It was 40 years ago today

:bier:

lauded as the greatest rock album of all time, Sgt Pepper was released 40 years ago today.

So- to celebrate, I broke out the vinyl and played the way it should on it on my all tube-based system.

Nice.

but abbey road is still better :D

• Replies 83
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Guest ratchethack

lauded as the greatest rock album of all time, Sgt Pepper was released 40 years ago today.

So- to celebrate, I broke out the vinyl and played the way it should on it on my all tube-based system.

Nice.

Outstanding, JRT. I've read a few articles on the 40-yr. anniversary. Still have my original copy bought the month released.

I agree with you on Abbey Road. Still have that one too -- bought the Fall season it was released (was that '69?). ;)

EDIT: I checked. Yes, it WAS '69 -- and wot a year THAT ONE was. . . :sun:

Nice.

i actually think Sgt Pepper was overproduced, but yeah, brilliant songs and lots of cool ideas for sure.

Isn't funny every generation picks up his Greatest Rock Album Of All Time ? I actually would take The Clash's London Calling and wonder if Sandinista wasn't marginally better :)

i actually think Sgt Pepper was overproduced, but yeah, brilliant songs and lots of cool ideas for sure.

Isn't funny every generation picks up his Greatest Rock Album Of All Time ? I actually would take The Clash's London Calling and wonder if Sandinista wasn't marginally better :)

I met George Martin some years ago and had the joy of a good ol' chin wag with him...one of the nicest people you can meet, amazingly knowlegeable, and if you saw the recording equipment they were using at the time for that album you'd forgive the overproduction. Just to able to piece it all together with what amounted to a clunky tape recorder and something akin to a cross between a toaster and a Brevill sandwich maker...genius!

I agree about Sandinista though...and here's another from roughly the same time...Abraxas by Santana...magic!

I met George Martin some years ago and had the joy of a good ol' chin wag with him...one of the nicest people you can meet, amazingly knowlegeable, and if you saw the recording equipment they were using at the time for that album you'd forgive the overproduction.

lol. What are the odds that two guzzi riders meet Sir Georges Martin ? That's amazing ! I met him too. I actually did an interview of him for japanese TV. Don't ask me why...

yes, the equipment was scarce and congrats and all...Still, they were chasing behind 'Pet Sounds' and a few other amazing people were experimenting a lot with audio at the times. That doesn't diminish their creativity or the immense gift they did to music, but i think they just weren't alone doing exciting stuff.

I liked it...I don't know about all that production stuff. :huh2::D k

I rode in a mini Cooper once. Does that count for anything?

I didn't start the post to imply that the Rutles, eh, Beatles were the only ones doing anything creative. I'm sure no-one took it that way. But I can state the obvious and say there's a ton of musicians who where cutting edge at the time.

One thing I find interesting about the whole 'best album ever' idea is timing. We are such products of our times- even measured in months. Pet Sounds never did much for me. Atom Heart Mother doesn't do much either, but it is arguably the first rock 'theme' album. I understand their importance, but they doesn't personally appeal to me all that much. A couple years later PF comes out with Dark Side of the Moon and absolutely blew me away.

And of course, I have to give props to the good gentleman from Texas, Augie Meyers, who was the main man for the Sir Douglas Quintet. Riding the wave of the British invasion to fame, he played awesome 'conjunto rock'.

jihem said

yes, the equipment was scarce and congrats and all...Still, they were chasing behind 'Pet Sounds' and a few other amazing people were experimenting a lot with audio at the times. That doesn't diminish their creativity or the immense gift they did to music, but i think they just weren't alone doing exciting stuff.

