Moto Guzzi "Adventure Tourer"

joe camarda

• Replies 48
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I'm kinda intrested in it I'll need a test ride first but an capable alrounder with long travel suspension in the sprit of the mutistrada for average roads and a big fuel tank will help augment the rather narrow focused of my current bikes. I don't look at these a serious off roaders but tourers without the penalty of serious bulk and compromised ground clearance :2c: .

Guest Mattress

Anyone remember a weird 70's car called a Matra Rancho?

No but I remember the beautiful Matra 670 that won several Le Mans races. That was a sexy race car.

Anyone remember a weird 70's car called a Matra Rancho?

A friend of mine owned one for a year or so. It could take six people. If I remember right :oldgit: the 5th and 6th seat were reversed. But you are right; it was one crappy car! It broke down on him about every two weeks...

After some googling:

4.jpg

5.jpg

that matra was an early mpv. But they were build so bad, and rust so fast. The matra factory doesn't exist anymore, their last project were the renault avantime, a very nice looking car, but also not without ( electrical) problems. Only 10.000 were made.

Guest Nogbad

I used this as an example because it was touted as some form of off roader when in reality it was a poor front drive chassis from one of the worst cars of the decade. A pretend off roader just like the Stelvio.

I don't think the Stelvio build quality and susceptibility to rust could be as bad as a Rancho, but then, these are issues pertinent to Guzzi history after all.

I stand four square behind the comparison!

Mirrors would look sweet on V11 :wub: ,hopefully you could tell a Corolla from a cop in them,unlike the V11's! :rasta:

• 1 month later...

Mirrors would look sweet on V11 :wub: ,hopefully you could tell a Corolla from a cop in them,unlike the V11's! :rasta:

Any word yet on if this model is coming to North America? I'd be inclined to go with the 800cc model if there is a big weight difference.

As for off roading, this bike would be confined to wide logging roads for me and just use pavement to join the logging roads together.

As for the comment on buying a KTM, I own a 950 and have never owned a used or new bike that has had so many problems. 2 days ago it left me stranded in the USA, 90 minutes from home. After my wife picked me up with the trailer in tow, we didn't get home until 1 am.

For more serious dirt work, I use my 610 Husky which is bullet proof. I will never buy a KTM again.

I chatted to my local dealer a couple of months ago who was present when this prototype was unvieled.

He said the bike was real, and was being tested with the 4 valve lump (which apparently really exists and runs) but it was a long way from actually being available in a showroom.

Also said the 4V Griso is a long way off.

Guy :helmet:

Any word yet on if this model is coming to North America? I'd be inclined to go with the 800cc model if there is a big weight difference.

As for off roading, this bike would be confined to wide logging roads for me and just use pavement to join the logging roads together.

As for the comment on buying a KTM, I own a 950 and have never owned a used or new bike that has had so many problems. 2 days ago it left me stranded in the USA, 90 minutes from home. After my wife picked me up with the trailer in tow, we didn't get home until 1 am.

For more serious dirt work, I use my 610 Husky which is bullet proof. I will never buy a KTM again.

I'm surprised to hear of a problem KTM, I always thought they were very reliable and rugged. An 800cc Stelvio would interest me as well, dual sport riding here is big with some dealers putting on organized adventure rides. For the serious dual sport rider the BMW hp2 is a real weapon.

These bikes are really not about off-road. True, the Husky or something like Honda's XR650 is the ticket there.

No, this is more about an all-road bike. Fast freeway, twisty bits, bad pavement, no pavement, creek crossing all the while with an open, comfortable riding position, more suspension travel than a sportbike, good lights,mirros and luggage. Did I mention it can't be too tall, too heavy or have a big slow-turn radius?

Plus, it needs to look rugged and in fact have tip-over protection. And a torquey understressed twin would be good. Big gas tank with 200 mile range and alternator to spare.

That's a lot to package into one bike.

The new meld of the duel-sport ( too off-road), adventure tourer ( too tall and heavy) and the supermotard ( too stripped down) may be bringing us the perfect tool.

Then again, you may still need five different bikes and a trailer . . .

If I wanted to off road I would buy a cheap 125 two stroke, or maybe an XT600 if I needed to ride around the world.

T

Yup! Just watch "The Long Way Round" - when Charlie and Ewan are wrestling and dropping their mammoth BMW's through Russia, their cameraman is happily booting it along effortlessly on his little Russian thing. Until it blew up... :P

Rj

Yup! Just watch "The Long Way Round" - when Charlie and Ewan are wrestling and dropping their mammoth BMW's through Russia, their cameraman is happily booting it along effortlessly on his little Russian thing. Until it blew up... :P

Rj

You can allways pick the type of "off road" you want to do. The more serious, the lighter the bike. We're lucky in BC as there's all kinds of mild dirt roads, which I have taken my Quota on with no problem to Trials riding. You just get out a map, try it and if it gets to gnarly, ya turn around and head for pavement. Best thing about my KTM is I trimmed the stock, scratched wind screen on it and it now resides on my Husky. :bike:

The other point is that I had a chance to ride with a guy who entered the Dakar and finished as a privateer. You wouldn't believe what this guy could do on a 950 and 640, so when all is said and done, it's the rider more than the bike.

Guest ratchethack

If I wanted to off road I would buy a cheap 125 two stroke, or maybe an XT600 if I needed to ride around the world. . .

Interesting choice for 'round the world, Guzzirider. I'd consider it for this sort of task myself. Not that many here in the US have any idea wot an XT600 is, though I understand that they were big all across Europe and many other parts of the planet in their day. From what I understand, they were priced out of the US market by Honda and Suzuki and not continued here after the early models, which were improved upon over the years.

Other than mine, I've never seen another one here in the US, though I know the early ones pop up here and there. I found it for sale in sad shape and did an "intervention" on it, brought it back from semi-ruin to "better than new" state of tune and operation, cosmetics still giving away lots of hints of many many miles of bad road. . .

Jetting for an opened-up air box and new pipe was a bit of a challenge with both pilot and main carbs, this being my first experience with a 2-carb single, but once dialed-in, she mixes clean and pulls hard without any flat-spots bottom to top. ^_^

IMHO it's long-developed, bullet-proof motor (mine's the latest-model "E" version) and fairly light, true "offroad derived" chassis make it a great all-rounder wherever the roads get bad enough that the Guzzi fears to tread. B)