Slug's Crash

slug

Yesterday I went for a ride from what I hoped to be Seattle to Washington Pass on the North Cascades Highway and back. Unfortunately, it didn't go as planned.

I was heading eastbound on Highway 20, about ten miles east of Marblemount, following a car that was doing the speed limit (50 mph). I was about three seconds behind the car. I should have been further. We go around a gentle left-hander and I see the car twitch to the side a bit. Then I see why: they had just gone over a rock roughly the size of a bowling ball (they cleared it), and it was directly in my path. By the time I started to swerve, it was too late. I hit the rock nearly straight on with my front wheel, HARD. A five inch chunk of the rim shattered off, instantly deflating the tire. I think the impact threw me up off the seat while it pitched the bike to the right. I think I landed part way back on the seat, but instantly lost my grip (maybe speed-wobbled?) and peeled off the left side of the bike. I hit the ground on my butt (I think) and slid on my back, butt and shoulder for about 50-75 feet. Meanwhile, my bike kept going (still in gear) and veered left in to a ditch, where it bounced back out in to the road, landing on its left side. It slid for a bit and came to a rest in the middle of the lane I was travelling in.

I was able to get up right away, relatively unhurt. I twisted my left ankle and had a bit of rugburn on the knuckles of my left hand. Later, my back started to hurt, probably from landing on my butt. The car that was in front of me stopped and the guy ran back towards me. He helped me drag my bike out of the road while his wife directed traffic.

The good stuff:

1. I was ATGATT with full leather Aprilia race pants, full leather Moto Guzzi race jacket, Sidi Vertigo boots, Alpinestars back protector, full leather Olympia gauntlet-style gloves w/kevlar stitching and an Arai Astral-X helmet. All the gear did it's job, especially the back protector. I know the impact would have messed my back up more if I hadn't been wearing it. The Aprilia pants held up very well, too. The helmet took a light bonk and it's a bit scraped up.

2. Traffic in the oncoming lane was very heavy (lots of RVs, too). Fortunately the accident happened in a break in the traffic, because I came to rest in the middle of the oncoming lane.

3. The car in front of me stopped and helped me get the bike out of the road, helping prevent further accidents.

4. No ambulance ride this time!

The bad stuff:

1. The bike (2003 Guzzi V11 Sport) is toast. Front wheel is shattered. Headlight, instrument cluster & left side controls all torn off. The left head & header obliterated. The engine case cracked open in several spots and tore away from the frame. Frame is most likely bent.

2. The bike has a salvage title, so I don't know how much I'll get for it.

3. My poor wife got lost trying to find me to pick me up, not to mention the stress knowing her husband crashed.

4. My new Hyperpro fork springs came in today.

5. I'll be bikeless for a while...

Lessons learned:

1. Three seconds behind isn't enough.

2. ATGATT

3. ATGATT

4. ATGATT

Some photos of the wreckage:

199646300-M.jpg

199647373-M.jpg

200055470-M.jpg

200053458-M.jpg

200050019-M.jpg

200050845-M.jpg

200051692-M.jpg

200052565-M.jpg

• Replies 38
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Guest ratchethack

Oh, man Slug. I'm feelin' f'er you, my friend. We've all been guilty of following too close from time to time. This is truly one of those situations that except by the grace of God, there go us all . . . -_-

My condolences on the apparent demise of the Guzzi, and at the same time, highest compliments to you on your wisdom for sticking to ATGATT!! :thumbsup:

May your next Guzzi come your way soon, and all your future rides be obstacle-free! :mg:

I'm sure you're on the beam here, but anti-inflammatories are you bestest Pal tonight.

Gosh, too bad about the bike. Good to hear it's just scrapes & bruises.

So I have to ask, how did the cop treat you? That bastard has a bad reputation with the residents of Marblemount, in fact, there have been official letters of complaint sent off. He's responsible for fleecing several hundred buck out of my pocket, one for 3 mph over. I recognise that truck like a bad smell.

In spite of him, Hwy 20 continues to be a local favourite among Canadian residents.

Ciao, Steve

Guest NotRight

All I can say is Sorry to hear of this and Happy You are OK!!!

Hindsight 20-20 is what it is. 3 seconds probably would have felt right for a lot of us. And what if the rock had just rolled out in front of you?

Point being: ATGATT!!!!!!

