Guzzichondria

cola

... not a typical massed produced Honda designed by committees of bean counters but one designed by race engineers...

Couldn't all Guzzi production since the 1100Sport be regarded as the former?

KB :sun:

• Replies 56
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

I've given up waiting on the spring to arrive.

Tine to tear off the gearbox cover and do a belfastguzzi running repair. I decided to do it myself as the bike is in a warm garage and I'm sure it's a skill that will come in handy, one day miles from anywhere. :mg:

So after splurging £50 on tools & fluids ( I decided to do an oil change as it was close to mileage, my circlip pliers were lost years ago, I reckoned a set of ball end allen keys would really help, and those rachet spanners / wrenchs looked really good and .... get me away from the shiny things...) off came the cover.

Sure enough it is a sproinged spring. Boss is 16.2mm, spring ID is 17.2mm. I can't find the end of the spring - should I be worried?

MG-shiftSpring.jpg

PS Motomecca are getting me the spring - anyone one know of a UK shop that actually has some?

....PS Motomecca are getting me the spring - anyone one know of a UK shop that actually has some?

If you want, pm me an address & I can send you my spare spring. You can send me replacement when it comes. If you want it, reply by tomorrow am cos I have no internet for a week thereafter.

You read threads re this issue? You'll need smaller post or next spring will also break. Can you turn yours down?

KB

A machine contains the effort of the people who designed & built it. Their character is present in it's. ...

Have you ever tried out one of their instruments? Perhaps this is a good comparison. The instruments they build are more or less perfect, at least very well done. The point is, they are all equal to each other. You have to take what they offer. It makes no sense to try choosing between 5 examples of the same type, they respond and sound all in the same way. Try out some of equally well done european make and you'll immediately feel or sense the difference. Good instruments answer to you. The Japanese ones basically do that also, the problem is you have to like this single story they can tell. If you don't you can't become friends, they won't learn your language.

About Pirsig: he wrote this book in the early 70ies, didn't he? I read it in the early 80ies and can remember a certain fascination I felt then. This memory was what made me buy it 2005 when I had 6 weeks off time and read it again. This time it was a real boring experience. Interesting, obviously another example that every thing has its time. Coming before its time people won't accept it, coming after its time people will reject it. BTW, this book never was motorcycle literature.

Hubert

...The japanese do so as well, the problem is you have to like this single story they can tell. If you don't you can't become friends, they won't learn your language....

&....that every thing has its time. Coming before its time people won't accept it, coming after its time people will reject it. BTW, this book never was motorcycle literature.

Hubert

:thumbsup: Good story about the instruments. Not better just different?

& Yes, everything has it's time. Any book talks to the individual at his time. But I think we only recognise & understand something if it is an explanation for something we already have in our experience.

KB :sun:

cola-had panic attack and ordered a spring from motomecca last week-he had 2 in stock at the time! where in uk are you? can have mine if stuck(not sure I could fit it but makes me feel better have it under the seat) :rolleyes:

I'm guessing it was a Velvet Underground fan said that?

I got bored half way thru & put it down. Did the second half of the book contained some extraordinary revelation?

I thought I felt & understood what Pirsig was getting at, but found his writing laboured & repetetive. Other books address similar issues in (for me) a more concise & involving manner. Trustee From The Toolroom by Nevil Shute is a favourite of mine.

If it is not already in you can you gain it from literature? Does any art just bring into focus something we all already (maybe unwittingly) posess?

All I'm saying is there's more than one way to skin a cat.

KB sun.gif

It's a matter of taste............ To me champagne tastes like Perrier & Alka Selzer.

cola-had panic attack and ordered a spring from motomecca last week-he had 2 in stock at the time! where in uk are you? can have mine if stuck(not sure I could fit it but makes me feel better have it under the seat) :rolleyes:

Thanks for the offers - I clearly need to chase Motomecca. Last time I called they were waiting for the springs to come in. I've also ordered a new pawl arm - hopefully with the right boss diameter, maybe that's the delay. :mg:

If it's still 16mm at least I have one to get machined - I tried filing my current one but gave up after half an hour :rolleyes: The 'reprofiled' spring (OK bodged!) doesn't look to be coil bound and the bike selects gears, so it'll do for a couple of months at least.

Oh - I also found the end of the spring :thumbsup:

It's not too bad a job to do, in the dry, with beer on tap, and the family away and nothing else needing doing. I wonder where it will break next?

Cheers for the offers for help!

. . . I wonder where it will break next? . . .

I can't believe you said that. I hope your V11 can't hear you typing.

I hope my V11 can't hear you typing!:rolleyes:

Docc,

Did you hop on this site the second you got off your bike ?

Well, OK, 20 minutes. The GPS said I had 6 hours in the saddle today. Pretty cool to meet up with a couple other spine frames and rip some backroads. Even if it was 100F/40C.

I suppose my rear drive inner seal still needs some attention, but it looks like the big outer is holding. My greatest aggravation today was the GarminZUMO acts like it may need some "reconditioning." (Not quite three years old).

Once again, amazing how this site can bring Guzzis together!:bier:

Well, OK, 20 minutes. The GPS said I had 6 hours in the saddle today. Pretty cool to meet up with a couple other spine frames and rip some backroads. Even if it was 100F/40C.

I suppose my rear drive inner seal still needs some attention, but it looks like the big outer is holding. My greatest aggravation today was the GarminZUMO acts like it may need some "reconditioning." (Not quite three years old).

Once again, amazing how this site can bring Guzzis together!:bier:

Sorry to hear that with your Zumo. Mine acted up at one point, but it is fine now. I thought I pulled the battery or something to reset it. You may be able to update the firmware from Garmin.

I can't believe you said that. I hope your V11 can't hear you typing.

I hope my V11 can't hear you typing!:rolleyes:

:grin:

Just to add potential to the Murphy field, the gearchange seemed really sweet when I took the bike out earlier - of course that might have been because I added some grease to the pivot :mg:

Still it's nice to achieve something while getting my habnds dirty :luigi:

Cheers! :bier:

Rode 650 km's up to Lapland today. The engine purrs fine after the last TB sync using the Micha method, getting 5,9 liters/100 km, riding 130-140 km/h. All should be well,BUT:

As a devout Guzzichondriac, I began to hear a new sound, a yawling or whine, from the rear. I have just changed the rear trans oil and added some moly, as I do every 5-6000 km's, so it shouldn't be the rear transmisssion. One hears it at speeds from 75-90 km/h. The only thing I can think of is rear wheel bearings. I had to change them some 12 000 km's ago, so if it's that,my RM really eats it's bearings at an alarming rate.

Or is it that the Michelin Pilot Sport is a really loud tyre when getting worn? Anyways, I can't just overlook the possibility of a worn out wheel bearing. Why does it always have to happen when I'm up here in Lapland where spare parts don't exactly grow abudantly in trees!

Of course I could ride back south keeping my speed over 140 because then I can't hear the strange noise :bbblll:

As a devout Guzzichondriac, I began to hear a new sound

I used to worry about nearly every single sound on a bike (not just the guzzi). Now i wear earplugs when out on the bike and all is well :bike: