Guzzichondria

cola

Rode 650 km's up to Lapland today. The engine purrs fine after the last TB sync using the Micha method, getting 5,9 liters/100 km, riding 130-140 km/h. All should be well,BUT:

As a devout Guzzichondriac, I began to hear a new sound, a yawling or whine, from the rear. I have just changed the rear trans oil and added some moly, as I do every 5-6000 km's, so it shouldn't be the rear transmisssion. One hears it at speeds from 75-90 km/h. The only thing I can think of is rear wheel bearings. I had to change them some 12 000 km's ago, so if it's that,my RM really eats it's bearings at an alarming rate.

Or is it that the Michelin Pilot Sport is a really loud tyre when getting worn? Anyways, I can't just overlook the possibility of a worn out wheel bearing. Why does it always have to happen when I'm up here in Lapland where spare parts don't exactly grow abudantly in trees!

Of course I could ride back south keeping my speed over 140 because then I can't hear the strange noise :bbblll:

There is a thread about this somewhere, it may be the spacer between the bearings is too short.

• Replies 56
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Rode 650 km's up to Lapland today. The engine purrs fine after the last TB sync using the Micha method, getting 5,9 liters/100 km, riding 130-140 km/h. All should be well,BUT:

As a devout Guzzichondriac, I began to hear a new sound, a yawling or whine, from the rear. I have just changed the rear trans oil and added some moly, as I do every 5-6000 km's, so it shouldn't be the rear transmisssion. One hears it at speeds from 75-90 km/h. The only thing I can think of is rear wheel bearings. I had to change them some 12 000 km's ago, so if it's that,my RM really eats it's bearings at an alarming rate.

Or is it that the Michelin Pilot Sport is a really loud tyre when getting worn? Anyways, I can't just overlook the possibility of a worn out wheel bearing. Why does it always have to happen when I'm up here in Lapland where spare parts don't exactly grow abudantly in trees!

Of course I could ride back south keeping my speed over 140 because then I can't hear the strange noise :bbblll:

There is a thread about this somewhere, it may be the spacer between the bearings is too short.

That's just what I thought, too. I'll have to contend with new bearings for time being and delve into the spacer lenght come next winter. I just found a mechanic with a mc lift, so things are going forward.

... it may be the spacer between the bearings is too short...That's just what I thought, too. I'll have to contend with new bearings for time being and delve into the spacer lenght come next winter. I just found a mechanic with a mc lift, so things are going forward.

If spacer is too short & you torque up axle you will misalign inner race to outer, & bearings can be gone in first few yards. Check it! KB :sun:

... it may be the spacer between the bearings is too short...That's just what I thought, too. I'll have to contend with new bearings for time being and delve into the spacer lenght come next winter. I just found a mechanic with a mc lift, so things are going forward.

If spacer is too short & you torque up axle you will misalign inner race to outer, & bearings can be gone in first few yards. Check it! KB :sun:

And that was lesson number 2: Always check the axle torque after you've had the rear wheel changed by someone else! The guy who changed it the last time must've had at least two meters' extension over the wrench, judging by the tightness. Maybe he was more used to heavy rigs.... The axle was almost jammed solid and took some time to knock loose. No wonder the bearing was singing, even I would scream in a likely situation.

That was the first and last time I buy a tire from THAT shop.

I just finished a 4900 km ride around Europe with my 1997 bike (odo is now 78450 kms). Only problem was a crappy clutch wire from Stein-Dinse broke (just a couple of strands left) after just 1000 kms or so of service (it replaced a similar one that broke in the same way). I replaced it with a spare OEM one. I think it's the first time I had use of any spare parts carried (except for spark plug and spark plug cap - never leave home on a Guzzi without those!)

• 2 weeks later...

...(except for spark plug and spark plug cap - never leave home on a Guzzi without those!)

Amen, brother!

Oh no I don't have a spare ... :helmet:

• 3 months later...

Hi All,

I'm a bit of a lurker here. I've had a 2002 V11 Lemans since March last year - bought as NOS with 8 miles on the clock, now up to 5000+ mainly because work keeps us apart :rolleyes:

3415154604_bab5c0fd41_b.jpg

I recently read about Guzzichondria where you start to worry about all the things that could be wrong :luigi:

I use the bike a bit over winter but not much. Come spring this year the battery had lost its charge, so I quickly gave it a blast with my car's (old) charger. That got the bike started but it wasn't holding charge - clearly a bad charging circuit, so I take the tank off, battery out, battery tray out etc. etc. clean-up all the contacts / earth points etc. and reassemble. Jump start the bike and go for a short run. When I get back the battery voltage is OK if not great (12.5v after a 2 hour wait). Try and start the bike - nothing. Ah-ha! clearly its the relays (although I had replaced the originals with the recommended 'good' ones). Swap them all back and .... nothing.

OK its not the relays - will it jump start? Yup no problem. OK so the battery must be a bit sulphated, time to get a proper bike battery charger / conditioner. So off to town to buy a nice new Optimate. Sure enough it diagnoses a weak battery so on overnight charge it goes.

Next morning dawns beautifully sunny so its battery back in and go for a ride - no joy on the battery ar$e! Oh well jump start the bike and go for a short ride to empty the tank so I can pull everything apart again. 5 miles from home the bike starts cutting out, will only run below 2000 rpm and that not reliably, eventually dies for good half a mile from home. Time to push!!!

Back in the garage I check the battery voltage - 12.4v WTF? SO I turn on the ignition and the fuel pump won't run (damn those relays!). Try the original ones again - same result. Now I think about checking the battery under load - 7v (hmmm that's not right ...)

The experienced of you will have already picked up that I used a crappy battery charger on a sealed for life battery. I now have a 12v lead acid battery that won't deliver more than about 1 amp :moon: . Time for an Odyssey PC545

Fit the battery, check voltages, vroom!!!!!!!!!!! Check voltages, 13.1v just off idle, rises to 13.8v and no further. Time for a ride!!

So I get about a mile from home and the oil pressure warning light comes on :homer: . Time for a push home... Check the oil, hmmm fine by the hand book, low based on the advice here. So I top it up, start the engine (battery is still working at least) and the oil light stays on eek. I'm getting quite quick at hitting the kill switch now.

Obviously it's the oil filter spinning off, or the oil pump drive has sheared, or etc. etc. So I came on here again and found the thread about oil pressure switch, don't get dirt in it, keep it dry. Back out to the bike - sure enough with just the ignition on the oil pressure light is flickering. Reading back a few lines you'll see that I cleaned up all the contacts on the bike with the tank off. Including lots of dirty, soapy water between the V just beside the crappy Oil Pressure switch. So I give the switch a tap and with great trepadation re-start the bike - no oil pressure light result!!!

So I'll get one of those ordered, now should I worry about the transmission spring? :D

Back to happier times ...

3990222254_78dce65305_b.jpg

Bump

I thought this might be a fun thread to revive over the winter

Cheers

Roy

• 3 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

I think we should have a theme song: Don't Worry, Be Happy , by Bobby McFerrin.

:whistle::thumbsup:

Found this thread a great prompt to put the battery charger on. Now planning next year's travels. :race:

A shameless plug for the South'n Spine Raid Seven in 2011 for those of you in the easternish US.

Or others of you jetting in from exotic world wide destinations to squander the staggering win falls of internet forums.:drink:

I still owe three or four of you a beer.

Oh, yeah, you know who you are . . .:sun: