Starting Procedure

orangeokie

For some reason, I am unable to start my Rosso Corsa. Is there a secret decoder ring or something? Bike is in neutral, kill switch off, ingniton on, can hear fuel pump whining, push starter button, nothing. Pull clutch in and try . . . nothing. Lift kick stand and try . . . nothing. Any suggestions?

• Replies 45
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Guest ratchethack

There's a notorious pair of bullet connectors under the tank at the front left-hand side of the frame that go to the clutch switch. Myself, my Pal Dan ('04 LeMans) and many others on this forum have found that:

1. If you cycle the handlebars stop-to-stop, this will often jostle 'em just enough to get enough current thru 'em so you can start.

2. If the above enables you to start, you can disconnect these connectors and cycle them a few times, fill with dielectric grease and lightly crimp 'em, and the problem won't be back.

:luigi:

There's a notorious pair of bullet connectors under the tank at the front left-hand side of the frame that go to the clutch switch.  Myself, my Pal Dan ('04 LeMans) and many others on this forum have found that:

1.  If you cycle the handlebars stop-to-stop, this will often jostle 'em just enough to get enough current thru 'em so you can start. 

2.  If the above enables you to start, you can disconnect these connectors and cycle them a few times, fill with dielectric grease and lightly crimp 'em, and the problem won't be back. 

:luigi:

67320[/snapback]

I'll give it a try, thanks.

For some reason, I am unable to start my Rosso Corsa.  Is there a secret decoder ring or something?  Bike is in neutral, kill switch off, ingniton on, can hear fuel pump whining, push starter button, nothing.  Pull clutch in and try . . . nothing.  Lift kick stand and try . . . nothing.  Any suggestions?

67316[/snapback]

Also, make sure that you are actually in neutral and not in between gears.

Guest motomaniac

I've used a paper clip before between the connectors to the clutch that are located just at the point that they go under the front of the tank. Held it in place just long enough to turn the key on. It worked, now I keep a paper clip with me.

Dielectric grease may also be called 'silicone dielectric grease' or 'electrical insulating compound'. The stuff I have right now, [and it will last me for years] is the 150gram [5.3 oz' squeeze tube of Dow Corning Compound #4 "Electrical Insulating Compound".

You will most surely find this stuff at your local auto parts supply place.

Ciao, Steve G.

also make sure the switch on the kick stand is moving in and out.  apply some WD40.

67986[/snapback]

The side stand switch will keep the bike from running in gear but not lock out the starter. No starter means #1) clutch switch or,#2) starter relay.

make sure the bike is not in between gears and is truly in nuetral

I once thought my nuetral light was intermittent and could not get my bike started - turns out it was the above problem - rather embarrassing way to spend 5 minutes

Grossohc

have look at rs components if you have one near by

rs components

RS Stock no: 448-0309

Part No.: 740010430

In Stock

£2.35 £2.23 £2.16 £2.09 £2.02

October 2005 catalogue book 3 - 1201

Water-repellent, work stable, non-melting silicone grease which possesses excellent dielectric properties. It is odourless and exhibits low toxicity. Suitable for use in sealing electrical systems, protecting against corona discharge and as a cable lubricant.

Key Features:

Low bleed at elevated temperatures

Good low load lubrication

Good water repellence

Approved for use with potable water

MOD approved

make sure the bike is not in between gears and is truly in nuetral

I once thought my nuetral light was intermittent and could not get my bike started - turns out it was the above problem - rather embarrassing way to spend 5 minutes

68019[/snapback]

I've done this also. :blush:

But , wouldn't the starter turn over yet the motor not run ? Even when the neutral switch is not engaged the starter should turn , and should run with the sidestand down.