V11 crashed...

Dimitris

Went on Sunday morning for a ride with some other friends. During a right corner, in the heart of it, the bike just "slipped" beneath my feet...I believe I experienced a low-siding. I don't know why yet and maybe never I will. The important thing is that I am OK. Not even a scratch. The bike is in awful condition. I am so sad.

The picture of seeing your bike in such a mess...is so..bad..!

All the front fairing, the headlamp, the right clip on, the front brake lever, the rear brake lever, the turn indicators, the instrument panel, the right muffler, all are destroyed. The tank has only some paint damage. All these damages are expensive, I know this, but the more serious thing is a small crack on the left side, at the spot where the left "up-side-down-V" frame is mounted with a screw on the engine. The crack is not on the frame but on the engine, just close to where the screw is....

Maybe this could be fixed...but how am I trust her again, knowing that the base of where the frame is mounted is "fixed"?....

Just 10 days ago I tried the Bridgestone BT016. Ah!

• Replies 31
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Maybe this could be fixed...but how am I trust her again, knowing that the base of where the frame is mounted is "fixed"?....

So sorry to read about your disaster.

This is indeed very sad and we understand that you feel devastated about the damage to your bike. The most difficult part to repair will probably be the cracked engine casing. Is it the front part: the timing cover? This is a very bad design, it is so weak for such an important structural connection. Oil will quickly leak from that crack. It can be blocked to some extent but you'll not stop it completely. The same thing happened to me and others. You might be able to get the case welded but that is not straightforward, with oil contamination and heat warping. I tried to order a new part and was told by the dealer that they are not available and won't be available from Italy any more. That might not be true.

If your forks and frame are ok... you could get the bike on the road again fairly soon, even if it doesn't look good and leaks oil. I rode mine with the leaking, cracked case. It's not good, but it's ok – until you can sort out a proper fix or a new part. :(

So sorry to hear this. obviously it is good that you are OK physically. But the bike....

Are saying you were on new tyres? This might explain the sudden loss of traction.

Bob

You have to look at the machine and decide if it is to become a parts bike for it's replacement, without emotion deciding. Italian bikes are especially expensive to repair cosmetic damage.

I've been where you are, in the same position, and it's tough to think that way now, but the correct decision will be easier to make after the event sinks in a while.

Steve

I'd hold on to her and look for donor parts, engine or bike.

Sorry, but glad you could walk away.

Dimitris,

Very sorry to here about the bike but glad to hear you walked away undamaged.

Something on the road? Changing surface or crest? Cold tyres? First time on unworn part of tyre? I nearly had a mishap yesterday, not paying attention, nearly home after 400miles I didn't notice a patch of gravel mid corner - foot down, just got away with it - lucky. One minute the world's a wonderful place, next minute you can be on your arse. Good luck with the fix, mate.

KB :sun:

Sorry to hear of your crash, Dimitris. A cost effect way to repair it may be to turn her into a naked bike, like a V11 Sport, if you don't mind sacrificing the fairing. You will need a 7 inch Bosch headlamp (shop araound and buy a used BMW unit) and the two V11 Sport headlamp brackets

You can get pattern levers for a fraction of the cost of the originals (try Agostinis) and exhausts keep popping up on EBAY at reasonable prices.

She will be back on the road with a little effort!

Guy :helmet:

...I tried to order a new part and was told by the dealer that they are not available and won't be available from Italy any more....

Is the V11 part different to the 1100 Sport?

KB :sun:

Thank you all for your comments guys!

Today I will go to my mechanic, to where the bike is left and see about the damages. I really can't think of the cause of falling. The tyres were new. I had done about 280 km with those tyres. Half of them on track. I dont remember being cornering on the limit...Nor I think that I twisted the throttle in the heart of the corner. Was it little stones? mud? humidity? all this combination? I don't know...

To tell the truth I won't be satisfied until I ride again a V11 LeMans....I don't know if it will be the damaged one, if something else...

The following days I will be able to know the damage extension. I will also be seeking for your opinions and thoughts.

I thank you all.

Dimitris