport. That connection was unknown to me when I had them made.

"further complicated by my trying to "loose" the passenger seat cowl in favor of a stylized bum-stop seat . . ."

is your aim to have a solid vinyl seat bum stop, like a Corbin? or bodywork to replace the cowl, as in filling in the cowl seams to make the tail all one piece? I have a Corbin you can borrow to do a mock-up if it would help. It's for an early model and is black with grey cowl area.

My idea has been to remove the passenger seat and its cowl entirely, and build a short bum stop into the seat itself to mate up with the tapered tail section but only extending its lines forward a few inches (not the almost 10 inches of the factory seat cowl). I think it will reduce the "visual mass" of the tail section significantly.

My mind's eye also can see a section of *Carcano green* stripe from the headlight to the windscreen interrupted by the Gambalungha eagle:

gallery_328_223_846557.jpeg

My idea has been to remove the passenger seat and its cowl entirely, and build a short bum stop into the seat itself to mate up with the tapered tail section but only extending its lines forward a few inches (not the almost 10 inches of the factory seat cowl). I think it will reduce the "visual mass" of the tail section significantly.

My mind's eye also can see a section of *Carcano green* stripe from the headlight to the windscreen interrupted by the Gambalungha eagle:

gallery_328_223_846557.jpeg

That's what I had on the Centauro as a solo seat. I probably have a picture somewhere, but Rich Maund did it.

As far as the "original" green goes, I've been looking at antique airplanes all my adult life, and the one I posted is close to the same color. Yes, any more there are different colors, even yellow. Back in the day.. it was Guzzi green. :oldgit::):rasta: 

800px-Alfred_T._Palmer_-_Assembling_the_

So, these B-25 Mitchells in zinc chromate primer look yellow because yellow pigment was added to the paint?

And, hey, Chuck, if you have a photo of that solo seat on the Centauro, I'd like to add it to the "Custom Seat" thread . . .

For your consideration... how about doing the frame and porkchops in green. For example, have you seen a 1000S with the green frame?

A silver sport with a more subtle green than the 1000S might look good; it would certainly be unique. If that intrigues, it's probably worth finding somebody good with photoshop to play around with it first.

• Like 1

My RedFrame? The RedFrame on my Sport? Yer talkin' about my RedFrame? :blink: You must be  . . . it's the only RedFrame I have  . . . Make my RedFrame green? :huh: I'm havin' nightmares and I'm not even asleep . . . a green RedFrame . . . :wacko:

• Like 4

My RedFrame? The RedFrame on my Sport? Yer talkin' about my RedFrame? :blink: You must be  . . . it's the only RedFrame I have  . . . Make my RedFrame green? :huh: I'm havin' nightmares and I'm not even asleep . . . a green RedFrame . . . :wacko:

Relax! Scud is just trying to sell you his parts bike.

Oh - oh - oh ,    ok, ok , I'm good now. Whew!

I did drive about 600 miles once to buy a 1000S with the green stripes. Cash in hand. Got there and #1, the guy changed the deal and jacked the price, and #2, it had a green frame!

I was a little shocked by the green frame. Worse by the deal change and came home with an empty trailer. Later, I came to really admire the green frame. And only now, waking up from Scud's-own-nightmare, can I see a black (black), ahem: BLACK V11 Sport with a 1000S style green frame. "Someone" oughta do that: a black V11 Sport with the gloss green frame of the 1000S . . .

• Like 1