Rear Wheel Bearing

tripletom

I've done numerous searches and haven't found anything that actually describes how to get the bearing out. It's the brake side bearing, and has worn through the seal going, no idea why, and then a huge influx of water and road dirt on my recent (as in got back last night) trip through France/Spain. For the record Spain has had the most rain for 50 years...

So i've got the wheel out, removed the circlip and...well what now? I can't get a good blow onto the bearing from the other side with a screwdriver, I've heated the alloy around the circlip grooved steel section up and still nothing...Please any hints and tips...

Its a real pain to get at, I bought an internal bearing puller to get it out !

Putting a rawl bolt into the bearing inner race and using a long chisle/screw driver from the other side might work ?

Dave

+1 on the "real pain to remove". :(

I used a hammer and a variety of long implements to drive it out from the opposite side. Nothing I did was particularly effective, but after enough hammering and cursing (and hammering and cursing, and hammering and...) it finally did come out. The "flanges" that hold the bearing spacer centered in the hub are thin metal and not essential; they can be pried out of the way and discarded if you like.

Here's two suggestions that might be useful: Change BOTH bearings while you are at it. The second one comes out way easier. Also - measure the spacer that resides between the bearing inner races. If it's been compressed (much less than about 113 mm I think?), the new bearings won't last long. Many past threads on this, and many have opted for replacement.

Good luck. Don't forget the cursing.... :lol:

Thanks for the replies so far guys. It hasn't worn through the spacer being compressed, rather through the seal going and the ingress of water and dirt. I shall try to drift out the other side and then get both out...two chances.

There is a 'cut-out' in one side of the bearing spacer which enables you to get a drift to gain purchase on the bearing outer. Can't remember which side the cut out is on (could be turned round) but the drift needs to be 6-8 mm in diameter. Hope this helps/makes sense.

Phil

There definitely are old threads describing this dreadful business. Unfortunately I can't remember the various solutions, but they have included rawlbolts and home-made expanding what-nots. I know that I have a screwdriver with a tip that I bent to angle that would give a better approach and purchase on the inner edge of the bearing. Definitely do the two sides, not just one.

Ugh. Bad memories from this experience. <_>

Both times I had to replace a bearing, the inner races broke free. I had to resort to a dremel with cutting discs to get the outer races out. Good luck.

Problem when drifting out bearing is maintaining purchase on bearing edge. I've found inserting a wooden wedge to hold drift in place against opposite bearing works OK. There was a description of a tool made up from a piece of slotted pipe, but I never tried it. I made spacer w/o locating flanges - it's more difficult to locate axle, but a doddle to drift brngs...

KB :sun: