V11 with Ohlins or Griso 1100?

rocketman

Interesting how people can see the same thing so differently.

I have a Griso 1100 and a red frame V11. The Griso is a more comfortable and more refined feeling bike that you can easly ride at a good clip. The V11 is a more hard edged, raw motorcycle that you can ride faster if you know what your doing.

The Griso does have more power stock, but our V11 has motor work that gives it a few hp more then the Griso.

If I had to get rid of one or the other the Griso would be the one to go, but I hope to keep both. But my shed is getting crowded.....

If I was buying one or the other, I would buy a V11. But the Griso is great, it just isn't the same as the V11 and to me the V11 speaks to me. The only other street legal Guzzi (in the US) I would want more is a Daytona....

• Replies 56
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Interesting the comments about the 8V feeling more refined and civilized. I find that mine is far more visceral and 'organic' than any stock V11 I've ridden. In a lot of ways it is very similar in *feel* to my Scura. I dunno? Perhaps it's the pipe but Dave has the same pipe? I consider mine to be fairly well tuned as far as one can tune something with the M5.9 'pooter and an O2 sensor but it not only has the cam-chain whine so hated by some but it also rattles and clanks a fair bit, I think this is largely to do with the uneven firing intervals and maybe the backlash in the dummy-shaft gear but it certainly isn't something that i concern myself about but I'd never describe it as 'Sophisticated' :lol: .

Having said that the 1100 Griso is both more sophisticated, smooth and anodyne than the V11. It is also actually less powerfull for although the motor is very nearly identical to the V11 lump it uses smaller throttle bodies and is considerably more strangled. I loved my 1100 Griso, it was my first brand new 'Quality' motorbike, but I like my 8V more. I realize I'm probably swimming against the tide here though.

Pete

Guest ratchethack
. . .I realize I'm probably swimming against the tide here though.

Say Pete

Just like here, I reckon there are more'n few swaggies in Oz who still do their drinking well upstream o' the jumbucks. ;)

Interesting the comments about the 8V feeling more refined and civilized. I find that mine is far more visceral and 'organic' than any stock V11 I've ridden. In a lot of ways it is very similar in *feel* to my Scura. I dunno? Perhaps it's the pipe but Dave has the same pipe? I consider mine to be fairly well tuned as far as one can tune something with the M5.9 'pooter and an O2 sensor but it not only has the cam-chain whine so hated by some but it also rattles and clanks a fair bit, I think this is largely to do with the uneven firing intervals and maybe the backlash in the dummy-shaft gear but it certainly isn't something that i concern myself about but I'd never describe it as 'Sophisticated' :lol: .

Having said that the 1100 Griso is both more sophisticated, smooth and anodyne than the V11. It is also actually less powerfull for although the motor is very nearly identical to the V11 lump it uses smaller throttle bodies and is considerably more strangled. I loved my 1100 Griso, it was my first brand new 'Quality' motorbike, but I like my 8V more. I realize I'm probably swimming against the tide here though.

Pete

I think you're right about the 8 valve being more raw and visceral. But I was refering to the Griso 1100 which is more relaxed and refined. The chassis of my Griso is also softer and less precise then the chassis on my wifes V11 and on a dyno my Griso 1100 has less power then my wifes V11 but only due to the motor work our V11 has. My Griso has more power then our V11 had to start with. I probably would haved prefered to have an 8 valve Griso but it didn't even exist when I gought my Griso. I really wanted the prototype with the 8 valve motor and in some ways the new 8 valve is that and more. But for me it is too late, I can't justify another Griso and I'm not good at selling bikes. Better at buying.

The Griso is a more comfortable and more refined feeling bike that you can easly ride at a good clip. The V11 is a more hard edged, raw motorcycle that you can ride faster if you know what your doing.

That really sums the two up perfectly. I prefer to ride the V11 when I've got my 'proper motorcyclist' head on. It gives you the sensation that you've got to be sure about what you're doing and you can't let your mind wander too far from wrestling the iron pig into submission. Whereas the Griso just makes you want to wring it's neck and laugh 'til your ears bleed. I always get off the v11 satisfied and happy but I always want to keep on riding the Griso and feel invigorated when I do get off it. Does that make any sense or have I had too much coffee?

Right, I'm off to get the mk1 out for a much needed reality check.....Now, there's visceral....

Lloyd,

I like your comments about the riding experience on both bikes. Quite helpful. I also want to be able to kick back and ride slow at times. Something that owning a cruiser has given me an appreciation for. My hope is the Griso is capable of kick back, smell the roses riding. One of the problems in riding a sport bike, everything is a frigging racetrack, and the bike is just laughing at you unless you are wringing it's neck. My V11Lemans wasn't comfy unless going 70 - 90. Slow speeds were killer with those clip-ons. I want a standard style bike that is happy doing both. I don't know if the Griso is that bike.

Lloyd,

I like your comments about the riding experience on both bikes. Quite helpful. I also want to be able to kick back and ride slow at times. Something that owning a cruiser has given me an appreciation for. My hope is the Griso is capable of kick back, smell the roses riding. One of the problems in riding a sport bike, everything is a frigging racetrack, and the bike is just laughing at you unless you are wringing it's neck. My V11Lemans wasn't comfy unless going 70 - 90. Slow speeds were killer with those clip-ons. I want a standard style bike that is happy doing both. I don't know if the Griso is that bike.

They are. Fit a screen and you can even cruise at grossly illegal speeds with no effort and after you've set up the suspension it will outhandle many 'superior' machines. It has got a very long wheelbase but the wide bars make it easy to fling around.

