V11 with Ohlins or Griso 1100?

rocketman

It's been a few years since posting on this board but I am entertaining getting another guzzi and need some advice. I have owned the standard v11 Lemans and a Norge. Both are now gone. I liked the v11 motor more than the Norge's 1200. What I didn't like about the standard lemans was the marz suspension. And, my wrists and neck can no longer tolerate the clipons so I'm leaning toward a 04 v11 Cafe Sport or Coppa Italia with the standard bars.

I'm seeing some good deals on these Ohlins sporting beauties lately ($6500-$7000 range). I also see used Grizo 1100's for around $8500. My hesitation about the Griso is the suspension. I have heard a mixture or comments from great to way too stiff. Does anyone have experience with the Ohlins v11 suspension versus the Griso 1100 suspension? Which is better? My guess is that the Ohlins is better. But I do love the looks of the Griso. Greg Field are you out there?

Thanks

• Replies 56
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

It's been a few years since posting on this board but I am entertaining getting another guzzi and need some advice. I have owned the standard v11 Lemans and a Norge. Both are now gone. I liked the v11 motor more than the Norge's 1200. What I didn't like about the standard lemans was the marz suspension. And, my wrists and neck can no longer tolerate the clipons so I'm leaning toward a 04 v11 Cafe Sport or Coppa Italia with the standard bars.

I'm seeing some good deals on these Ohlins sporting beauties lately ($6500-$7000 range). I also see used Grizo 1100's for around $8500. My hesitation about the Griso is the suspension. I have heard a mixture or comments from great to way too stiff. Does anyone have experience with the Ohlins v11 suspension versus the Griso 1100 suspension? Which is better? My guess is that the Ohlins is better. But I do love the looks of the Griso. Greg Field are you out there?

Thanks

I think the Griso has a more relaxed riding position so that would probably be a more comfortable ride than a v11. As for the suspension, there are lots of good aftermarket mods that you can do to either bike to make it suit you. For example Hyperpro makes very good replacement springs & shocks.

I faced a similar decision last year fall. A dealer nearby was blowing out the Griso 1100s, new, for under $9k. But I opted for a nice used '04 V11 Ballabio. It doesn't have the Ohlins but the bars are very comfortable. It was made even more comfortable by installing the Motobits foot controls which relaxed the seating position by moving the pegs a bit down and forward. It took some other dialing in -- and a set of Mistrals -- but now it is a very sweet bike and I have no regrets. Nothing wrong with the Griso 1100 but I really love the way this Ballabio feels in the twisties, and I never tire of its retro/modern good looks.

Nothing wrong with the Griso 1100 but I really love the way this NERO CORSA feels in the twisties, and I never tire of its retro/modern good looks.

Amen to that, Brother! (Pardon the artistic liberty taken with the "model exchange" in the paraphrasing of your quote :huh2: )

Greg is selling his Coppa Ductapio/Labia. One of the best you could want with Ohlins/ V11 fairing, Ballabio bars and a host of other stuff.

I'm completely sold on the Griso. Both the 1100 and the 1200 are superb. The Showa forks are within a spit of the Ohlins and the Sachs shock is more than adequate but I will, eventually, be looking for something else.

The only way to really make your mind up is to ride both. with the W5.9AM equipped bikes it is even more important to make sure that they have been set up properly by someone who understands how they work. Out of the box they can be very good, or horrid!

Pete

As an owner of both an 1100 griso and a v11 le mans I would say that the two are pretty different from a riding point of view. The griso is a lot more refined and a lot easier to live with but the rear shock is way too stiff even for my 16+ stones. The v11 is much more of an involved ride, maybe more rewarding and feels like it comes from a much earlier time, moreso than 5 years difference would suggest. I actually went to buy a Ballabio but came home with the Griso. Really glad I did but I can't tell you whether one is better than the other but if I could only keep one it would be the G. No question.

I think Lloyd67's analysis is spot on. I came to a different decision, but I think he is right in describing the choice. And maybe I would have liked the Griso more. I would say the v11 is not a do-everything bike. Not sure but maybe a Griso could be -- weekender, commuter, sport touring, etc. Depends on what you are looking for and what else might be in your garage. Also, I would say the v11 takes some sorting, typically, to knock down the vibes, etc. But once done, it is very rewarding in its own way.

Lloyd? Have you adjusted the suspension at all on the Griso? Ex factory the spring is set with way too much preload, (Collar adjustment.) and both the compression and rebound damping are fat too harsh. Wind the spring off 4 or 5mm and then play with the compression and rebound damping.

The forks too are adjusted too firm and their damping is stupid too. Get it right and the forks are brilliant and the shock more than adequate.

I too have both a Griso, (A 1200.) and a V11, (A Scura.) and think the Ohlins forks are better by a whisker but the rising rate linkage of the Griso makes up for the less versatile nature of the Sachs shock.

Just my :2c:

Pete

Good info you guys. I really appreciate it. I would use the bike for all of the above, day tripper, commuter, and some touring. According to Pete the key is setting up the Griso suspension properly. As I mentioned, I did have a v11 Lemans with the marz suspension so I know what to expect as for as the rest of the bike is concerned. I need to test ride the Griso. Prices are coming way down too. Thanks again.

