Gearbox ratchet spring - Fix?

Baldini

After sdkfz11's post I spoke with the mechanic who said it was oversized boss on some ratchet arms that was causing springs to break. He supplied a new ratchet arm from stock, same part no.

The boss that the spring sits on measures 15mm diameter on this new part. My original part measured 16.3mm.

I assembled the ratchet arm & spring on the shift shaft. Using the original ratchet arm the spring becomes coilbound after only a small amount of movement, stopping further movement of the arm & noticably pulling the short arm of the spring away from the shift plate. Using the new ratchet arm, the parts moved freely & the spring did not bind.

I think that some bikes were fitted with this oversize boss & that this is the cause of the breaking springs.

KB :sun:

At last, I found the diagram

post-5-1068910851.jpg

There seemed to be general agreement that the 'left' spring was the bad one.

Is that the spring & pawl that you are talking about?

Sorry I'm ignorant at the moment, but won't be shortly, as I intend to check this out on my 2002 gearbox.

(The evidence, of this prolonged investigation, indicates that you must be that amateur detective, by the name of Baldini, who resides on Radio 4 from time to time?)

I tell ya, I'm really glad we finally have this one sorted out. I don't know when I'll get around to tearing into the box to measure mine, but it's good to know.

Just for clarification, the arrow below is pointing to the boss that should be 15mm, correct?

al

post_5_1068910851.jpg

finally have this one sorted ....the arrow below is pointing to the boss that should be 15mm, correct?

Well I hope this is the answer, I don't wanna open gbox every 3k miles. I believe Guzzi knew there was a problem - long time back. I heard talk of a replacement plate a year back, but I thought it was plate on shift shaft.

Yes Al, that is the boss, should measure 15mm diam.

Yes Belfastguzzi, those are the parts, but no I am not this so called Baldini, R4 detective - the chap is clearly an imposter.

First thing that has made sense on the "pawl spring" "return spring" issue. Thanks much KB for your detective work. Can you tell us the new part number for the smaller rachet arm. regards david

Can you tell us the new part number for the smaller rachet arm.

I believe it has the same part no as original ( 04 23 51 01 ). Theory goes there was a batch supplied with incorrect diameter boss, but who knows - maybe Guzzi changed spec. But correct part to Guzzi spec is OK...You have to measure diam of the boss at the bottom of the ratchet (pawl) arm - 15mm is correct, otherwise parts appear identical.

Thanks are due to Mark at Twiggers Motorcycles in Loughborough, UK who figured this.

Guest sweep

Thanks guys for the possible answer to the broken return spring syndrome :bier:

I have just had my 6th fitted in conjunction with my 12000mile service but unfortunatly read the artical to late to pass on to my dealer for this time, he had already closed everything back up! but as I plan on covering close to 2000 miles this coming long weekend my new spring will be just about shot. so they are going to fit new arm and spring when i get home, yust for good luck I have a "spair " spring on my key fob.

I hope to meet all you other U.K. riders at the meeting in the midlands soon.

ride safe Chris

I updated the FAQ.

So I wonder at what mileage one should feel "safe" at if the spring has not gone South yet??

In other words, if it hasn't happened by x miles, can one reasonably assume that it's unlikey they have the mis-sized boss?

al

at what mileage one should feel "safe"

Al,

Do a poll?

The spring is coilbound at the further reaches of peddle movement. It seems to me the harder you are on the pedal, & the more you use the gearbox the more you'll fatigue the spring. Could be huge variation in milage. Welsh roads/Texas roads...

But most breaks I've heard of have been quite early on...Sweeps' 6 springs in 12K is worst I've heard. Mine went 2,600 & 6,300, so I guess I was on track for similar.

It's a warranty job, no question.

Cheers, KB. :sun:

Hello,

I would like to know until wich years of made there is this problem.

I have a recent Rosso Corsa but made in 2002 ( ZGUKTA0102M111385 (02 is the year))

and prevently for the next revision I want to envisage...

thanks of your experience.

See two posts above :P

Unfortunately the answer is: "...we don't know" :huh2:

As noted in the Transmission Spring FAQ, it seems that this is predominantly a 2002(2001 Europe) problem, but we have heard of at least one 2003(2002 Europe, like your Rosso), and a 2001 or two.

So, it seems that this may have been a supplier "parts bin" issue, and may be hard to know exactly which models/years have the issue until a spring breaks.

Sorry I can't offer something more specific. But I will say that with a 2003(2002 Europe) bike, it should be much less likely that you received the defective part.

al

Guest sweep

Hi every one just back from a weekend of thrashing around the ardennes in Belgium,(some of the best bike roads within easy reach of the UK) every thing from linked hairpins to 120mph footrest draging never ending sweepers. I shagged my back tyre and my 6th spring! it lasted 1500miles but the box was worked very hard keeping with much faster bikes, also had the old gal sat at 140mph for 10 mins on the motorway in luxembourg. even if i had to be recovered the last 100 miles home it was worth every mile i still havent wiped the silly grin of my face. :mg:

on another note fuel consumption, even with the revs spending most of the time between 5and 8000 rpm all day and being thrashed in every gear I was geting 150 miles before the fuel light came on

• 11 years later...

Welcome my Friends

I have a problem with purchased Moto Guzzi V11 Le Mans Rosso Corsa 2003 years of production. I detected already quite familiar damage of spring in the gearbox. I would like to replace it, but we found information that at the moment the correct diameter of the springs is 15 mm - this is the part number 04238300. Can you confirm this?

And propably as i Was informed by our colegs in US, i must also replace „Ratchet" part number in catalogue is: 01235130 - but i find my diameter is right now 15 mm. But the springs in my MG deeler all of them in the box are 16-17mm. They are form year 2007. Is this posible? Can you tell me what i should do? beacuse if i order new spring it might bee the same as i have now - 16-17 mm?

And propably as i Was informed by our colegs in US, i must also replace „Ratchet" part number in catalogue is: 01235130 - but i find my diameter is right now 15 mm. But the springs in my MG deeler all of them in the box are 16-17mm. They are form year 2007. Is this posible? Can you tell me what i should do? beacuse if i order new spring it might bee the same as i have now - 16-17 mm?

15 mm for the ratchet and 16/17 mm for the spring is ok.

Most broken springs were found in KS-Series ex works because there was a bad series of ratchets with a diam. of 16 mm. Maybe some of the these ratches were sold as spares and can now also be found in KR and KT series.

You can find a nice illustrated tutorial to change the spring  on www.v11sport.de  (even on the road and without draining oil )

Warning: Don't drive without a spring, a SPDT-Relay and pliers for circlips onboard.   :grin:

Gunther