Oil leak

richard100t

Looks like you have a really "stock" LeMans (intake snorkels, carbon canisters).

While you are at this stage, have a look at the Tank Off Maintenance Checklist.

It is a compendium of links to "discoveries" that could save you a discomfort or two. B)

EDIT: With all of the ongoing input, that FAQ thread is constantly updated. It just keeps getting better, but don't let the content overwhelm. It doesn't all have to be done at once!

Thanks Docc, I'll ck that FAQ out. I was wondering if the air box needed some tender care. you know its got Mistrals, Stucchi cross over, PC3, seems like more air would be a given.   Dave

I just always thought the funky rubber turn-down snorkels were just a clever solution for drive-by dB testing. I couldn't see how they were our friends otherwise.

• 5 months later...

Re the sen-813 SENSOR I had this leak, new O ring it IS a specific size and cheap enough from Guzzi Dealer BUT the sensor IS very expensive from Guzzi I found a car parts dealer with the replacement part for £25.95 as opposed to the £130+ Guzzi wanted the same part fits a whole load of Guzzis as well as MV Brutale and some Ducati bikes I have posted all the details on the site www.guzziriders.org hope this helps

Call Joe Eish @ Eish  Motorcycles. 330-738-3944 . See if he has the crank sensor . If you are a MGNOC member you will get a discount.

If it IS leaking ( make very sure ) from the plastic cover you can't do much for it.

• 2 years later...

So, I freshened the O-ring with a #112 from the kit at the auto parts store labeled "oil seals." The fit looks excellent (better than my last attempt).

Looking forward to some miles. So much more now that spring begins next week!

so docc, after reading much on the subject, I can't say with confidence that I know what to do. Left with a couple of questions. My timing sensor IS (tho not sure where) leaking and taking it loose, it does not want to pull out easily, as in, something is catching/dragging. It seems like I can if I pry or pull harder, I just don't know what to expect. Is anything going to fly across the room or am I disturbing timing when I do?

Q2. what is the final story on the fix? #112 oil O ring still?

While I have you... does the oil pressure switch tend to leak as well?

The sensor has swollen and will be difficult to remove , order a new one and make sure you get a new seal too . The oil pressure can leak......if you are afraid of it , order a new one too.

Yeah, as gstallons said, the seal has likely swollen or as Scud is about to say, someone smeared some adhesive/ gasket sealer on it. once the fasteners are out, you can try carefully turning the sensor while continuing to lift it out a little at a time. Mine was also leaking through the wire lead, which I ended up using JBWeld to seal up. It's continued to work for a long time now. My oil sender has never leaked, but don't let it hear me say that . . .

Try twisting the sensor to free it up. There could be a little adhesive in there, making it difficult to remove. You will not disturb the timing and nothing will fly across the room. Once you get it out, clean the passage, and try putting it back in again, lubed with a little engine oil. If it goes back in easily, it's not swollen - and if that's the case, just replace the O-ring.

Try twisting the sensor to free it up. There could be a little adhesive in there, making it difficult to remove. You will not disturb the timing and nothing will fly across the room. Once you get it out, clean the passage, and try putting it back in again, lubed with a little engine oil. If it goes back in easily, it's not swollen - and if that's the case, just replace the O-ring.

Done as advised. There was some kind of adhesive in there. It had hardened but removed with acetone/rag/scrub. Only a slight hang up going back in but still easy. 3 shims, no sealant, so the o ring must be the only "seal". Looks like a square o ring?

Yeah, as gstallons said, the seal has likely swollen or as Scud is about to say, someone smeared some adhesive/ gasket sealer on it. once the fasteners are out, you can try carefully turning the sensor while continuing to lift it out a little at a time. Mine was also leaking through the wire lead, which I ended up using JBWeld to seal up. It's continued to work for a long time now. My oil sender has never leaked, but let it hear me say that . . .

so is the sealant in there factory, and/or is it a good idea to use some on reassembly?

No sealant from the factory (O-ring only, and as czaaky suggested: O-rings leak when they get square!)), but there are those who have added a smear trying to get the leak under control.

Too much sealant or poor seating of the sensor and the cam signal changes the ignition timing (ungood).

I've removed a few recently and they all had some hardened brown crap on them. I reassembled only with the (new and round) O-ring, no sealant.