They stole the wrong bike

Looks ok. :thumbsup:

Today, Thursday morning:

5690158247_7cf7250104.jpg

The bike has been sitting just around the corner from where it was stolen! I did start to look around on Monday night, but then thought there was no point in hunting as it was sure to be away in the back of a van. If only I had gone a few more yards I would have seen it. :doh:

Thankfully I was able to get the recovery van to come back when the bike was lifted this morning – as otherwise I'd have had to pay £185 or so, to get it released. The Police had gone. I spoke to someone on the phone and asked a number of times if they would check the cctv cameras, as there are a couple covering the street right there. He just kept saying that would be standard practice but wouldn't confirm that they would actually be doing it, so I don't know if there'll be any follow-up or not. There were no forensics done.

Whatever, BIG thanks to all involved in the successful recovery.

The main damage I can see now is the broken steering lock (a cast part) and bent bolts & steel frame bracket where it's attached.

The ignition wires are ripped out. They make the circuit live, but the bike won't start without the chip in the key, or a code being entered – so the thieves abandoned it.

Must put a new code in tonight. It's at default, which is probably 0000 or something simple like that!

5690738102_6fcab8de89.jpg

5690737220_f645d13992.jpg

5690736114_766af3d51c.jpg

Dave, I got your message, I just haven't had chance to respond yet.

Firstly, if I can get you a new lock set for cheaper than UK prices? let me know and I'll wing it to you.

Secondly, Look at the positives. The morons who stole the bike couldn't start it so they abandoned it. Isn't that the primary aim of an anti-theft system? And the Piaggio syetem, in this case, worked splendidly.

Thirdly, May the Great God of Infertility fart on the ovaries of these bastards wives and girlfriends, or better yet their own testicles, (A sore point for me at the moment! :whistle: )

Finally, Dave is 'Good shit' if you do a bit of digging. he, more than most of us, doesn't deserve this shit. Keep yer pecker up Mate.

Pete

Its really satisfying to see that they couldnt get the bike to start. I can just imagine how mad he or they were about that! Hell my vll is so simple to start without the key that its not even funny. I forget now what I did at some point one of the bolts holding the ignition came out, anyway once you get in there all you have to do is unscrew something and its as easy as turning it by hand without the key. Same deal with the rear seat lock, just unbolt the locking mechanism and you're in.

Great news BFG! Hope she's not too battered.

I know in this modern day and age, we should be understanding the social issues that causes people to steal things, and maybe counselling them and helping them understand that its better not to steal, but I cant help but think that cutting off their balls would get better results in the longer term.

Guy :helmet:

Gotta agree. At least they wouldn't breed. :oldgit: I *hate* rip off artists.. :bbblll:

Maybe you should post this procedure on the internet.

:rolleyes::D:lol:

pictures would be handy and a Google map, just for interest

Maybe you should post this procedure on the internet.

:rolleyes::D:lol:

pictures would be handy and a Google map, just for interest

Sorry BFG I'm afraid your new Griso is probably MUCH harder to steal than your Scura! :rolleyes:

his experience plus another local guy is whats keeping me off the griso path, sooner jump back on a V11, maybe look and hope I find the one I sold some day. Glad you got the bike back (mostly)safe

his experience plus another local guy is whats keeping me off the griso path,

All I can say is don't let it put you off. While Dave was unfortunate enough to be caught up in the early tappet failure fiasco the VAST majority of his problems were inflicted by the cro-magnon who was the Guzzi agent/dealer in Belfast at the time.

As long as the 8V motor is serviced as 'Per-book' and, if eligible, it had the cam recall done correctly before the tappets failed the engine is pretty much bulletproof. Far more so than previous machines oil choice is VITAL for the longevity of the motor due to the ehaust valve seats being oil cooled. Use a cheap oil and it cooks and can no longer cool or lubricate and damage will occur but if dealerships are so strapped for cash they can't or won't buy the correct lubricants for the machines they sell then you've made the wrong choice about where to buy, it's not the designer/engineers fault if people refuse to follow instructions.

I have 50,000Kms on mine now and it never misses a beat. I have several customers who are well over halfway there. Same story. Reliable as a rock!

Pete

his experience plus another local guy is whats keeping me off the griso path,

All I can say is don't let it put you off. While Dave was unfortunate enough to be caught up in the early tappet failure fiasco the VAST majority of his problems were inflicted by the cro-magnon who was the Guzzi agent/dealer in Belfast at the time.

Yep, correct. Get a newer one 2009/10 or an earlier one that's been sorted.

Hi Dave,

You've had a tough run of luck.

Can I send a few pounds your way so's you can buy an Albert King album and some whisky? I hope I spelled that right.

J

Whiskey ;):grin: if it's from the local peat lands

whisky if it's from the bogs across the water

Crap. I always get it bassakwards.

Hey- I'm glad you got your bike back!!

A pox on the infidels who tried to steal it!

Seriously, what kind of misguided lugnut takes a motorcycle? I often leave my panniers unlocked and expect no one to mess with the contents (usually empty...but there could be beer).

I often leave my panniers unlocked and expect no one to mess with the contents (usually empty...but there could be beer).

Great euphemism, J.