Tranny Lock

Daniel Cooper

So Thursday I rode up to Arcata from San Francisco via PCH on the Rosso Corso--8.5 hours of great riding. Friday I zapped up to Somes Bar on the Klamath. This morning I started the trip back, and right after I dropped out of the mountains, the tranny stuck in 5th. Linkage is still on, return spring centers the lever, but nothing happens when a push the lever up or down, clutch in or out. Luckily the thing can grunt out of anything, even 5th gear from a dead stop.

Anybody else had this happen ? Bent shift fork ? Any other theories ? The bike is only at 8600 after this ride.

Daniel

This has all the ring of the dreaded '02/early'03 broken pawl spring. Good news is : it's actually pretty easy to fix.

This has all the ring of the dreaded '02/early'03 broken pawl spring. Good news is : it's actually pretty easy to fix.

I did not adjust anything before or during the ride, and it worked fine up to the moment it did not--no gradual process. The lever is still in the middle of its throw, and all the linkage seems to be in fine shape. It looks to me like its internal.

On the pawl spring, I thought I was off the hook with the 03 model year, but a guess not...

Is there a thread on the repair process ? Will it be obvious when I take the back off the thing ? I've worked on the tranny on my Monza, and I suppose the layout is pretty much the same on the 6 speed on the V-11. Is that largely true ?

Any help from those that have been through it greatly appreciated.

Daniel

I did not adjust anything before or during the ride, and it worked fine up to the moment it did not--no gradual process. The lever is still in the middle of its throw, and all the linkage seems to be in fine shape. It looks to me like its internal.

On the pawl spring, I thought I was off the hook with the 03 model year, but a guess not...

Is there a thread on the repair process ? Will it be obvious when I take the back off the thing ? I've worked on the tranny on my Monza, and I suppose the layout is pretty much the same on the 6 speed on the V-11. Is that largely true ?

Any help from those that have been through it greatly appreciated.

Daniel

There are several good threads on this subject. Definately there have been a few '03 bikes with this trouble.

Read up on the repair:Spring Reprise

Also some good photos and discussion:Gearbox Advice

Finally, for more info:Shift Return Spring Poll

Thanks so much. I stayed up late last night and found some of the threads. I ordered two springs from Cannon today, and will use the photos in the threads to guide the repair. I'll report on the boss size once I get the thing open.

• 3 weeks later...

Thanks so much. I stayed up late last night and found some of the threads. I ordered two springs from Cannon today, and will use the photos in the threads to guide the repair. I'll report on the boss size once I get the thing open.

I don" t know if it will help you, but the same happened to me with my Mille GT. After a small accident

(left side )with 30km, the bike was looking ok ,me also , so I felt lucky.

Two days later I missed a gear change, thougt it was my fault, and so on..... and I ended up with the gearbox stuck in fourth gear.Everything looked ok, Lever -linkage -return action of the lever etc. but :(

Took the transmission out, and no visible damage was evident.(preselector normal wear/spring ok/ ....)Put it together on the bench, and ..... :D started working.

My bike has 60000 km so I payed for a new preselector +spring, and changed the ball bearings both sides ( to be on the safe side....), and now everything is ok.

Now, an amateur guess is that with the fall preselector and spring changed position, from the one that the screw at the back of transmisssion adjusts, so it explains why I couldn"t do something externally by turning the screw.It was out of range....If anyone has other opinion ....glad to hear.

Generally , when a gear stuck in transmission

1/check that gear lever + joint has adequate place to move up/down (from frame /transmission case etc)

2/Move the wheel back and forth with one hand and try to change a gear with your other hand( if you have a center stand)If not, push the bike and try with your foot to operate the gear lever

3/last you can try the screw at the back of transmission, maybe with a small turn one way or the other the preselector+spring will come in the right position.Warning not much space/the bike can be HOT/>>>

Luigi found an old spring in the corner of his seat and tossed into your trans. "Why waste a good spring." he thought. "So that is what has been poking me for 8 months...mmm... time for some grappa me thinks..."

This thing is not a spring it's fence wire, mine broke yesterday(2nd time) repaired today funny that the local dealer had 14 in stock, when did you ever here of a guzzi agent having anything in stock! Boing nite said zebidee

This thing is not a spring it's fence wire, mine broke yesterday(2nd time) repaired today funny that the local dealer had 14 in stock, when did you ever here of a guzzi agent having anything in stock! Boing nite said zebidee

Euan

you've probably given the answer to this before, but

did you originally do some sort of fix to get the right boss / spring coil clearance, or just put a new spring in at the earlier repair?

(Did you have a good festival?)