Speaking only as a West Coast Yank, anyplace with "shire" in the name seems de facto only fit for little folk with hairy feet, what?

Hobbits they 'aint. :D

Seem to see a few Shrek look alikes about though - plenty of big rough types. They tell me blokes can be even bigger. :P

I think Ogri from Bike magazine was probably a good example

ogri.jpg

• Replies 48
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

John, did you know they only bulldozed the Panther factory building a few weeks back in Clecky?

I know Scotts were built in Saltaire- do you know if the original building in still standing?

I just got a book on classic british bikes and cars (birthday present) and was by chance reading about the Panther last night, I didn't realise that production only stopped because they couldn't get a couple of the components anymore (I assume because the rest of the british bike industry and the supply companies had gone).

Years ago I was told a story(by the riders grandson) about a Scott owner who used to take his dog with him on rides balanced on the tank, one day it started to rain and the bike lost power and died only to restart easily after the rider and passenger had got off.This happened several times more until the rider heard a hiss of air as the dog jumped off and realised that the dogs wet paw was sealing the air hole in the fuel cap !!

Oi!

'ow you got a photo of me in my in me Saturday night get up!!

Hx

'Cos Mr Guzzirider posts loads of them on the kniternet. You're famous.

Oi!

'ow you got a photo of me in my in me Saturday night get up!!

:grin::grin::grin:

Hx

Get your gigs on Helen! I've seen you and you would have to have at least another 30 years of professional tripe pie eating and the same time with your head in the ferret fighting bag before you could aspire to the loveliness of our Nora :wub:

I believe... folks do say... that if you venture further north than Yorkshire (can you imagine?) there are things more terrible yet and still more fearful.

Get your gigs on Helen! I've seen you and you would have to have at least another 30 years of professional tripe pie eating and the same time with your head in the ferret fighting bag before you could aspire to the loveliness of our Nora :wub:

Eee by gum Nora, what a role model!

My little ferrets may still only be trouser trainin' and I've a few more pies to go yet but god rest 'er soul our Nora.

It 'll take a good Yorkshire Lass to fill them stockings but Im up fo't challenge!!

Hx

:P:lol::bier:

Seem to see a few Shrek look alikes about though - plenty of big rough types. They tell me blokes can be even bigger. :P

I remember reading stories about the Lampkin brothers drinking competitors under the table, then going out the next morning and whoopin' them on the trials course :lol:

I wonder if they knew it was a Yorkshire outfit - the Cleckheaton Panther a real Thumper

Panther-M120-Outfit.jpg

Anyone know of any other Yorkshire bikes beside the howling Scott?

Scott%20Squirrel%201929_jpg.jpg

The UK Neracar was made by Sheffield-Simplex. Pre-WWI, every village blacksmith would have been a "manufacturer", buying frame and other cycle parts from Chater Lea, wheels from Rudge-Whitworth and engines from everyone from Werner Freres to that ghastly american Pennington. I think there were about 2,000 manufacturers listed at that time for England alone.

I just got a book on classic british bikes and cars (birthday present) and was by chance reading about the Panther last night, I didn't realise that production only stopped because they couldn't get a couple of the components anymore (I assume because the rest of the british bike industry and the supply companies had gone).

I had (and still have parts of) a 1966 120 de luxe 650. One of the very last to come out of the factory. In about 1974, I went there as I had been told that it was still in existance and still had parts. It was very sad to see the rotted-through Nissen hut stores with many brand new motorcycle bits disintegrating in the rain. The only stuff that was even faintly salvageable were heavy frame parts and iron castings.

I had (and still have parts of) a 1966 120 de luxe 650. One of the very last to come out of the factory. In about 1974, I went there as I had been told that it was still in existance and still had parts. It was very sad to see the rotted-through Nissen hut stores with many brand new motorcycle bits disintegrating in the rain. The only stuff that was even faintly salvageable were heavy frame parts and iron castings.

I remember Pride and Clarke having loads of those Panther outfits for sale new, it seemed they were relatively cheap at the time.

What a piss off, spares rotting away - equivalent to putting the torch through those E-type chrome wire wheels in the '70s :angry:

The Ner-a-car, didn't that have hub centre steering?

I remember Pride and Clarke having loads of those Panther outfits for sale new, it seemed they were relatively cheap at the time.

What a piss off, spares rotting away - equivalent to putting the torch through those E-type chrome wire wheels in the '70s :angry:

The Ner-a-car, didn't that have hub centre steering?

Mine was a P&C original - at least I assume so, as it was first registered in Clerkenwell, London. Canterbury Javelin double-adult sidecar. It was the last vehicle across the M62 one New Year's Eve before it was closed due to snow. I was slow because the wind had blown out the sidecar windows and I spent some time picking them up. I assumed the blue lights were due to that incident and the copper was really indignant that I had stopped when I saw them in the mirror.

Ner-a-car had quite a few innovations, including hcs.