Throttle cable replacement

SoullesS

Hi all,

I've got a 2000 V11 Sport on which the throttle cable has started to fray near the throttle bodies. As a precaution I ordered a replacement from mgcycle.com. The part number I ordered was 01117530 however the part I received was 01117590. Obviously this wasn't going to work. Upon inquiry I was told that this was the updated part for my bike and that I could either return it or force it in. I'm pretty sure there is enough material in the throttle to tap out a larger hole to screw in but my concern is that there is not nearly enough free cable extending beyond the sleeve. I just wonder if anyone has dealt with this and could chime in. I have done a good search of the site without any results.

Cheers,

~Kyle

...I ordered a replacement from mgcycle.com. The part number I ordered was 01117530 however the part I received was 01117590. Obviously this wasn't going to work. Upon inquiry I was told that this was the updated part for my bike and that I could either return it or force it in. ...

:huh2:

Obviously, if it is the correct updated part, it shouldn't require modification of the controls or "forcing it in" for it to work! :luigi:

I know Piaggio screwed up the MG parts numbering system, but this seems more like a simple case of misreading the pick ticket: only one digit off, and if the printer is running out of ink a 9 looks a lot like a 3.

Sure wish Greg was around: he was always quick to offer 1st hand parts-mgr insight on this kind of issue... :thumbsup:

Why not Google "motorcycle cable repairs" ? There is an old motorcycle shop close to me that repairs any type of cable........

Huh, something similar happened to me with my 2000 sport in October 2008 ordering 1117530 from MI in Seattle, but receiving 1117590 instead. They were able to locate and ship a more correct cable 1117560

I'm going to look into having the original cable either copied or repaired, I don't like the idea of modifying my throttle housing with the possibility of messing it up. Thanks for the input all.

• 4 years later...

NERTS!! :angry2:  01117590  is NOT the correct cable for an early V11!!

This just happened AGAIN ordering from (another dealer). There remains an uncorrected glitch in the parts system. (not the fault of the dealers).

Correct cable on top:

DSCN3854.jpg

Here's what MGCycle says:

"throttle cable V11 Sport.  [01117530]

If you order this cable, you will get a cable numbered 01117590. The original 01117530 cable is no longer available, but is shown in the photo for reference. The new 01117590 cable requires tapping of throttle assembly to allow installation. This is a retro-fit substitution from Guzzi.

For a better substitute, order throttle cable number 01117560, which is a better fit for 1999-2001 V11 Sport models."

Are there any OLD motorcycle , go-kart or small engine shops in your area ? They will have inner cable repair kits to help you . You can Google throttle repair kits too. 

Looking at you pics you can tell the edge of the outer portion is/was the cause of the wear. We need to figure a repair for this .

Are there any OLD motorcycle , go-kart or small engine shops in your area ? They will have inner cable repair kits to help you . You can Google throttle repair kits too. 

Looking at you pics you can tell the edge of the outer portion is/was the cause of the wear. We need to figure a repair for this .

I tried to align this angle before, but obviously didn't get it lined up very well:

DSCN3851.jpg

Better after another try:

DSCN3853.jpg

But, I've got to get my fuel line from resting the tank's weight on the cable housing; this cannot be helping with the alignment:

IMG_1397.jpg

Harper's has the correct cables.

Really? I can't find it there. Only MGCycle has the disclaimer that redirects to the 2002 V11 LeMans cable 1117560. Later V11 apparently also have a "return" cable.

I can't find anything the *replacement* 1117590 is supposed to fit. Is there anyone, anywhere that has 1999-2001 V11 with a 90˚ angled steel tube leaving the throttle control?

I just called them up and asked for that part number. Got two of them.