Slug's Crash

slug

• Replies 38
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I'm with the others. Glad you're OK. Glad you're thinking of another project. And appreciate this coming at a time when I was also contemplating less than full kit for the "short and simple" commute to work. I'll think again.

So sorry to hear, this sort of thing gives me chills.

Glad you're OK & hope you're back on 2 wheels soon.

ATGATT is for real, plan for the worst, hope for the best...

As others have stated, glad you came thru O.K., & sorry for your lost bike! Good thing is that if you were going to crash, you crashed now instead of a couple years ago when prices on Guzzis, new or used, were so depressed because of lack of confidence in continued existence of the brand!

WRT "ATGATT:" a couple of posts to this thread have said "I was just going to go for the blue jeans & t-shirt for the quick ride to the store, I don't live in a helmet law state (or country.)"

Case study #1: my brother, many years ago when the Suzuki GS750 was a hot bike to ride and before Calif. had a helmet law, decided to run down to the gas station to buy some more cigarettes. Literally 2 blocks away. A blue hair runs a red light & nails him. He came thru o.k. (luckily!), but has a nifty Frankenstein scar in his forehead & was picking road grit out of his skin even a year later... [1]

Case study #2: 2 years ago this past May 17th, I decided to ride to work in just my jeans & leather jacket, it was such a nice day, too nice to get completely suited up. No, I'd better wear it, that's why I bought that used Aerostich, & besides, who knows how cold it'll be tonight when I get off work?.. 2 miles later, some yutz pops his door on me as I'm filtering up to the front at a red light. Even w/ the suit & padding, catching the door edge on meant going to hospital & having my knee stitched up; they decided that I have a 2-pc patella, & declined to put pins in my kneecap. I'll never walk quite right again, but you can be d@mn certain that I'm glad I reconsidered the ATGATT option! [2]

Keep the faith, Slugster!

:2c:

[1] No, he didn't even get his bike replaced & all his medical bills covered, his lawyer clearly sold him out to the other side. She wasn't particularly wealthy, but she had the ins. coverage & owned her own home, etc. I didn't find out about the gory legal details until many years afterward, or I would have been the first person in line to get that clown disbarred...

[2] No, the yutz didn't get charged w/ vehicular assault, even tho' it was clearly intentional [who waits until the light turns green to pop their door in traffic?] Nice enough police officer responding to the scene, but he was a cruiser officer, not a motor cop. If it had been a CHP motor officer, I'm fairly certain that I would have had the pleasure of seeing said yutz carted off in cuffs. The CHP aren't known for being kind to idiots of that ilk & letting them off w/ a simple $50 ticket... Yutz had just declared bankruptcy a couple months prior, so he was judgement proof. Just my (un)lucky day, I guess! :bbblll:

Yikes! Sorry to hear of your accident Slug, but it's great that you weren't seriously injured. I hope your insurance company compensates you fairly for the loss of the dirty bird.

When will you be sharing the details of the Magpie with us? Is it another V11 spiney?

Yikes! Sorry to hear of your accident Slug, but it's great that you weren't seriously injured. I hope your insurance company compensates you fairly for the loss of the dirty bird.

When will you be sharing the details of the Magpie with us? Is it another V11 spiney?

Magpie Guzzi will be yet another V11 related site. No discussion forum, that's what V11Lemans is for :D . The main focus will be a V11 related Wiki that will hopefully be an organized resource for V11 specs, reference, maintenance, hacks, bodges and the like. It will be open so anyone will be able to contribute.

I'd also like to have a directory of businesses and individuals that make/sell V11 related stuff. (Shameless Plug: I'll be selling my carbon fiber bits from here)

This whole thing is still in its infancy and I still have a lot of stuff to work/figure out. If anyone wants to help or make fun of me, just PM me. I know there are other sites that have how-tos (including this one) but IMHO I think we all need something more organized (no offense Jaap :) )...

Yesterday I went for a ride from what I hoped to be Seattle to Washington Pass on the North Cascades Highway and back. Unfortunately, it didn't go as planned.

The bad stuff:

1. The bike (2003 Guzzi V11 Sport) is toast. Front wheel is shattered. Headlight, instrument cluster & left side controls all torn off. The left head & header obliterated. The engine case cracked open in several spots and tore away from the frame. Frame is most likely bent.

2. The bike has a salvage title, so I don't know how much I'll get for it.

3. My poor wife got lost trying to find me to pick me up, not to mention the stress knowing her husband crashed.

4. My new Hyperpro fork springs came in today.

5. I'll be bikeless for a while...

Some photos of the wreckage: [trimmed]

200055470-M.jpg

200053458-M.jpg

200050019-M.jpg

200050845-M.jpg

Don't know how it goes in WA, but here in CA, ins. co.'s will "total" a bike 'cause it's too expensive to fix, but then not give you enough to actually replace it ['cause they use their own fantasy market values, not the KBB full retail numbers], and then try to get you to sign over the title on the totaled machine to them to get your check.

Don't fall for the scam: if they don't actually pay you enough to replace the bike, it's still yours! They'll turn around and sell the carcass to a salvage yard for $500 or more to defray their costs, while not meeting their obligation to replace the bike they've totaled [& btw, rendered largely valueless by clouding the title w/ a "Salvage" status, even if you did fix it up & try to sell it...] Don't be afraid to play hardball w/ them, do your shopping to find the actual price of models identical to yours are selling for [eBay has some uses in this area, as well as ads in Craigslist, etc.] & don't just sign over your old bike unless they've actually paid you for it.

Yeah, parting it out yourself might be a complete pain & nuisance, but if they refuse to come thru w/ the correct payout, it may make up the difference between what they gave you & what you actually need to replace it...

:2c:

Best o' luck, & hopefully, your ins. co. isn't populated by the sort who only care about the bottom line...

:thumbsup: