Hollow front axle?

Guest Jaap

So, here's a brief update...

I still haven't taken the time to setup the forks with appropriate sag, and rebound/compression damping(I know, I need to get the GF out in the garage to help me measure :P ). But dang, still.... what a difference :thumbsup:

But even with the forks "stock" and "untuned"... I can tell a world of difference.

A good test was my ride back from the Guzzi Dinner Monday night, down Hwy 280. That hwy has a section where the expansion joints have all "heaved" in a rythmic pattern over the years such that on a bike(and I guess a car to some degree) going 60-80mph, it feels like the vehicle is jumping like a pogo... bang, bang, bang.... for miles.

With the old Marz forks, this was like riding something that was a combination between a rocking horse and jack-hammer.

Although with the new Ohlins, that "rocking" action was still there(I don't think anything short of a hovercraft would ever *eliminate* it), it was much less pronounced, and the jackhammer effect was gone.

And although my pace up and down the mountain was snail paced due to the weather(near freezing and wet) and it being dark(...watch out for DEER).... the front end felt much more "relaxed" and under control that with the previous forks.

I can't wait to see how it feels once I have the suspension setup properly :D

I know that many have said that changing out to the new forks just highlighted how bad the rear shock was, but man.... this is so much better, I guess I haven't noticed so much :P I still plan to get the rear shock though, especially if it does for the rear what these forks have done for the front.

Big difference, and although certainly expensive, something I'd recommend :thumbsup:

(.....although I wish they weren't gold :rolleyes: )

al

I still plan to get the rear shock though, especially if it does for the rear what these forks have done for the front.

Big difference, and although certainly expensive, something

It does ! :bike:

Incredible but for my wife the most comfortable bike i have owned was my Ducati 888 SP5 (the position was awfull but front & rear ohlins was incredible of softness) :wub:

When money 'll be better i 'll put front & rear ohlins on my Daytona too ( after i have replace the rear wheel i just broke a week ago :( ) .

Guest captain nemo

I just plan to replace the entire front end with the Buell 9 next summer. I can't see why I cant, the the Buell parts are very reasonable.

I just plan to replace the entire front end with the Buell 9 next summer. I can't see why I cant, the the Buell parts are very reasonable.

hrmm, possibly. But to answer your question, "I don't see why I can't" ... well it depends :huh2:

Depending on the length of the Buell headtube, corresponding space between the triple-clamps, length of the fork, correspondingly derived rake and trail, etc... all of which can be complicated to replicate on another manufacturer's frame. It might work, but you'll need to do quite a bit of measuring, and you may have to fabricate some adapters/spacers for various bits to get it to fit. I would be very surprised if it would be a bolt-on affair.

It'll be interesting to see how well it works if you give it a try though...

al

No, in fact in my town they are making a lot of work in order to put a new railway so there are big holes on the avenues ! :doh:

I didn't see one of them, the time i realise it was a hole i just have time to put some power so i can pass front wheel without troubles but the rear one don't like the way it goes hurting the bottom ! :blink:

I stop as i can without falling but with a rear wheel / tire loosing pressure.

So must replace rear wheel & tire. :homer:

But as there was no sinal for this hole , the city insurrance's will take the price of wheel & tire to their count. :thumbsup:

Who needs braking? Brake lines were to short.

I have no oil cooler, only a V sump. They are made by moto special in germany, and raceco sold them too. On a track day with 35degree celcius outside, oil went up to 120 degrees.Jens Hofman from Dynotec says the V pan is good enough to skip the oil cooler. up to 140hp:-)

• 1 year later...

First off, I apologize up front for bringing this thread back to life :)

Why can't I just wait a year for someone else to figure the "kit" all out, then order the parts and have it done in a weekend   :huh2:  

10946[/snapback]

Al, you took the words out of my mouth (1 1/2 years before I said them) :D After reading this thread 3 times, I'd like to get some final clarifications/instructions for going down the path of an Ohlins front fork retrofit. And being one who hates starting redundant threads...I figure this is the best spot for now. (hmm..did I hear FAQ? ha ha!)

It sounds like there a 2 main paths to go down. I assume I can fit the OEM CF fender to either?

1. Use an older Scura/Rosso OEM forks with solid axle.

a. - First, are these even available new any more from MG or Ohlins?

b. - If available, will they bolt straight on to my Marz 02 wheel and solid axle?

c. - Is the only downside to this the smaller 40mm diameter and the weaker/heavier solid axle?

2. Use Cafe Sport OEM forks with larger, hollow axle.

a. - Are the OEM Cafe Ohlins identical to the R&T FG313 (per Al's post #69 on this thread....nice number)? If not, what differences?

b. - What is best/cost effective source to purchase? ...kinda dependent on answer to 2a.

c. - Why did folks go with a Duc 999 front axle instead of getting OEM Cafe hollow axle? Is there an incompatibility or would I need a new wheel?

d. - With the Duc axle, did anyone find a spacer that's already out there opposed to having to find a machine shop to make my own?

Anyways....that's the major questions that come to mind as look into doing the swap out. Did I miss anything? Would greatly appreciate any advice.

cheers!

The mudgard is the same for massive and hollow axle. But is different from the marzochi one, carbon or not.

-So you have a marzochi mudgard or an ohlins fitting mudgard.

-The rosso hasn't ohlins forks. But the axle is the main difference. between scura and cafe sport. MAybe it's adjusted different, but that can be changed.

- these forks aren't available from ohlins only guzzi sells them, I suppose for a price you don't want to know.

2a= yes

2b depends on where how you get one. I think antonio has one for sale?

2c= duc 999 is nicer finished:-)

2d you only need a spacer for beween the bearings.