It was 40 years ago today

Yay,DON VAN VLIET!!!!! Pick any album,but my favourites are Clear Spot ,Spotlight Kid, oh hell all of em... :grin::grin: And what about Frank Zappa? Pick any album from over sixty.......If there was only one good track on each one thats a hellova lot of good stuff. :D

I'm afraid I go with the Weird Al parody when it comes to Zappa:

http://www.com-www.com/weirdal/geniusinfrance.html

• Replies 83
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Guest Rumbled
:drink: It was probably about thirty years ago today when John Ottway and Wild Willy Barrett released their first album (unless it escaped). Now that's a cause for celebration :blush:
Guest NotRight

DeBenguzzi spake-

Nirvana kicked ass,yes they did, but the best part of "Unplugged" was Kurt & Chris' of the Meat Puppets backing up Kurt Cobain,a la "Sea of Fire".

Getting/being old is a bitch but you can get a better perspective on most things,such as music with more appreciation for the truly innovative when you've got a larger framework to deal with. I'm on the same page with Jihem, now this cat really knows his music :rasta: . And yes,Jihem,i'm in total agreement with you on Todd Rundgren,he is/was a "wizard,a true star". Caught him a few times in the 70's during the "Utopia" era.

His drummer,Hunt Sales,was a neighbor of mine until he recently moved to Nashville :huh2:

The only problem I have getting older in my mid-30s is now I'm subjected to the same "age-ism" I probably tossed on older folks when I was 21. Mentally I'm really about as mature as mid 20s. I prefer a youthful mind.

Does anyone else remember when they first realized that, they don't even appear on that attractive lass's radar screen? That kind of hurt more than being called sir at Burger King. People worthy of the title Sir, don't eat fast food. Anyhow, she wasn't THAT young. Mid 20's. Me early 30's. I didn't even register on her hormone meter. NOthing, Nada.

There are a lot of good looking mid 30s to 40s women. Some finally mellow enough to be friends with if not more than that. Maybe I should check that out.

That said I was spurned today on Craig's List by a women seeking NSA activities. Whats a size 12? Is that big or small?

Its o.k. I'm trying to build immunity to rejection. Its all a mind game. the more I experience it the less big deal it will be.

Go ahead....Reject me! :grin::grin::grin:

Since the topic is music. If you are interested please check out my new favorite band 400 Blows. On myspace or their website. (YOu'll get a lot of hits regarding the movie if you google) I'd like to know what others think. Especially you English, Scottish, Welsh or Irish people. I love it!

Wicked drummer, guitar, singer. Nothing more complex. Try a listen to Eternal Darkness on their Myspace site. http://www.myspace.com/400blows

• 1 month later...

Focus. Now you're talking. Great Dutch band, but what a shame that Thijs van Leer (flutist) TRIED to sing in a lot of their songs. Two other hit songs: Sylvia and House of the kings

Yep and a great album too! Werent they the pit band for the Dutch production of Hair or some such thing? Damned hippies.... :rasta:

Focus. Now you're talking. Great Dutch band

Speaking of Great Dutch Bands, how about Golden Earring, in their 5th decade and still touring with the same line-up. I have my original vinyl copy of "Moontan" and it's a fixture in many record collections.

Ken

you ppl are so old, best album ever is "Nevermind" by Nirvana, I actually like "Unplugged, live in New York" a little better but what can I say. B)

At the risk of sounding like an indie rock wanker: "Bleach" is the best thing Nirvana ever released.

A good friend from Jersey once told me:

"Rock bands can be broken down into two groups - those who have heard the Velvet Underground and those who haven't - guess which group is better?"

"Rock bands can be broken down into two groups - those who have heard the Velvet Underground and those who haven't - guess which group is better?"

:D very true (for rock bands).

• 2 weeks later...

Nick Cave is great. His older stuff (pre-murder ballads & let love in) I find inconsistent - some sublime, some merely irritating.

Ever notice that his "Red Right Hand" is a blatant rip off of a Tom Waits tune - I think from Frank's Wild Years? The title of the Tom Waits song escapes me and my CDs are all in storage...