No sport bike in Guzzi range marketing director says

1100sport

"Sportsbike" - who cares what you classify it as....the street-legal MGS-02 will do just fine against the high-strung "supersports" where the road matters most.

Actually, since there's little hope of such brilliance escaping the confines of the factory before 2010, it would be more correctly labeled the "MGS-10," since the "-01" in the original's nomenclature was a reference to the year of the concept bike first seeing daylight, 2001. :nerd:

I can live w/o the added displacement; something in the 1000-1200cc range is perfectly adequate to my needs. Let's just git'er DONE! :thumbsup:

• Replies 151
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

sad but true, guzzirider.

my next sportsbike will probably be something like a Ducati 848...

I'd rather have a Guzzi, so I hope we're wrong...

sad but true, guzzirider.

my next sportsbike will probably be something like a Ducati 848...

I'd rather have a Guzzi, so I hope we're wrong...

The 848 looks stunning in white.

33665613.jpg

When the MGS-01 made its debut at the Seattle CycleWorld Show, I watched people stand at the display and admire that bike for awhile.

I was there. People were absolutely dumbstruck. They need to build it, even if it's 7 years too late.

I was there. People were absolutely dumbstruck. They need to build it, even if it's 7 years too late.

I was there too, very early. I stared at it like everyone else. Last year at the Vancouver Show, Helicopter Jim had his at the Guzzi display. Again, people stared in amazement that M.G. could make something like that. Squids, greasers, mods, everybody. Too bad they couldn't start it inside, it sounds over the top frickin' unreal.

They could use that same body style and fit it to the new format of bike frames they have. Realistically, they will have to use an engine that currently meets noise and emission requirements, so the MGS-01 engine's state of tune will never be seen again. Just won't happen.

In fact, I don't know why one of us hasn't tried to find this bodywork and adapt it to a standard V11. It would be much easier than adapting it to the new format. Hey Greg, is there a price listing for the bodywork for the MGS-01? I think I have a plan!!

Steve

What it 'Looks' like holistically is basically unimportant as long as it looks like a humpy-bike but retaind the V-twin architechture? Am I right?

OK, So forget having an MGS-02 that uses any of the main bits that the MGS-01 uses. Sorry, but the 'Old' six speed gearbox is dead. As is the belt drive Hi-Cam.

Rather than looking to the past why not start thinking seriously about what you'd like from a bike using the Nuovo 8V/ Nuovo 6 speed/ and CARC system, because boys, (And I think you are all boys?) if you get a Nuovo LeMans THAT is what it's going to be based around, not the 'Old' stuff.

I'm about,. in the next few days, to embark on a rant about the new motor and how it stacks up against my old Griso 11 and I'll even throw in some V11 refferences to tantalize and probably enrage you. I will give my own, admittedly seriously subjective, overview and suggestions as to what Guzzi/Aprilia will have to do to get this donk up to the sort of speed that most people seem to crave.

Don't worry. The new motor is a F@cking GEM!!!!! But it is restricted, not by noise surprisingly, it's loud out of the crate! but by it's inlet tract.

I was hoping to post on Guzzitech but it's down at the moment so I'll probably post my rant up on Mild.

pete

Don't worry. The new motor is a F@cking GEM!!!!! But it is restricted, not by noise surprisingly, it's loud out of the crate! but by it's inlet tract.

I was hoping to post on Guzzitech but it's down at the moment so I'll probably post my rant up on Mild.

Don't just stand there man, get on with it! 'Mild' had me flummoxed for a minute, but I guess you mean Wildguzzi? Let us know when you post it.

By the way, a minor(ish) point, but what do you think of the motor's whining? Maybe it's not so present for you if you're operating in more open spaces at higher revs than those of us in town/city traffic?

The whole inlet-airbox is a bit of a crocodile. Are you going to... tamper with it?

The whining is all related to the new gear train at the front that drives the dummy shaft and oil pump. It may quieten with time, I don't think so as I believe the gears are straight cut, I haven't bothered confirming that though. I also have a? How would I describe it? A knock, at idle. My feeling is that a LOT of this is due to backlash in the gears, (SAme way the clutch intermediate plate would rattle or ring with the uneven power pulses of the 90* twin when the lever was pulled in.) I'm sure it can be minimised by careful ballancing of the TB's but I'll be buggered if I'm going to bother doing that yet. I'll wait until its done at least 1500Km before I even think about it.