Pete

They are. Fit a screen and you can even cruise at grossly illegal speeds with no effort and after you've set up the suspension it will outhandle many 'superior' machines. It has got a very long wheelbase but the wide bars make it easy to fling around.

Pete

That's what I wanted to know. Thanks Pete

The Griso I rode this weekend had a Givi 760 flyscreen, and I was going way over 100 mph and not feeling at all like I was going to be sucked off the back of the bike. It doesn't take much to meaningfully remove the pressure off of the rider's chest. The Givi looks good, too. If I get one, I'm going to make my own frame-mounted cross between a dolphin and dustbin fairing.

Screen will help windblast at high speeds, but with high bars you can't comfortably get your weight forward over the front in corners. Riding twisties fast, I have to ride the front, get front as planted as possible in every corner. I don't like the remote feeling from the front with high bars. But my bike is just a toy really, I rarely do anything other than ride it in the twisties on sunny days & V11 clip on position is a good compromise. I guess it's all compromises when you want a bike to do both ends of the spectrum - cruising & scratching. Like Rocketman said, high bars encourage sitting back & enjoying the view, clip-ons encourage fast. I always remember Guzzirider when he had a Harley saying something along the lines of "I wanted a cruiser to enjoy riding slower but I was always riding it too fast so I sold it". Guess a trailer following with a selection of bikes would be an answer.

KB :sun:

Screen will help windblast at high speeds, but with high bars you can't comfortably get your weight forward over the front in corners. Riding twisties fast, I have to ride the front, get front as planted as possible in every corner. I don't like the remote feeling from the front with high bars. But my bike is just a toy really, I rarely do anything other than ride it in the twisties on sunny days & V11 clip on position is a good compromise. I guess it's all compromises when you want a bike to do both ends of the spectrum - cruising & scratching. Like Rocketman said, high bars encourage sitting back & enjoying the view, clip-ons encourage fast. I always remember Guzzirider when he had a Harley saying something along the lines of "I wanted a cruiser to enjoy riding slower but I was always riding it too fast so I sold it". Guess a trailer following with a selection of bikes would be an answer.

KB :sun:

Dunno Keith, I've never been fond of Clip-ons and rearsets and have never really owned a bike with them for long. Probably because I'm not much of a rider and I'm also a great fat f@ck I've always found I can get along just as well on something that is more upright. One of the reasons I bought my Scura was because it had risers rather than the clip-ons and I still managed to fling that away completely un-neccessarily in New Mexico! :D:rolleyes: .

If I really wanted a SERIOUS headbanging 'Racer with lights' for the road I'd have an RGV. I can see my licence and my ability to breathe being seriously compromised by such a purchase.

Yes, if I didn't drink, didn't smoke and had lived a blameless life of the upmost moral rectitude I'm sure I could probably ride something with clip-ons and rearsets and stride like a Collossus (Sp?) through the tide of turd-burglars and racetrack wannabees I come across. Thing is I do do all of the above and my morals have never been particularly rectitudinous so I expect I'm condemned to continue as some sort of bloated Marrie Celleste forever roaming the roads of NSW irritating people and collecting speeding fines :D:D:D (And giving the wannabees a bit of a nudge from time to time.)

Pete

...If I really wanted a SERIOUS headbanging 'Racer with lights' for the road I'd have an RGV. I can see my licence and my ability to breathe being seriously compromised by such a purchase....I'm condemned to continue as some sort of bloated Marrie Celleste forever roaming the roads of NSW irritating people and collecting speeding fines :D:D:D (And giving the wannabees a bit of a nudge from time to time.)...

:D Each to his own, Pete! I keep noticing the prices on Aprilia RS250's - seem v cheap to me... :unsure: ...but life could get far too frazzled for an old man on one of them...I love Guzzis & have done since first time I rode a Tonti LM: when I came to buy a new bike in 03 I looked at loads of stuff - T595, TL1000S, Firestorm, RSV, GSXR etc but when in the midst of so much splendour I sat on a V11 I couldn't help a big grin come over my face! It felt just sooo much like my Tontis. So I bought the Scura. It's far & away not the easiest tool for the way I ride most times, but fact is it keeps things sane & I just love Guzzis. Years back on a 350LC I noticed wherever you went someone'd wanna race - the great thing about Guzzis is no-one expects them, so life can be all round a bit more peaceable.

Is there that much difference between the 1100 & 1200 Grisos? Are they not both 8 valves? I dunno which one is BFG's?

Take it easy ol' bean. Keith :sun:

I also want to be able to kick back and ride slow at times. Something that owning a cruiser has given me an appreciation for. My hope is the Griso is capable of kick back, smell the roses riding. One of the problems in riding a sport bike, everything is a frigging racetrack, and the bike is just laughing at you unless you are wringing it's neck. My V11Lemans wasn't comfy unless going 70 - 90. Slow speeds were killer with those clip-ons. I want a standard style bike that is happy doing both. I don't know if the Griso is that bike.

Check out Greg's V11 with the Ballabio bars and motobits foot controls. I have the same setup on my LM and I'm completely comfortable putting around like it's a cruiser/Harley. The LM fairing is not as effective at high speeds as it was with the clipons, but the wider and taller bars do improve low speed riding.

the great thing about Guzzis is no-one expects them, so life can be all round a bit more peaceable.

So what you're saying is that Guzzis are the Spanish Inquisition of motorcycles?

:grin: