opinions needed on trade

DeBenGuzzi

I've been entertaining the sale of my Guzzi for about a month now on craiglist and someone offered me what looks like a pretty sweet trade, even money wise but could anyone fill me in more about this old eldo? the motor has been completely redone in 2003 but the bike itself is in original condition

would be this

http://minneapolis.craigslist.org/hnp/mcy/1848596714.html

for that

http://minneapolis.craigslist.org/ram/rvs/1857822770.html

good idea? bad idea? I'd like something I can tour on thats reliable and easy to work on, won't leave me stranded and parts are easy enough to come by, I worry this might not fit those bills, I had been all about the KTM SMT which is a very different bike but there is only one dealer, an hour away in the metro and the other bike I was thinking of a triumph rocket3 which is the other end of the spectrum or almost would be easy to live with also, but this eldo might be a nice bike for a good while until I can get something like those. I don't get how some people only like a certain kind of bike I like all kinds of bikes for different reasons, the KTM would be a great solo bike to own for around town and some light touring if I sold my RSVR, the rocket 3 would be a nice long haul machine to compliment my RSVR, I also like some BMW's and harleys but each has a wonderful turn me off to the brand crowd associated with them. you know what none of that is really important what do you think would it be a good or bad trade on my end?

The Craigslist entry was pulled, so either you did the deal or the Eldo is gone. Those were great old bikes, and Greg will probably insist you get it, but I think the electrics would sour you on this very soon - abysmal. If you are looking for a low-buck comfortable ride, get a BMW airhead.

The Craigslist entry was pulled, so either you did the deal or the Eldo is gone. Those were great old bikes, and Greg will probably insist you get it, but I think the electrics would sour you on this very soon - abysmal. If you are looking for a low-buck comfortable ride, get a BMW airhead.

good deal but those brakes are poor compared to anything you've had.. in my mind not a touring rig unless you switch out the front end for disc brakes. I know the trader will ove the new V11 but not sure you'll be happy w/an Eldo.. the price is right on it I think tho.

try this link,

http://minneapolis.craigslist.org/ram/mcy/1857985304.html

good deal but those brakes are poor compared to anything you've had.. in my mind not a touring rig unless you switch out the front end for disc brakes. I know the trader will ove the new V11 but not sure you'll be happy w/an Eldo.. the price is right on it I think tho.

try this link,

http://minneapolis.craigslist.org/ram/mcy/1857985304.html

fotoguzzi has the ad link, he said he had to redo something and just made a whole new one instead of editing it. good info tho

how hard/expensive is it to do a disc brake upgrade? I actually thought about that right away.

fotoguzzi has the ad link, he said he had to redo something and just made a whole new one instead of editing it. good info tho

how hard/expensive is it to do a disc brake upgrade? I actually thought about that right away.

never done it on a Loop but I might have a fork from a Convert, could it fit?

I'm really considering this trade as a good thing, ALWAYS loved the old eldo's the only thing I worry is the brakes but I'll be going slow anyway which I'm totally fine with, I want a bike I don't need to be in a hurry on. Might have to look into brake updates but maybe not if it works fine I don't blame to vroom screech the thing.

I'm really considering this trade as a good thing, ALWAYS loved the old eldo's the only thing I worry is the brakes but I'll be going slow anyway which I'm totally fine with, I want a bike I don't need to be in a hurry on. Might have to look into brake updates but maybe not if it works fine I don't blame to vroom screech the thing.

Drum brakes in good shape aren't that scary. They're just fine for the most part. Plus, they look waaay cooler and correct on the vintage bikes. Really, I'd consider going through them (new springs, clips and all-not just fresh shoes) and keeping them.

That is a cool old Guzzi, and if it is what you want then fine, go for it. But an old bike is not like a newer bike. It will likely require more time and effort to ride it and keep it running. But if you are willing to pay the price I think it could be really cool.

DeBen. Check yer PM's on the 'Prilla board.

pete

Ben, do you know about the Bearded Lady Motorcycle and Freak show tomorrow? leaving my house at 11:00am . got my #? 612 seven five oh 3331

Ben, do you know about the Bearded Lady Motorcycle and Freak show tomorrow? leaving my house at 11:00am . got my #? 612 seven five oh 3331

Ummm...ew.

Sounds like fun.

Ben, I've had an Eldo for years now. I've taken it on extended tours and used it as a daily commuter, so I do have a bit of experience on them. I love the Eldo- it is honestly my favorite bike. That said, and I haven't seen the ad, but it doesn't sound like a fair trade. Right now,v11s are ~$5k, Eldos are $3-4k.

Also- drum brakes work well if set up properly (Mark at MGClassics has the shoes). Disks can be made to work better, but require ~$1000 in parts. Dual disks are even more expensive. Convert and other fork tubes can be made to work, but involve a bit of engineering- not worth it.

The stock generator is weK, but Greg at MI sells (sold?) an alternator replacement that is the cat's meow.

Other than that... The frames flex quite a bit on hard corners, the motors are low power and you can cruise at 50-80 mph all day with a big sh@t eating grin. They are fun to drive.

Look around on the loop frame list (on yahoo) for a wealth on info from fanatics.

OK, read the ad. This may have been the first year of the 850 Eldorado, or else he put 850 jugs on a 750 - I do wonder why he had to do this when it only had 24K on it - unless it had the chromed liners and they were shot. I've also always loved these bikes, but Geez...it's like trading a newer 3 series BMW for a 2002. A classic, but this bike is going to be demanding. If you get it and can't find a good shop in the metro area, check out Ron at Judson Cycles in Lake Crystal. He cut his teeth on these, still has one, and won't give you the blank stares like the 20-something year old wrench you ask to work on it.

OK, read the ad. This may have been the first year of the 850 Eldorado, or else he put 850 jugs on a 750 - I do wonder why he had to do this when it only had 24K on it - unless it had the chromed liners and they were shot. I've also always loved these bikes, but Geez...it's like trading a newer 3 series BMW for a 2002. A classic, but this bike is going to be demanding. If you get it and can't find a good shop in the metro area, check out Ron at Judson Cycles in Lake Crystal. He cut his teeth on these, still has one, and won't give you the blank stares like the 20-something year old wrench you ask to work on it.

oh yea, Loops don't have oil filters, ask him how often the oil was changed.

Now I've read the ad. It's an Eldo- you can see the webbing on the block. All 750's (afaik) lacked the criss-cross webbing we are so familiar with and only had vertical webs. Early bikes (Ambo, Eldo) came with chrome bores and if it sits for any length of time, the chrome is prone to flaking. I would ask about that and also ask if the crankshaft sludge trap was cleaned out (since they don't have oil filters as fotoguzzi points out).

Hard to say what shape it is in from the pictures. But- they are fun bikes despite any 'drawbacks'. As I said, I really like them- but I agree that it would be a disadvantageous straight-up trade.