Suffocation by Guzziness

belfastguzzi

The Fear of Death by Guzzi Clique

I did wonder, when I posted my New Year topic in the Travel forum, if indignation would arise because I wasn't out on a Guzzi?

Firstly, I felt that I have posted enough pics of my Guzzis in various places, including in the Travel forum, to be allowed to show a day out that didn't involve an MG.

If I'd never posted before, then yes, it would be a bit odd and not 'the right thing'.

Secondly, I considered that we should acknowledge there is more to the experience of being out on a bike than the experience of the bike itself: it's about the place and what the machine enables you to experience, as well as what the particular machine itself is – and hence the raison d'etre of the Travel section.

Most of the other sections are specifically about the V.11 and its characteristics. The Travel forum allows a healthy view out, a window, an open door, fresh air.

I saw this new post as being in a context: as following on from my previous thread that marked the onset of winter, that ride which felt markedly like the first winter ride.

Now. I wanted to mark the first ride of the New Year and one of the first days where the sun appeared, in this new, early period of lengthening days. What does it matter which bike it was on? I'm not aware of other posts having been made about the New Year and even if there are some, this is still significant, as it's mine and from my place.

I'm using the 'New Year' Travel post, symbolically, or as a tool, to examine this subject. I'm not referring to the person who made the post reply/comment to me as it may have been a very light comment with no Great Guzzi Wrath behind it. So please don't take anything personal from this – it's the general subject, the topic, not the personal comment that I want to air. I've no problems with the poster at all at all at all.....

Comment:

Very nice photographs but.............................WHERE ARE THE GUZZIS?

huh

Then my reply:

As I said in the first post: 'Sorry, no Guzzi photos – it's about being out on a bike, at the start of the year...'

Travel and being out on the road to somewhere, through somewhere, doesn't always have to be on a Guzzi. I think this sub forum is more about the The Place and The Experience, rather than about having taken a Guzzi somewhere. This time I chose not to take the Guzzi, though almost all my other photos and topics here in this sub forum do feature my and others' MGs. There are times when other bikes do the job just as well or better, or just differently. Plus, the theme of my thread is about doing something different, for the New Year. There are also times when other riders provide a refreshing perspective and experience. I've no interest in being buried in a stultifying Guzzi clique. I can see plenty of that and I'll avoid it, or reduce the dose.

So, what's the subject?

Well, there are only so many photos of your Guzzi bike that you can take and show, before they start to get repetitive. The experience, the response, dulls. Variety is the spice of life, folks – and I don't want to demand that every motorcycling experience that we discuss or illustrate has always to refer back to some metal machine with a V11 badge on it, especially when the topic is the broad experience of 2-wheel travel, roads, places, people, views, thoughts, motivations. In the comment above, it's like: 'oh the experience is ok, but actually it's worthless to consider because there's no Moto Guzzi picture'. Following that, I have to add my own 'huh?'.

This topic is bubbling at the top of my head because...

I'm wondering, yet again, whether to renew an annual subscription to the Moto Guzzi Club GB, or not. We might like to think that Moto Guzzi owners are among the more enlightened of the two-wheeled fraternity, but I'd suggest that if 'a fellow' were to spend much time on certain and various **Guzzi Club forums, that fellow would come to the conclusion that he was dabbling in the arcane and being drawn into the time-warping tedium of an absurdist clique.

** not including this Forum, of course

I don't bother with the MGCGB forum any more- some really decent and helpful people on there, but also a few who talk constant garbage. I cringe when I think potential newcomers to the marque or club read some of the discussions.

I'm happy to continue with my club membership though- the magazine is good, I have met some good friends through MGCGB, and I enjoy the V Twin and Scottish Rally in particular.

And it is always healthy to have a non-Guzzi in the garage just in case ;)

..I'm wondering, yet again, whether to renew an annual subscription to the Moto Guzzi Club GB, or not. We might like to think that Moto Guzzi owners are among the more enlightened of the two-wheeled fraternity, but I'd suggest that if 'a fellow' were to spend much time on certain and various **Guzzi Club forums, that fellow would come to the conclusion that he was dabbling in the arcane and being drawn into the time-warping tedium of an absurdist clique.....

:grin:

BFG, You really need to ask this over in that place.

A fresh faced innocent has occasionally wandered in there, enthusiastically looking to pass the time of day with a jest & a chortle... . They disturb the cosy "ambience" of the place...eyebrows are raised, papers rustled there's the odd growl... They don't usually last long.

You should pop in some time, say hello.

I've met some fine people on a Guzzi, but can't help but think the ratio would probably be the same, whatever the bike. I agree with you that a good mix is healthy for all!