At the same time,in the next door studios @ EMI,Syd Barrett and Pink Floyd were recording Pipers at the Gates of Dawn. Sgt. Peppers pales in comparison IMHO :rasta:

Hats off to 1967....Summer of Love

you ppl are so old

Yes, we're old, Ben. In fact, you may be the only young person on here! We ride old, slow Guzzis because we're old.................and your excuse would be? :P

I checked......my Sgt Pepper album is still with me, although I can't play vinyl because my turntable is still in the box I put it in, under all the other boxes I brought when I last moved house and haven't opened. I have it on disc, though. I wonder what's in the rest of those boxes..................

you ppl are so old, best album ever is "Nevermind" by Nirvana, I actually like "Unplugged, live in New York" a little better but what can I say. B)

:)

it's not a question of being old, i guess everyone picks what's been emotionnal to him, in his teenagers days or not. but if we look from a distance the albums that really changed the way ppl thought about rock music, they are several that comes to (my) mind that REALLY changed music as it was heard, played or felt (by me).

60's: Mothers Of Invention with "Absolutely Free", Pink Floyd in its Syd Barret days, Beatles with "SPLHCB", Brian Wilson and "Pet Sounds", Jimmy Hendrix "Are You Experienced" . Yes, 1967 seems to have been a great year :)

70's: , Marvin Gaye's "What's Going On", Todd Rundgren "Todd", Sex Pistols ,"Never Mind The Bollocks", "Unknown Pleasures" by Joy Division, The Model by Kraftwerk, reggae in general

80's: anything by Prince, "The River" by Bruce Springsteen, "Sandinista" by The Clash, Michael Jackson

90's: Nirvana, NIN "Downward Spiral", Depeche Mode "Violator"

2000's: Radiohead "Kid A", Sigur Ros's post rock...

DeBenguzzi spake-

you ppl are so old, best album ever is "Nevermind" by Nirvana, I actually like "Unplugged, live in New York" a little better but what can I say.

Nirvana kicked ass,yes they did, but the best part of "Unplugged" was Kurt & Chris' of the Meat Puppets backing up Kurt Cobain,a la "Sea of Fire".

Getting/being old is a bitch but you can get a better perspective on most things,such as music with more appreciation for the truly innovative when you've got a larger framework to deal with. I'm on the same page with Jihem, now this cat really knows his music :rasta: . And yes,Jihem,i'm in total agreement with you on Todd Rundgren,he is/was a "wizard,a true star". Caught him a few times in the 70's during the "Utopia" era.

His drummer,Hunt Sales,was a neighbor of mine until he recently moved to Nashville :huh2:

I dunno I'm not "experienced" but then I'm also no slouch Jimmi hendrix, led zepplin, rolling stones, and yes the beatles are all in my playlist. I actually like splhcb and remember when I heard yellow submarine for the first time, I'm like is this a joke or what? :lol: still a good song. I wanna helmet that hooks to an ipod or something.

Last night there was tv programme showing current 'acts' (Kaiser Chiefs, Razorlight, Stereophonics, a wrinkly Bryan Adams...) recording a new Sgt Peppers in the original studio with the same equipment as used by the fab ones and the same engineer. Some nice clunking and whirring of recording/reproduction machinery.

Now, tonight, there was the story of The Monkees. Ah, 1967, indeed. Joy. Seems like yesterday.

(And followed by Brian Sewell's private view of Salvador Dali, from the summers that he spent with Dali from 1968 onwards.)

Followed on other channel by Bob Marley and the story of Exodus (1977). THAT was voted by Time as the album of the century.

That's followed by Jimmy Cliff in The Harder They Come.

On the other side, The Seven Ages of Rock is on The Blank Generation: Punk Rock.

I'm watching Jimmy Cliff.

Excellent

I dunno I'm not "experienced" ..... I wanna helmet that hooks to an ipod or something.

With a bit more experience, you'll find that an iPod 'hooks' to yer ears, via earphones.

Then you put helmet on head, hopefully tucking ears inside helmet.

Put iPod inside jacket or shirt pocket. Press play. Rock and Roll.

You can even follow above procedure when riding yer moto cycle.

I use an iPod Shuffle these days for said purpose, as they're the size of nothing at all. Only problem has been that unlike bigger brothers, they don't have a 'hold' switch and because the control buttons are raised, they can get accidently pressed when leaning forwards on bike. Solved by keeping it in side pocket rather than tucked inside front.