Zinc chromate

docc

oh I see now... LOVE the zinc chromate look. I'd keep them all red, but silver and red would look awesome too. Are you keeping the zinc chromate or just using it as a primer?

Now I understand why Ing. Carcano's Otto Cylindri looks so different in every photograph. To the "naked eye," in natural light, zinc chromate looks "olive drab," but under fluorescent, LED, or flash photography, it *pops* rather bright yellow-green.

Curing the final clear on the radiator:

IMG_0628.JPG.jpeg

These V11 are pretty "tightly packed," especially if the owner decides to add things (FIAMM horns and redundant regulator grounds :rolleyes: ).

I was worried this attempt at an homage to both :notworthy: Guilio Carcano and :notworthy: Luciano Marabese could look far-fetched and be a "sore thumb."

But, I think it's gonna be okay. Can't wait to get it out in the natural light on the side stand. Should be pretty subtle. 

Moved the bus, but still have the stage lights on:

IMG_0637.JPG.jpeg

• Like 2

Looking good. I like how you painted the background of the emblem; I think that's better than solid red. And wow, what a huge difference in color between your two photos.

If you put this much thought and effort into every bit of your 100,000 mile refresh, we're gonna have a lot to talk about...

. . . chemistry to history to metallurgy to interstellar travel . . . 

:notworthy::mg::luigi::nerd::drink:

If you put this much thought and effort into every bit of your 100,000 mile refresh, we're gonna have a lot to talk about...

My, my . . . the 100k refresh . . . that is, perhaps, another matter entirely . . . 

So many people have asked me, "What are you going to do to the Sport at 100,000 miles? Complete tear-down? Heads? Clutch? Pistons? Drive shaft?"

In all honesty? It needs the regularly scheduled 6,000 mile/ 10.000km tune up (I'm on "Step One" of the Decent Tune-Up). At 5,943 miles the plugs looked rough enough that I think 4,000 is a better interval. I found no combustion "soot" around the top of the exhaust valves/guides. The right side valves were spot-on, and left needed 0.002" adjustment (with my *new* kewl valve adjustment tool).

I thought about replacing the original valve cover gaskets. But cleaned them instead. :oldgit:

Maybe I ought to replace the original sump gasket?

Oh - I thought that was your plan and that you were in need of clutch and possibly flywheel replacement. But if it's not in need of work, don't do it. Riding is way better than wrenching. I hope my Scura will go for 100,000 after all the "refreshing" I'm doing now.

Cosmetic stuff is great fun when it can be done without time pressure.

Well, I can say my flywheel is *noisier* now. Failure prone? Not likely. Clutch action seems fine.

[edit link to "Sticking Clutch?" thread/ July 2017 and the real reason my "flywheel" was getting noisy; "clutch action" failed six months after this post]:

https://www.v11lemans.com/forums/index.php?showtopic=20037&p=223175

Valve guides? And all these other vaunted failures? Evidently not eminent.

Just working the usual and ongoing maintenance intervals along with the various improvements (wiring and grounding, bearings and lubricants) we all know about already.

As it turns out, "100,000 miles" did not reveal itself as so momentous after seeing to scheduled maintenance and well advised "improvements."

So much so, that I could devote such time, effort, and resources to this homage to Carcano e Marabese.

And to all if the contributors to this forum. What a fantastic learning experience.  :thumbsup:

My, my . . . the 100k refresh . . . that is, perhaps, another matter entirely . . . 

So many people have asked me, "What are you going to do to the Sport at 100,000 miles? Complete tear-down? Heads? Clutch? Pistons? Drive shaft?"

In all honesty? It needs the regularly scheduled 6,000 mile/ 10.000km tune up (I'm on "Step One" of the Decent Tune-Up). At 5,943 miles the plugs looked rough enough that I think 4,000 is a better interval. I found no combustion "soot" around the top of the exhaust valves/guides. The right side valves were spot-on, and left needed 0.002" adjustment (with my *new* kewl valve adjustment tool).

I thought about replacing the original valve cover gaskets. But cleaned them instead. :oldgit:

Maybe I ought to replace the original sump gasket?

That is a cool tool. I had a heck of a time keeping the gaps stable while buttoning things up. Thanks for posting.

• Like 1

More sick zinc chromate fixation. Maybe it's the fumes . . . :wacko:

motoGuzzi1--499x285.jpg

One with the Gambalunga (predecessor to the Gambalunghino, basis for the Marabese V11 design):

MotoGuzzi2--499x285.jpg

And a pic showing how elusive the zinc chromate is to photograph:

MotoGuzzi3--499x285.jpg

Thanks to this site: http://www.ilsecoloxix.it/Facet/print/Uuid/c7ebc8c2-3ad4-11dd-8d9d-0003badbebe4/Al_via_il_motoradunodei_Guzzisti_Liguri_motoraduno.xml

• 2 weeks later...

The alt cover pretty much disappears in person. I can see why most "homage" Carcano/ Guzzi greens are more of a "satin spruce."

But, this is The Real Deal! :mg:

IMG_0784.JPG.jpeg

That's a nice detail. Looks like it might be some sort of warp drive.

• 2 years later...

Now I understand why Ing. Carcano's Otto Cylindri looks so different in every photograph. To the "naked eye," in natural light, zinc chromate looks "olive drab," but under fluorescent, LED, or flash photography, it *pops* rather bright yellow-green.

Curing the final clear on the radiator:

IMG_0628.JPG.jpeg

Two years and 10,000 miles. I have a new plan . . .

IMG_7537.jpg