Why Motorcyclists are Invisible on the Road

Guest ratchethack

Black Bears rarely get speeding tickets, especially at night with lights off. :D

But I suppose living is more important than a few speeding tickets.

Still, black is my favorite color, so rejoice as there is always hope that maybe some cataract guided missile will take me out of your miserable universe. :sun:

As a cyclist I would like to add something anecdotally. Over the years I have had friends and acquaintances hit by cars, two of them killed when riding after dark with full lights and high viz clothing. I have yet to hear of any cyclist who has been hit or injured when riding at night without lights or high viz clothing.

I have my own ideas about this but would be interested if anyone has any confirmation of my observations, or theories that could account for them (other than I'm just another demented Guzzi nut). :mellow:

I have my own ideas about this but would be interested if anyone has any confirmation of my observations, or theories that could account for them (other than I'm just another demented Guzzi nut). :mellow:

you mean like you don't hit things you never see, or the completion of sequence like a hi viz. jacket 'wants' to be seen. same way a puncture repair kit wants to used?

too much Pirsig perhaps?

As a cyclist I would like to add something anecdotally. Over the years I have had friends and acquaintances hit by cars, two of them killed when riding after dark with full lights and high viz clothing. I have yet to hear of any cyclist who has been hit or injured when riding at night without lights or high viz clothing.

I don't know the answer to this, other than there are no riders I know of who ride at night without lights. There may be, but probably they are so few that they'd hardly show up in any statistics. OTOH, from what I've read and noticed, we tend to see cops very well. In this country at least, they haven't been at all very conspicuous, if you think of how they're dressed. However, IMO they stand out, as they embody the threat of getting pulled over and ticketed. David Hough had a story about an "unofficial" test about conspicuity, including the "cop look", which ended up being the most conspicuous. And I think white, brown or dark Crown Victorias are more conspicuous than yellow Fords.

Also, re: visibility, there have been points being made about the connection between hi-viz/modulators/hi beam, and target fixation. Until a serious, unbiased and complete study is made, hard to know. In the meantime, I guess we all know the bottom line, which is that we're invisible--if they're not already out to get us.

Guest ratchethack
Black Bears rarely get speeding tickets, especially at night with lights off. :D

But I suppose living is more important than a few speeding tickets.

?! :wacko: ?!

Still, black is my favorite color, so rejoice as there is always hope that maybe some cataract guided missile will take me out of your miserable universe. :sun:

YIKES!

NO COLOR a-tall is your favorite color?! Hmm. I'm sure this explains something. . . :unsure:

I wouldn't be so careless about wot hopes you ascribe to others if I were you, Dave. . . :huh:

As a matter of fact, despite the latest trendy, re-heated versions of the same old folly and folderol wrought and bought by homo sapiens, my universe (or at least my corner of it) seems to be doing swimmingly of late. :thumbsup:

post-1212-1205714034.jpg

Sorry your visitation here has been so miserable for you. :( . . .It's obviously continuing to be quite a challenging adjustment. But I'm sure all will be well back home in your universe. . . ;)

post-1212-1205715523.jpg

I don't know the answer to this, other than there are no riders I know of who ride at night without lights. There may be, but probably they are so few that they'd hardly show up in any statistics. OTOH, from what I've read and noticed, we tend to see cops very well. In this country at least, they haven't been at all very conspicuous, if you think of how they're dressed. However, IMO they stand out, as they embody the threat of getting pulled over and ticketed. David Hough had a story about an "unofficial" test about conspicuity, including the "cop look", which ended up being the most conspicuous. And I think white, brown or dark Crown Victorias are more conspicuous than yellow Fords.

Also, re: visibility, there have been points being made about the connection between hi-viz/modulators/hi beam, and target fixation. Until a serious, unbiased and complete study is made, hard to know. In the meantime, I guess we all know the bottom line, which is that we're invisible--if they're not already out to get us.

Until motorcycles are 5" wide and at least 3 1/2" tall you are f****d ! plain and simple. I have had drivers pull out in front of me 3xs in 30 min. My brother-in-law gave me the best advice. RIDE AS THOUGH YOU ARE INVISIBLE ! I ride like there is a "hit" on me at all times. until things with more than 4 wheels are outlawed you are unsafe.

With this fear staring me in the face I try to have fun!!

As a matter of fact, my universe (or at least my corner of it) seems to be doing swimmingly of late. :thumbsup:

:thumbsup:

As I compose this message my Mother just called and her best friend's sister was just killed in a car crash.

Possibly a hit and run.

:(

By comparison, I guess my life (with unemployment looming) is doing swimmingly, too.

That's part of why bicycle (tail)lights blink now: someone figured out that the steadily-lit taillights attracted drunk drivers like moths to the flame!

I'm lucky in that where I did most of my night-time riding was here in Irvine, So. Cal., which is one of the 1st planned communities to make a decision to have adequate and pervasive on- and off-street (ie, bicycle paths) bike lanes.

Then like an idiot I moved away... :wacko:

I am pretty hard to ignore wearing this:

ast-mens-jacket286.jpg

With these on:

101-0131_IMG.jpg

And these:

2conv_kit.jpg

And (not my bike):

hyperlites-lg.gif

And (not my bike):

mv01cols2.jpg

This helps too:

stebel_black_compact_lrg.jpg

But with me around you'd likely miss the dancing bear. If studies prove the target fixation theory I'm switching to matte black and no lights.

- Avowed Safety Geek and ATGATT Promoter.

That's part of why bicycle (tail)lights blink now: someone figured out that the steadily-lit taillights attracted drunk drivers like moths to the flame!

I'm lucky in that where I did most of my night-time riding was here in Irvine, So. Cal., which is one of the 1st planned communities to make a decision to have adequate and pervasive on- and off-street (ie, bicycle paths) bike lanes.

Then like an idiot I moved away... :wacko:

Many cyclists in UK have been using flashing led based rear lights for many years, in fact they have only been legal here for some 3 years I think.

Unfortunately they still have not been the protection many have hoped. There is an increasing antipathy towards cyclists by certain sections of the motoring public, with aggressive behaviour meeted out to those who clearly identify themselves. :o

The many non lit cyclists seen in the urban environment like Leeds are usually (excuse the stereotyping) our more feral young men who don't give a f*&^ and most people give a wide birth to. <_>

Oh yes, and Three Cheers for Irvine :bier:

There is an increasing antipathy towards cyclists by certain sections of the motoring public, with aggressive behaviour meeted out to those who clearly identify themselves.

A noisy minority of Cyclists tend not obey the rules of the road like cycling on pavements, through red lights, not stopping when coming out side streets etc etc but they dont need to undertake a test, wear a helmet, pay road tax or display a registration mark. All of which ruins their reputation as a pressure group. I never seen the moonwalking bear either. Incidentally what's the penalty for not wearing a helmet on a motorcycle in the UK?

A noisy minority of Cyclists tend not obey the rules of the road like cycling on pavements, through red lights, not stopping when coming out side streets etc etc but they dont need to undertake a test, wear a helmet, pay road tax or display a registration mark. All of which ruins their reputation as a pressure group. I never seen the moonwalking bear either. Incidentally what's the penalty for not wearing a helmet on a motorcycle in the UK?

Nowt if you are wearing a turban.

My money goes on the concept of "target fixation". As motorcyclists we know that you hit what you look at. It works for cars and aircraft as well.

Draw too much attention and you become an unwitting target. My personal philosophy is "be apparent but not obtrusive". Seems to have worked for 40 yrs of motorcycling. That and "Presume that every cager is actually out there looking to kill you."

This target fixation thing argues against those pulse-light headlight modulators.......... plus they are ghey!