UK V11 Meeting 2008?

Guzzirider

Funny you should mention heading north east. I had a route all typed out in my original post but deleted it at the last minute!!

So how about A702 via Moniaive to Thornhill. The A76 north then back onto A702 through the Dalveen Pass. Then double back via Leadhills, Wanlockhead (the highest village in Scotland) and back via New Cumnock Dalmellington.

• Replies 107
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Funny you should mention heading north east. I had a route all typed out in my original post but deleted it at the last minute!!

So how about A702 via Moniaive to Thornhill. The A76 north then back onto A702 through the Dalveen Pass. Then double back via Leadhills, Wanlockhead (the highest village in Scotland) and back via New Cumnock Dalmellington.

Looks good on the map. :thumbsup:

I'd go for that.

What says MacG?

Just to be sure, for myself and perhaps others, is this still May 16th-18th? Also where exactly? I know it's Ken Bridge but it's not shown on my, (crappy), map.

Yes it is still that weekend- link to the Ken Bridge website with directions is here and here it is on Google maps

I believe all the rooms have gone, unless there is someone with a room to themselves who wishes to share, but plenty of camping space.

Hopefully see you there.

Guy

Just to be sure, for myself and perhaps others, is this still May 16th-18th? Also where exactly? I know it's Ken Bridge but it's not shown on my, (crappy), map.

When you thinking of leaving

• 1 month later...

Well double good news ( may not be for some) got the last single room in the place and managed to swap weekends with the ex. Still a family room available if anyone fancies a bunk up( don't take that the wrong way Dave)

You're very naughty, holding it on same weekend as the NW 200. <_>

This was going to be the first year in recent times that I would be free to get to NW! Perhaps the Saturday ride should be via Stranraer-Larne ferry to Coleraine! :P

It's going to be odd at the ferry terminal on the Friday (and Sunday) when hundreds and hundreds of bikes are getting the ferry in the opposite direction.

I shall be (sadly) attending my brother-in-law's wedding in sunny Cyprus. Hope you folks all have a jolly good time. Will be back on the Wednesday after so if you need assistance near the Angel of the North, feel free to shout.

I've booked the ferry :bike:

Can't believe it's (almost) a year since the last one

MacGuzzi must be –> :oldgit: by now

Excellent! Well here is a summary of the info for this meeting:

Dates: Friday 16th May to Sunday 18th May. I am guessing that most riders will arrive on the Friday, and depart some time on the Sunday, but I guess there is nothing to stop you arriving earlier or leaving later, but please let the hotel know first if you need to book extra nights.

Rideout: We will probably go on a rideout on the Saturday as discussed earlier in this thread. If you wish to join in, please note that some of the fantastic roads we will travel on are heavily policed due to the high number of bike fatalities, and if you do have an accident, you may be in a very remote area a long way from any medical help. Some of the roads are narrow, twisty, unforgiving and can catch you out, so I recommend you ride safely and obey the traffic laws. This is hopefully going to be a fun event and we don't want anybody injured or worse. Ok, safety lecture over- but it's important!

Fuel: There is no fuel in Ken Bridge- I recommend you fill up before you arrive, or you may get stuck! Plenty of fuel in Dumfries / Stranraer depending upon which direction you are coming from- if you see a petrol station and do not know where the next one is, fill up! Edit- just spoken to Dave the landlord- there is petrol 2 and a half miles north of Ken Bridge but I would still fill up if in doubt-.

ATM No ATM in Ken Bridge, but if you have a UK debit card you can do cashback. If in doubt, take some cash with you.

Weather: Just be prepared for anything- it may be very warm and sunny, or it may be cold, wet and windy- maybe in the same day!

Food and drink: I have camped at the hotel before and the food and drink is excellent- traditional Scottish fare with a good selection of beers! There is no local shop so stock up before you arrive if you wish to take your own provisions.

Camping Please confirm to me if you are camping so I can let the landlord know rough numbers.

The meeting will be very much a "turn up, chill out and do whatever you like" sort of affair- apart from a suggested route for the rideout it will be a case of do whatever suits you!

Should be fun and I'm looking forward to it!! Let me know if you need any more help and information!

Cheers

Guy :helmet: