the most important bike in worlds history

Besides the obvious, I thought I read somewhere a pretty interesting story on this bike...something about it being bought for next to nothing (like 10 pounds or something) as a barn find, by the previous owner who (I assume) restored it to it's current state prior to going on loan.

Sound familiar at all?

This bike is unrestored and complete with the minor accident damage

• Replies 62
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I see no indication of an accident, macguzzi.

Were they THAT well built? Amazing if true.

Also, a tough choice to argue against. Stunning...

I believe the accident caused minimal damage to the bike (he went into a ditch/hedge ?), but Lawrence hit his head and died in hospital several days later.

I read once that the Dr that treated him was so upset about the loss of Lawrence that he set in motion events that led to helmets becoming law in the UK many years later!!

There is a rumour that Lawrence was killed by the secret service, it is claimed that the bike was returned to Brough after the accident and he found black paint marks on the front mudguard that did not match anything at the scene but was the type used on the government issue cars !

who knows for sure ?

The problem with Lawrence is that he had owned several Broughs (I think he had SS80's as well as SS100's)and I suspect due to his fame many of these became valuable overnight and of course many people made money selling "the bike Lawrence died on" some may have indeed have been owned by him but most would not !!

I see no indication of an accident, macguzzi.

Were they THAT well built? Amazing if true.

Also, a tough choice to argue against. Stunning...

I believe the accident caused minimal damage to the bike (he went into a ditch/hedge ?), but Lawrence hit his head and died in hospital several days later.

I read once that the Dr that treated him was so upset about the loss of Lawrence that he set in motion events that led to helmets becoming law in the UK many years later!!

There is a rumour that Lawrence was killed by the secret service, it is claimed that the bike was returned to Brough after the accident and he found black paint marks on the front mudguard that did not match anything at the scene but was the type used on the government issue cars !

who knows for sure ?

The problem with Lawrence is that he had owned several Broughs (I think he had SS80's as well as SS100's)and I suspect due to his fame many of these became valuable overnight and of course many people made money selling "the bike Lawrence died on" some may have indeed have been owned by him but most would not !!

being a T.E fan I would have to agree with the posts I had the pleasure of travelling up the Hijaz railway from Medina to Medain Salah an amazing place full of ghosts. The wrecked trains are still out there I have a well documented photographic record of the places on the Hijaz. i won't say what I was doing there but nothing has changed and I don't mean that in a physical sense.

• 2 weeks later...

I guess everybody has personal views about what bikes are coolest, most important, etc...

so, in my own little world, a few bikes do occupy the top spots. here are three of them.

rc30_top.jpg

the first really dedicated sport bike I rode, not a street bike with stickers, no, a real racebike with lights and indicators.

ducati_851_1989.jpg

I have experienced two different motorbikes periods. One before i rode a 851, and the one after...(ok, after there are a few sub periods ;))

ndj_1084482024_supertwin.jpg

see a pattern somewhere ? ;)

gotta be the honda cub 50.

most important - it changed motorcycling form a fringe group to something that appealed to and was attainable by the masses.

coolest - well the million+ people that bought them thought they were cool. Even if we don't.

strongest - did you see the TV show where they ran the thing hard with only used deep frier oil in the case, then dropped it off a 3 story building. Still ran. Defy any other bike to do this.

most well know - does anyone not know what one is?? I would doubt that there is a more well known bike ever.

Honda 50 w/ step thru frame. The sheer #'s guarantee it actually wins in all categories since adjectives like "coolest" and "blood thrilling" are subjective and certainly have been applied to this bike more than any other. Put 5 people on one of these and ride down a muddy back road in Indonesia - oh heck - make it at night.

Norton 750 and maybe even a Kaw 500 are other ones that come to mind.

Bob

I have to say a close tie between the Britten and the Guzzi V8, same statement for both - it was just so advanced and complex for its time, a true engineering marvel in its day and even today.

my top 3 of the younger generation have to be the Hayabusa, Vmax, and the R1 not very special or old but they are wayyy up there for every category, most iconic of my generation is easily the 916