Have you wound yours out a bit yet? The fueling on mine low down is fantastic! From 2000 you can whack open the throttle in every gear and it just surges forward. The 1100 was nice, but this is so much NICER :grin: When it gets to about 5800 something really quite extraordinary, (For a Guzzi!) happens. Try it in third. Ride it up to there with the throttle WFO. Even with only 400 Km on mine its really VERY silly :wub:

I'll finish the 'Run In' this weekend, do the first service Monday and then I think I'll go huntin' next week. I've already torched one git on a GS11 away from the lights in Canberra but it'll be the twisties where I plan to do a bit or ritual humiliation. I could humble them on the 1100, (And as I've oft said, I'm a crap rider.) with this thing I should be able to render them into pools or blubber. It really is that good as a ROAD, (Or ROGUE!) bike. :sun:

Pete

33665613.jpg

I managed to take a 748 piloted by one of the clown-suit brigade coming up the Clyde mountain on my 1100 Griso. I think he was really pissed off at having a fat *old* bloke on a 'Guzzi' round him up, (I reckon Rob, our race bike pilot, could of done him on a '76 LeMans :lol: ) One of these 848's should be easy meat for the 8VG. As long as it's ridden by a numpty, and lets face it, most of them are!!!! :thumbsup::mg::mg::mg:

Pete

I was there too, very early. I stared at it like everyone else. Last year at the Vancouver Show, Helicopter Jim had his at the Guzzi display. Again, people stared in amazement that M.G. could make something like that. Squids, greasers, mods, everybody. Too bad they couldn't start it inside, it sounds over the top frickin' unreal.

They could use that same body style and fit it to the new format of bike frames they have. Realistically, they will have to use an engine that currently meets noise and emission requirements, so the MGS-01 engine's state of tune will never be seen again. Just won't happen.

In fact, I don't know why one of us hasn't tried to find this bodywork and adapt it to a standard V11. It would be much easier than adapting it to the new format. Hey Greg, is there a price listing for the bodywork for the MGS-01? I think I have a plan!!

Steve

You probably have no concept of how expensive that bodywork is. A local guy has one of the MGSs (crab-boat captain) and he ordered extra bodywork "just in case." Of course, the clowns at Aprilia packed it in a box that was too short for the long upper seat/tank/fairing and it got damaged in shipping. It took nearly a year and huge money in unreimbursed shipping costs to get another that wasn't already damaged. I doubt you could get one now. They probably all got damaged in shipping.

Hi pete,

I did drive the stelvio, and the engine is nice, but when I look at the technical things, the huge intake, and other evolutions from the old 4v, there should be more to get. So, or the cams are wrong, or something else is.

I drove home my own 4v after the stelvio, and that one is much stronger. Even with standard v11 exhaustsystem.

Only thing I don't get, is why they gave it such a small bore. Or there is easy more there so they can grow to 100mm or more, to get the 1400cc engine what we sometimes read about. And 1400 @ guzzi means 1351cc. If a > 100 bore fits in then they get it.

You probably have no concept of how expensive that bodywork is. A local guy has one of the MGSs (crab-boat captain) and he ordered extra bodywork "just in case." Of course, the clowns at Aprilia packed it in a box that was too short for the long upper seat/tank/fairing and it got damaged in shipping. It took nearly a year and huge money in unreimbursed shipping costs to get another that wasn't already damaged. I doubt you could get one now. They probably all got damaged in shipping.

Every part of the mgs01 is extreme expensive. to get an idea, look here:

http://oemmotorparts.com

two posibilities: my austrian friend that made the mgs01 replica sells body sets with subframes. That was made for centauro frame so will fit on v11 frame.

The other is Guzzibun who let make replica bodywork for racing with his mgs01 by Gyles. But I'm not shure it will fit a v11.

In both cases a tank has to be made, the thing you see is a cover only. But that tank could be pretty rough, you don't see it.

There might be a non-Guzzi source for MGS body parts. Gyles and Guzzbun had molds of the MGS bodywork made and popped out a new set before they entered Guzzbun's MGS-01 in the Thunderbike series. Guzzbun said now that the molds are done fiberglass reproductions can be made, possibly for $1200.

The thread is here: http://www.v11lemans.com/forums/index.php?...c=12978&hl=