This forum suits me, seems to have a wide catchment area & seems a mixture of quite different views & experiences, thanks in the main to Jaap's way of running it I think, shame the traffic is so light. I used to like the attitude on Guzzi Exchange too.

KB :sun:

I gave up on the GB guzzi club a couple of years ago -allthough the magazine is plush I could get through the content in about 20 seconds and I just finally got bored with reading the same old self congratulating rubbish.I pretty much agree with guzzirider about their forum too ...often reminds me of what the Women's Institute meetings must be like !!!!!

I gave up on the GB guzzi club a couple of years ago...

Wonder how many of us out here, I've seen many others express pretty much the same sentiment. Or is it you're either a "club person" or you're not, whatever the club? KB

"you meet the nicest people on a honda" was a slogan used by a company whose name shouldn't be mentioned here.

Screenshot2011-01-01at25414PM.png

Could it be that this was not 100% correct? (No offence meant, it's just that the pic came handy and I had this idea once I saw it ;)) Anyway, with a Guzzi in the background the perception would have been different, somehow.

Maybe the words once were "You meet ... on two wheels" before they got hijacked. It's the same like "You meet ... walking a dog". The point is, in my eyes, those people don't really meet each other, they meet just another dogwalker and look at his dogs while they talk rubbish about rope rewinder springs and fodder can warmers and how much the vet actually takes, the bastard.

BTW, I think nobody said your pictures were not done well or not nice just because they were Guzziless. Maybe you're just a bit over-sensitive actually. The word "positive racism" comes to my mind here ;)

hubert

I have found that internet forums can be as bad as they can be good. Seems the human race has a percentage of members constantly seeking a medium to be something which they haven't the courage to be in person. Several forums that I have been on have been hijacked by such people, and become their little pond, in which they deem themselves the big frog in residence. This Guzzi forum is delightfully devoid of that, from what I have seen. Thanks to the folks involved here! I love anything with two wheels and a motor,(and beer and women and...) and my Moto Guzzi fits that bill, as do my several other bikes. This forum has added so much to my Guzzi ownership experience, answering so many questions. V11LeMans.com is certainly one of the best.

BTW, I think nobody said your pictures were not done well or not nice just because they were Guzziless. Maybe you're just a bit over-sensitive actually. The word "positive racism" comes to my mind here ;)

hubert

Sensitive, moi?! I do hope so.

No, I know that... the pictures were fine – but the post didn't have Guzzis, so what's it doing here in a Guzzi Forum? - was the implication that can be read

and as I say in this thread here, I'm just using that post as a reflection of the general topic of Guzzi Myopia, or Guzzi-sightedness, as I have perceived it. i'm not saying that the poster is myopic or attaching any personal significance. It's just a useful way into this topic, which has been in my awareness more and more in the past year.

:oldgit: – Also, I'm just trying to create some new conversation here, among the thoughtful faithful!

:rolleyes:

myopia

noun

nearsightedness.

• lack of imagination, foresight, or intellectual insight : historians have been censured for their myopia in treating modern science as a western phenomenon.

As it happens, I came across this, in a forum discussion about using original parts or pattern parts on old, original bikes (Triumph in this case). Yes, I glanced at a Triumph Forum. <_>

Perhaps you can see how it relates.

And although I love all this old iron regardless where it came from, it has no soul. It's iron, aluminum rubber, plastic, etc.

The soul, or the perceived soul resides within the people who love and appreciate them.

MMMh, I think a lack of alcohol is causing some neadless questioning? All forms have good and bad points - I like to think only about the good points - the useful points. The GB forum is OK for keeping up with generally what's going on and info on meetings if you fancy a few nights in a muddy UK field. It has a lot of rubbish, but news thrown in e.g. the 1200 forum probably closing. I have a V11, so find this site great for the technical info on keeping the bike in shape although it usually takes longer to find the info than do the job. Anything guzzi related is a bonus, and anything else may be a bonus too??

:huh2: Now i've forgot what the problem is? Was their one?

:huh2: Now i've forgot what the problem is? Was their one?

Guzzi forum.... there's always a problem! :luigi:

After founding the guzzi branch in Scotland in 1977 I too find most MGGB club members very cliquey been to a few events where they have been positivly rude don't have anything to do with the club anymore, the forum is full of anoraks

After founding the guzzi branch in Scotland in 1977 I too find most MGGB club members very cliquey been to a few events where they have been positivly rude don't have anything to do with the club anymore, the forum is full of anoraks

Just looking at the list of your Guzzis shows your allegiance to the marque. There must be something wrong when people as committed to Guzzi as you are feel so alienated from the recognised national club?

KB :sun: