Portaferry, Ards Peninsula shore road

belfastguzzi

post-890-1231372473.png

Click here for > Video of the shore road at Portaferry, County Down, Northern Ireland

If everything is operating fast enough, so that the download option works for you: to see a decent picture in YouTube, click on 'watch in high quality' – bottom right under the video picture.

Portaferry – Moto Guzzi rally base

This is the area where our May 2009 V11 UK meeting, (Ulster Rally), will be based.

On the video, the main accommodation at Barholm can be glimpsed, opposite the ferry pier.

Map of the video ride route.

post-890-1231345532.jpg

The green line shows the road, The scale bars to the left show 1 mile / 2 km

Other versions:

EDIT 1 The video picture looks better here. It's a smaller pic and higher quality though it takes a minute or two to download.

EDIT 2 – BEST VERSIONS

These versions now on YouTube are better because they are edited shorter.

Split into 2 videos here:

Part 1

Part 2

Lough_Shore_Bar_Hall.jpgStrangford.gif

That looks great,David,and the bike sounds mighty fine too! Is it May yet?

There will soon be less than 130 days until the date :sun:

Lough_Shore_Rd.png

I have tried to get better quality video on to Youtube. It would make a big difference.

I split the video into two parts and edited them down to be shorter.

For a start, they are better for being shorter.

But the final quality when uploaded is still not good.

Somebody must have better experience, as there are better looking videos on YouTube?

I originally compressed the video to 640 x 480 as YouTube recommend. I kept it at 25fps but but reduced the compression quality (more compression) as it was a long video.

It looked ok when exported, but looked poor when uploaded.

The latest upload is reduced to 320 x 240 and frame rate is dropped to 15fps to make a smaller file

Compression is H.264

Quality is Best (maximum) rather than reduced

When exported, the quality looks fine, though the reduced frame rate is apparent.

However, when uploaded to YouTube the quality is poor (blocky) again.

Perhaps it's because I reduced the dimensions to 320x240 and YouTube has upsized it?

~Help requested~

Can anyone advise?

if you had a .mac account you can host a larger file there and it doesn't have to be compressed as much. OR maybe you should try google videos?

I had the same problem with photobucket as a host.

th_DuluthWorldCupTT.jpg

who is your internet provider? they might have storage space you can use instead of you tube.

if you had a .mac account you can host a larger file there and it doesn't have to be compressed as much. OR maybe you should try google videos?

I had the same problem with photobucket as a host.

who is your internet provider? they might have storage space you can use instead of you tube.

The action is that trials video above is quite astounding!

Thanks fotoguzzi. I had been wondering what settings you used for your snowy video.

I put a link in the first post here to a version of my video that is on a Mac site. The copies that I have there all look good when viewed. The problem is just that they are slow to download. I think that short clips would be ok, rather than 8 or 10 minute epics!

http://web.me.com/davidboyd1/Black_Guzzi_-..._road_ride.html

Google Videos doesn't look any better, in fact I thought that they had downsampled the video even more. I have also had trouble uploading to Google. Mostly, the process has just gone on forever and not resulted in an upload.

Google version: http://video.google.co.uk/videoplay?docid=...349258376577349

YouTube is good because of the links that it creates to similar videos, so that's why I want to persevere and find how to get a decent quality picture on there. I'm about to upload a version that is sized at 640 x 480 and I reckon that will give an improvement now, though it would be best to go back up to 25 frames p.s. as well. We'll see.

Thanks again.

AAAAAAARRRRGGGH!!!!

The last effort didn't look much better, BUT I've realised that I needn't have bothered trying all the different settings. I now see that in YouTube, at the bottom right under the video picture, it says 'watch in high quality'. I clicked on it – and the video appeared in high quality! So the first versions have been ok all along! Groan

I wish they made the good quality view as the default, with the option to select the poor quality picture if necessary.

(Edit. The video with smaller dimensions doesn't have the high quality option.)

Here endeth the lesson.

South_Down_pic.jpg

More on this area: Northern Ireland – County Down coast.

There are more pictures of this general area in the previous thread in this forum

and on a web gallery here.

( 'Ulster Rally' site: moto.belfastguzzi.com/picturesandvideo )

by my snowy video did you mean the icycle derby?

I exported from Imovie and selected "for the web" and the mac calculated the size, that made it about 14MB size and was a pretty fast to upload to you tube, I think it has a little better quality than photobucket.

so I didn't have to think about the size of compression at all w/you tube.

by my snowy video did you mean the icycle derby?

I exported from Imovie and selected "for the web" and the mac calculated the size, that made it about 14MB size and was a pretty fast to upload to you tube, I think it has a little better quality than photobucket.

so I didn't have to think about the size of compression at all w/you tube.

Thanks again FG and yes, I meant the Icycle Derby. Is that an older version of iMovie? I think there used to be that option, then it changed. In version 6 the 'web' option exports directly to iWeb. The settings there are lower than those I used. They're 12 frames per second, 320 x 240 and medium quality sound.

I haven't used the newer, different Version 7, though now that there has been time to develop it, the brand new V7 upgrade, just announced, looks really good.

It may not be the complete answer, but most of my problem was because I didn't realise that when a video at higher quality settings is uploaded to YouTube, it presents the video at a lower quality and the viewer has to to select the better quality picture. I was uploading the video and it appeared blocky, so I tried different settings – and it always looked the same, until I realised what was happening. The unfortunate thing is that I imagine a lot of people will only see the lower quality YouTube version.