Metallic Noise clutch

Jose Paulo

When I pull the clutch lever I hear a metallic noise, what is wrong?

It's the clutch disc or the bearing clutch?

My Guzzi V11 have only 13000 km.

Thanks.

Is OK Jose. The dry clutch clatters.

Apart from the typical dry clutch rattle, I have a metallic sounding squeech when I'm pulling the lever at idle. When riding it isn't there or I just don't here it. Same difference. I had this from new, and I just ignore it.

The Scura goes quiet when I pull the lever in.Seems like it's not clacking as much when moving.

Apart from the typical dry clutch rattle, I have a metallic sounding squeech when I'm pulling the lever at idle. When riding it isn't there or I just don't here it. Same difference. I had this from new, and I just ignore it.

If these things had a clutch throwout bearing, I'd say yours would probably need to be replaced. The V11 sport variants don't have these, right? Correct me if I'm wrong.

In other words, I have no idea what may be causing that sound. The aftermarket clutch on my Ducati groans when I engage it in 1st, and the clutch in my MINI does the same (usually when the weather's cold), but my Guzzi clutch is relatively quiet, except for a slight rattle when it's disengaged.

__Jason

Yes they have a throw out bearing. Thing is it isn't like a car type one, it operates on the back end of the clutch pushrod and is lubricated by the gearbox oil.

The reason why Guzzi clutches rattle is simple. On the twin platers as used in most big blocks since the dawn of time when the lever is pulled in and then plates, two friction and one intermediate, are not subject to a clamping force they will, at idle, rattle around on the splines of the gearbox input hub and the flywheel. This can be minimised by setting your ide speed to 1100-1200RPM, where it should be, and ballancing the TB's correctly. It is also not a good idea to sit for long periods of time with the clutch pulled in.

With the single platers as fitted to Scuras, Mandello Rossos, and I think a couple of other models, the noise happens when the clutch lever is released. On the single plate models the friction plate has shock absorbing 'Anti Rattle Springs' :lol: That don't perform their function very well. Once again, set the idle speed up to 1100-1200 and ballance the TB's but even if you do this correctly it will, in most cases, still sound like two backhoes fighting in a rubbish dump. This in itself seems to cause no undue damage but the Scura flywheels are a known issue. I haven't heard of a Mandello Rosso grenading but it is the same basic component.

FWIW the new single plater as used in the Griso 1200 and Stelvio is silent at all times!

Pete

Scura's, Rosso Mandello's, and Tenni's all have the dreaded aluminum flywheel associated with the single plate clutch.

When I first heard a V11 clutch, I thought the thing was about to blow apart. I know now it's normal.

Great idea Pete on raising idle. I've been thinking of raising it a bit more, to reduce engine braking in twisty roads.

Steve

My mate's Ducati had a worn clutch basket and used to rattle a lot at idle. My 2000 V11 sounds much like his bike did. Besides the suggestions already made, is there anything else that can be done to reduce the noise?

Guest ratchethack
My mate's Ducati had a worn clutch basket and used to rattle a lot at idle. My 2000 V11 sounds much like his bike did. Besides the suggestions already made, is there anything else that can be done to reduce the noise?

Yep.

post-1212-1210197124.jpg

Highly recommended. :thumbsup:

My 2000 V11 sounds much like his bike did. Besides the suggestions already made, is there anything else that can be done to reduce the noise?

Yup.

Buy a new 8 valver :grin:

Pete

Perhaps Pete can comment. I've always noticed that the California based bikes, [stone, etc] are much quieter. Now, I'm trying to separate the sound of the clutch chatter when you pull the clutch lever in, and, the V11's characteristic gearbox "chingle"at idle, which the Californias do not seem to have. I can only surmise that this is a result of the heavier flywheel on the 'Cali' , which reduses/stops the "speeding up and slowing down" of the engine, reducing the clattering noise on the gears of the gearbox main shaft. Am I correct in this Pete?

Steve