V11 Suspension Replacement

cash1000

Hi from shakey Christchurch New Zealand - no damage to my home or work. Luckly they are not on the side of the city have has been hit.

I'm looking at upgrading front and rear suspension on my V11 RM.

I've been looking on Internet and can not find any manufacturer that has anything specific.

I've looked at Ohlins,WP,Wilbers,Maxton,Penske,Hyperpro,YSS,Progressive & Marzocchi.

I see from looking at this site several owners has used Ohlins & Maxton.

I would prefer not to have to get shock specially built as I think it would be more expensive and harder to setup for the V11.

There is a motorcycle shop here that is an agent for Ohlins & Racetech if I had to get something specially built.

Has anyone any suggestions what I should do?

A few years ago I swapped out the fork springs in my rosso mandello for some progressive springs from hyperpro. I got them from Todd E at GuzziTech. HyperPro makes, or used to make everything you would ever want as far as suspension goes for the v11. Check on the GuzziTech website and have a look around, if you need help email Todd Egan from the link on their site and he can probably get you exactly what you want. He hooked me up with my springs, and if I could afford it I would buy the hyperpro rear shock too.

Hey cash, glad you things are OK for you in Christchurch.

I went with Wilbers and am very happy with the improvement.

The premium shocks you listed all have their advantages especially over the stock unit. I believe the most important thing though is having whatever brand you choose set up properly so the decision may best be made by which brand is represented by a quality vendor that services your area. Proper springing and set up are at least as important as brand.

+1 with DanM that getting your springs set up for your weight is first and foremost.

Apparently, the Ohlins V11 shock is no longer available.

After all, the V11 is: soon-to-be-vintage . . . and . . . certain-to-escalate-in-value.

Look for mine (with its Ohlins shock!) at a Bonham's auction in your (or your grand children's) lifetime!:oldgit:

A custom built Maxton shock is expensive but still cheaper than most alternatives- around the £500 mark I think.

To get your forks converted by Maxton (they basically take out all the standard internals and fit their own higher quality parts) is about the same price- I have done this with both our Guzzis with decent results- compare that to the price of some Ohlins!

The only trouble is that if you are in a rush they may be a bit slow as the racing season is about to begin.

Cheers

Guy :helmet:

Hi, I got new progressive springs for my RM delivered to my door for $186 and I've recently had my rear shock revalved and a new suitable spring fitted along with advice on preload and dampening settings all for $400 by MPE suspension on the sunshine coast. They also did my DR650 shock, best money I've ever spent duim.gif

If you weigh less than 180 pounds like I do and think the suspension is too stiff and you're looking for a remedy for that the cheapest, easiest remedy is fork oil. Your bike probably needs a fork oil change anyway. If you switch to a 5wt high quality fork oil you'll be very surprised at the difference it makes in the way your bike handles the bumps. You'll also notice that the compression and rebound clickers actually work on the forks too.

I'm not saying that respringing and revalving the suspension isnt worth the money BUT try the cheap simple stuff first.

If there is an Ohlins agent nearby, they can make one to fit without extra costs. Although that's what they have done for me (all be it on the other side of the planet). Even better, you can specify your needs as correct springrate, lenghth (mine is made longer than stock), etc. Just ask the guy what he can do for you. But as mentioned before, race season is getting started so it will be rather busy.

Maxton is really another good choice. There is a Maxton prepared Ceriani in my Post-Classic racing LM, and my friends V7 classic side-car is completely Maxton suspension equipped. We are both very pleased.