Pete,

You are absolutely spot on with your comments on the suspension. I've continually softened up all the settings over the couple of years that I've owned the Griso but I've only adjusted the preload maybe half a turn on the rear. I've just kind of got used to it I suppose. Now I know that 5mm isn't unreasonable I'll do it as soon as possible. Why on earth does it come like that from the factory? After all I said about the two bikes, I'm riding to the Pyrenees from York in a couple of weeks time and I'll almost certainly take the Le mans.....it'll be more of a challenge.

Rod:

Get the Griso.

Saturday at the Deep Forest campout three of us (me on the Coppa Ductapio, Steve on a totally stock Griso, and Vance on his sorted Duc GT1000) went on a long ride in the twisties and traded off bikes. Of the three, the Griso is the best handling and easiest to ride fast. The griso rear suspension is far better than the V11 rear, even with the Ohlins on mine. The G.'s Showa fork is pretty darn good, way better than the Marzocchis on your old V11. The brakes on both the Duc and the G felt completely wooden, but that's 'cause I've been totally spoiled by hot-rodded brakes (RCS master cylinder, 4-pad calipers, wave rotors, etc.) on the Ductapio. I'm pretty sure I'm going to replace my V11 with a Griso in a month or so.

Thanks for weighing in on the topic Greg. I knew you would. When the new guzzis came out the Griso appealed to me most. But, reason and logic took over, and I bought the Norge. You know the story...not happy. Had trouble with the CARC and didn't care for the suspension and handling. Have the 07 Griso's had CARC failures?

After the Norge I got an FJR, sold it and now have a cruiser. The cruiser is hard on my back (had to get a backrest). I think I want to go back to the standard, feet underneath, upright bars, riding position. I think too that I get bored with my bikes and seem to want a different one every year. The Griso sounds like a big improvement over the v11's.

I had an '04 Sport and recently upgraded to a G12. I put on 300 miles yesterday with some super back roads in the Catskill Mountains. The G12 is very easy to ride fast with a stiff suspension as found from the factory. It is also super comfortable with a great seat and riding position. After a full day in the saddle the only thing sore was my quads from weighting the pegs over hill and dale.

Greg is right about the brakes, a M/C transplant would go a long way. I disturbed three deer sleeping in the tall grass by the roadside and one jumped into the center of the road. I pinned the brakes and aimed for his ass and he skeedaddled. The G12 tracked beautifully and I felt in complete control, ready for evasive action. I think the sit up riding position really adds confidence as your weight is so well balanced.

I think the bike is balanced better on it's upgraded suspension. With the genny on top of the block and the long swingarm our favorite tractor motor is centered in the frame and the too small gas tank battery, ect. are centered as well.

This bike is not the same revolutionary change that the spine frames were compared to the Tontis but it is a change...

DW

graveyard2.jpg

I had an '04 Sport and recently upgraded to a G12..... The G12 is very easy to ride fast ...I think the sit up riding position really adds confidence as your weight is so well balanced...

Well I dunno what you mean by fast, & I only had a brief ride on BFG's Griso (same model I think?) but I found it hard to hang on hung up in the breeze like that. I find V11 riding position much better for fast. V11 is heavy on rear & it may well be that Griso is better balanced front/rear or it wouldn't be able to carry off such an exposed riding position so well at higher speeds. I'd like to try a Griso with clip-ons. I agree that back end design on new models is light years ahead of V11 for feel & compliance though I found shock itself crude on Griso compared with Ohlins, & I don't feel it was just down to adjustment. Griso motor revved easier, much smoother but less characterful than V11 - more Japanese. I'm sure Griso makes more power & torque than V11 but V11(Ti kit/PC111/K&N) motor felt more gutsy, more visceral....probably just down to inconsistent delivery & loud pipes!

KB :sun:

Well I dunno what you mean by fast, & I only had a brief ride on BFG's Griso (same model I think?) but I found it hard to hang on hung up in the breeze like that. I find V11 riding position much better for fast. V11 is heavy on rear & it may well be that Griso is better balanced front/rear or it wouldn't be able to carry off such an exposed riding position so well at higher speeds. I'd like to try a Griso with clip-ons. I agree that back end design on new models is light years ahead of V11 for feel & compliance though I found shock itself crude on Griso compared with Ohlins, & I don't feel it was just down to adjustment. Griso motor revved easier, much smoother but less characterful than V11 - more Japanese. I'm sure Griso makes more power & torque than V11 but V11(Ti kit/PC111/K&N) motor felt more gutsy, more visceral....probably just down to inconsistent delivery & loud pipes!

KB :sun:

For fast read painfully slow, creeping around bends, terrified whenever I can't see far enough ahead.

I found my V11 to be very confidence inspiring. I enjoyed following faster riders and copying their lines. I'm not at that point with the Griso but I feel the potential as I did a bit of charging forward when conditions and confidence came together.

On the highway ride home I cruised at 75-80, passing slower traffic saw the speedo hit 85. I didn't really notice much buffeting and I wasn't really dressed for the part. I was wearing jeans and a jean jacket instead of my Joe Rocket ensemble. I kept thinking how amazingly comfortable the seat was after hours of riding...