Essential mods (my opinion)

kevdog3019

Just wanted to share my thoughts about some mods I feel are essential for comfort on the Lemans:

1. Heavy bar ends (approx. $55)

2. bar risers (2" preferably) ($?)

3. MRA windscreen ($99)

4. Matra footpeg mod. (Appox. $425)

I can't believe how this bike has changed in the past year as far as comfort. I was lucky enough to purchase my Lemans with an MRA windscreen and risers already installed, but with the addition of the Matra footpegs and MI bar ends recently, this bike is a dream machine that's as smooth as silk. I helped a friend into a Lemans recently that has no updated windscreen, no risers, and MI footpeg mod.. He does have the MI bar ends. He is ordering the MRA windscreen and trying to find a capable bar riser. He is also thinking about gaining a couple more inches of forwardness through the purchase of Matra peg mod. This peg mod is incredible I'll tell you. If anyone is looking for pure comfort and smoothness, these mods together will transform your Lemans into one incredible comfort machine.

I drove the Norge recently, and wouldn't think of trading my Lemans for it straight up now that it's been sorted. I consider my Lemans a sport-touring bike now since I'm much more upright and have no pressure on my palms. It also has a great fairing and windscreen that deflects most turbulance, both allowing for long days of eating miles. It still has all the sport it ever did...although it actually handles better to have weight more centered or actually forward than stock with the footpeg mod. I can throw it around pretty easily now compared to stock. Just wanted to let folks know what I have found since ownership and now that I can directly compare it to another Lemans. These are relatively cheap mods for what you get in return!

I agree...

I used a few different brand names to the same end. Not all of us are race types. A few like to build miles on the odometer with out feeling physically beat up.

These bikes are a blast!

:mg:

ncmsg01.jpg.JPG I bought mine sight unseen, after NEVER having even sitting on a Lemans. I fretted the clip-ons, the footposition, and the "Saddam Like tortourous seat". With 2000 miles, and a 350 mile day, I can say I am conforming to the seating position quite well. I see 5-600 miles being alot of fun, when I find the time. The bikes "purpose" becomes clearer as I ride more, and now we are past the 5000 mile run in, and I discovered a new world, the one that TURNS ON over 5800 rpm. MAN, I love my unmodified seating position, along with the generous motor mods!!!!! :mg::wub: Ride your own ride! Later, S.H.

Guest ratchethack

. . .With 2000 miles, and a 350 mile day, I can say I am conforming to the seating position quite well. I see 5-600 miles being alot of fun, when I find the time. The bikes "purpose" becomes clearer as I ride more, and now we are past the 5000 mile run in, and I discovered a new world, the one that TURNS ON over 5800 rpm. MAN, I love my unmodified seating position, along with the generous motor mods!!!!! :mg::wub: Ride your own ride! Later, S.H.

Congrat's, S.H.! :bier:

I think you've tapped into something extraordinary here, my friend.

WARNING: YES! -- EVEN MORE OPINION TO FOLLOW --

I'm with you -- But it seems we're a small group hereabouts. :whistle: Though many riders swear by mods that give the V11 "cruiser-like" ergo's, I've seen many many V11 riders do the: Raise Bars (now butt hurts), Custom Seat (now knees hurt), Lower & Move Pegs Forward (now A$$ hurts again, but now there's poor gound clearance as well), Sell Bike at Horrendous Loss on Lost Cost of all Custom Ergo's (don't ride it anymore) routine . . . <_<

I've ridden stock ergo V11 LM's that have nearly identical ergo's to my stock ergo Sport. Speaking only for myself now, I've found that if you condition yourself to these bikes over time and actually make the effort to set up the chassis *properly*, the reward is the ability to enjoy day-long rides in full comfort, with the ability to exploit the stock peg, seat, and bar position fully in challenging terrain, and take advantage of the stock ergo balance (if not chassis balance) that Guzzi evidently understood so well in the first place, which -- while admittedly not up to "modern" sport/touring comfort standards -- ain't half bad!!! ;)

You said it: "Conforming" is the key word. Seems most aren't willing, even though I'll bet many are actually quite able -- or they would be if they had the patience . . .

Just as it is with all the very finest -- You ride her the way SHE wants to be ridden, and she rewards you back! :mg:

The stock ergo's were a primary reason for me buying the bike -- Seems many buy the bike for looks alone without the first consideration of ergo's! :doh: IMHO when they went to raised bars on the later Sports, Guzzi was attempting to appease those with low tolerance for mostly minor forms o' short-term discomfort. IMHO this throws off the ergo equilibrium and wrecks the chassis balance. About the same time, they also appeased the "fashion conscious" with a ridiculous 5.5" rear wheel and 180 tires, which destroys the handling.

But waddyagonna do, my friend? :huh2:

HOW MANY of those who've spent thou$and$ hackin' 'em up never gave their Guzzi time to grow on 'em? How many will ever believe they were perhaps too hasty (or shall we more correctly say, admit it?! ). . . [sigh]

Have I been clear enough in mentioning that the above is just my opinion, to each his own, and YMMV?? ;)

hmmm. dunno. My first serious ride was 900 miles from bristol to freiburg in germany, and couldn't get over how comfortable it was. 900 miles 18 hours. stock. 2 up is a different story. Mind you ,I was 33 at the time.

I had the bike a year before any of the latest mods and put on a good bit of miles through more twisties than some do in a lifetime. My knees ached and my right hand always got the tinglies so bad it went numb after 20 minutes. I had Mistral cans that just didn't sound right to me and made things more vibrant than I liked as well. I considered selling it early this year because I drove my little Breva way more unless I just wanted more power for that brief jaunt into the rural roadways. I put the stock cans back on, put the footpegs to save my knees and pelvis (crotch), and put on a set of hefty bar ends, and it's a whole different bike. Smooth and comfortable. I do prefer things stock as far as how it's mechanically engineered, but I personally needed help with the ergos. Actually...... now I won't sell it for anything, as opposed to those who do. Just wanting to help those out who might not know better and are new to the frey.

The Matra footpegs can be found under Technical Topics I believe, or do a search on Footpeg mods.

I think this boils down to just the fact that everyone is built different. What works for me doesn't work for Ratchet or Dave or Kev or Kitty or anyone else.

Enjoy the uni-Q-ness.

Guest drknow

I think this boils down to just the fact that everyone is built different. What works for me doesn't work for Ratchet or Dave or Kev or Kitty or anyone else.

Enjoy the uni-Q-ness.

My must have mods are:

Correct spring rates

revalve of shock and forks

power commander

proper set up and all the little tips and tweaks

slip-ons

pod filters or free flowing air filter

Moto-bits rear sets (I like the stock bar position and height)

Mine's configured like the Doc's, except I stuck with a paper filter in a heavily modified airbox (because I ride dirt roads and do not trust gauze filters to strain out much more than butterflies and June bugs). And mine's Ballabio, so it doesn't need any risers. :P

MPH Cycles (Site Sponsor) has the bar risers. I've got them on my Nero and Cafe Sport. I also did the MRA windscreen on the Nero. Both parts are of real quality.

Wick

Best $10 you can spend on your V11: GEI relays

Best $100: fork springs

Best $250: fuel,oil and miles

Best $500: exhaust cannisters

Best $1000: rear shock

No matter what machine you have: bike, car, camera, there is no substitute for the constant fettling and grooming that imparts your animism to the machine. Even then they sometimes fret like a pretty Italian lady just to get your attention. :whistle: