Slug's Crash

slug

Sorry to hear about Dirty Bird going down on you, and you not coming up smiling, at least you got through it feeling a little stiff.

Innuendo aside. I hope the stiffness goes quickly. Good reminder about gear and following distances/visibility. I habitually follow very close so read the road in front of the vehicle, not always the smartest of moves.

• Replies 38
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Slug, I really cannot emphasize how sorry I feel for you. Hope you're insured to the max and will get the (new??) Goose up and running again.

Good to hear that you are not in pain and didn't breake any limps.

All the best! :thumbsup:

Søren

Hi Slug....glad to hear that youre OK.

Similar thing happened to me about 2 years ago. Hit a 4 x 4 piece of wood on freeway overpass on my VFR. I bounced about a foot off the seat....I was only going about half your speed. Hate to think what wouldve happened at 50 mph :(

Anyway, glad you were wearing the GEAR and gladder still that youre relatively unscathed.

AAAAaaargh!

But you're OK.

ATGATT, indeed. That wouldn't be old, unarmoured leather jacket, jeans, sneakers and the helmet I can leave on the bike because it's so old..............would it? Yes, some of us do need a wake-up call!

Good luck with rebuild/replacement.

great to hear you're ok. Bikes can be fixed.

atgatt. if there's one thing that's hit home with me from this website, it's that. The photo's of other people misfortune have only enforced it further.

Eeeeks. Looks worse in real life than in the pix. I hope you do not look worse in person than in the pix, Slug. I'd count on finding another bike if I was you . . .

Looks pretty terminal to me from here Greg. My Mate Andrew's Cali was nowhere near as bad as that and the assesor took one look at it and killed it on the spot. That was fine as it was what we were hoping but it was nowhere near as smacked up as Slug's bike.

Pete

Words won't describe how I feel for you.. Been there done that. Thank goodness for Riding gear technology.. Glad it did its job. As long as you keep your wits about you and want to ride then you will. I don't know if you have another bike Guzzi or not. Just get back to riding as soon as possible. That is the best medicine. I was in the Hospital for 47 day after my last accident and was riding afterthe 3rd month. That's when I bought my first Guzzi.

The bike looks bad, but you are among friends and brothers. If you need something and I have it. It's yours.

I ride with my gear all the time. I was wearing it during my last accident. It's not perfect. There are things fabric and leather wont stop. Barbwire for one. But look at the what could have happened if you weren't. Flesh isn't that resiliant.

As mentioned earlier about the Target Fixation. I wasn't there, but the way you described it, sure sounded familiar. Everytime I meet a car in a curve, I see the car that caused my accident. Once your eyes focus on an obstacle, its hard to not fixate on it. I've been working on fixing my problem and only more seat time has helped.

Get back to riding ASAP and ATGATT...

Richard Z.

aka vesparider

Looks pretty terminal to me from here Greg.

I knew Dirty Bird was dead as I slid down the asphalt, watching the bike coast in to a ditch on the left side of the road, bounce out of the ditch back in to the road and flop on it's left side, and slide some more. :glare: Well, that and the big pool of 20W-50 it bled all over the road. The cracked engine case & shredded head & barrel alone should warrant a total loss (broken wheel doesn't help either.)

One funny thing: I had the fuzzy black wrinkle paint, and it never flaked off after 19998 miles. Go figure.

The bike looks bad, but you are among friends and brothers. If you need something and I have it. It's yours.

Thanks!

As mentioned earlier about the Target Fixation. I wasn't there, but the way you described it, sure sounded familiar. Everytime I meet a car in a curve, I see the car that caused my accident. Once your eyes focus on an obstacle, its hard to not fixate on it. I've been working on fixing my problem and only more seat time has

I very well could have fixated on the rock, but only for a fraction of a second, and I just plain saw it too late. I think I had been scanning the road ahead, looking for a safe place to pass the car in front of me.

I can't add anything- just echo the previous comments. Glad you are ok, and super-glad you walked away. You can replace the bike, but I'd miss your lovely photo avatar if you weren't posting. :drink:

wait....I need a few more of those- :drink::drink::grin: and a :rasta:

I can't add anything- just echo the previous comments. Glad you are ok, and super-glad you walked away. You can replace the bike, but I'd miss your lovely photo avatar if you weren't posting. :drink:

wait....I need a few more of those- :drink::drink::grin: and a :rasta:

Don't worry, I'll still be around, in fact...

200442546-M.jpg

is starting to take shape. :)