Curious to note your lone knuckle rash. I had a pair of Olympia gloves on when I low sided in full gear and the only road rash was on my left hand. I was rather unimpressed how my new gloves seemed to have blown apart while my Tourmaster jacket, thou thouroughly shredded on the same arm protected me well.

Mentioned this to a shop manager. His opinion Olympia gloves aren't their best product line. And behold, in the bargain bin were some Ducati leather full gauntlet gloves...beautiful and hope they hold out should I need it.

Thanks All.

Gosh, too bad about the bike. Good to hear it's just scrapes & bruises.

So I have to ask, how did the cop treat you? That bastard has a bad reputation with the residents of Marblemount, in fact, there have been official letters of complaint sent off. He's responsible for fleecing several hundred buck out of my pocket, one for 3 mph over. I recognise that truck like a bad smell.

In spite of him, Hwy 20 continues to be a local favourite among Canadian residents.

Ciao, Steve

The cop was super-nice. No problems whatsoever. The accident wasn't my fault, I was going the speed limit and not doing anything squidly, plus he was impressed that I was wearing all the gear.

The cop I am pissed at is the one that passed me going the other way, not a minute before I crashed, who didn't stop to get the rock out of the road. He couldn't have not seen it. Seriously. I asked the cop that was helping me if they normally stop to get rocks out of the road and he said that they did.

:angry:

Curious to note your lone knuckle rash. I had a pair of Olympia gloves on when I low sided in full gear and the only road rash was on my left hand. I was rather unimpressed how my new gloves seemed to have blown apart while my Tourmaster jacket, thou thouroughly shredded on the same arm protected me well.

Gloves didn't blow apart at all, in fact they held up really well. I think the skin of my knuckles just rubbed against the glove liner too hard. I think it would happen with any glove.

Lessons learned:

1. Three seconds behind isn't enough.

2. ATGATT

3. ATGATT

4. ATGATT

Sorry to hear about the accident, but very glad you are OK.

Being that I am one of the resident forum chronic disagreers, I have to say that three seconds is enough, and if you were paying BETTER attention and or not suffering from central fixation on the bowling ball size rock, you could have dodged it.

Am I saying that I would have dodged it?

No, I am not very skilled and probably would have been looking at the pretty scenery, centrally fixated, and knocked the rock a block.

I am saying that if I was fully focused, alert and ready, I would have dodged it, and that being focused, alert and ready as much of the time as possible is important for survival. I think it is something that just about all of us can improve upon. Certainly most of us being old geezers, we must have been doing something right to survive this long, but I believe that we can and should learn from one another's mistakes.

Practicing braking is something I know I need to do more of. It is easy to spend 1 minute per week practicing and cutting stopping distances dramatically.

My last accident was caused by too big a fist of brake. Hopefully I learned from that mistake

I know your posting ATGATT reinforces another lesson that I should learn.

Once in a while I ride only with leather sneakers, Jeans, Jacket, Helmet and Gloves, with the biggest problem being the jeans lack of protection.

Also, you wear a back protector, which I don't, and that clearly saved you.

My jackets have padding on the back, but it is not the same level of protection.

Thanks for posting and reminding me to use ATGATT.

Really sorry to hear this. It sounds like EXACTLY the sort of bad luck and crap circumstances that led to me doing big damage to my SP when avoiding a 'Roo a few years ago.

Good things? You are OK. The bike is probably a write off. Griso 8V will be available late next year. :grin:

You are insured?

Pete

Slug --

When I see pictures like the one of your bike, my heart sinks. So sorry.

More importantly, ATGATT!!! I have grown slack of late -- heading out with jeans and jacket more than I care to admit. This is a wake up call for my sorry, cavalier ass!

Main thing is, you're ok.

Now, if I could just get MY V11 going again, I could give the Firebolt a rest and get back on the bike that really gets my heart racing...

v50

Wow, that's scarier than hell. I'm very glad you weren't injured seriously. Stupid me, I don't know what ATGATT stands for. I see the broken front engine mount, I can pretty much guarantee that the frame is bent. If you wind up parting out the bike, please contact me, I need some wiring harness parts. If you're going to try and put it all back together, contact me and I'll relate the tale of woe it took to get Frankensport back on the street and you'll think instead of just finding a replacement V11 Sport.