Enzo Replica Velocity Stacks©

enzo temko

Moto International crack mechanic Jason loved the torque on my bike and suggested that I could get even more torque with velocity stacks. So, I went out today to hunt down what I had in mind.

Washed the air filters and re-oiled them and attached them to the new stacks. All a perfect fit and all nicely tucked away where there will be less moving air, dirt, rain and damage. Nice.

BEHOLD!

The Guzzi muse is with me. It goes perfectly with the muscle esthetic and further frames the massive engine like the headers do. Just makes it look even bigger and meaner. I haven't road tested it yet, but I did start it up and it purrs like a kitty and roars like a lion:

velocity1.jpg

Tucked away like little babies:

velocity2.jpg

I'm starting to think I might want to take the Raptor© to the track to see what it will do.

• Replies 39
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Ah ha ha ha ha haaaaa! The 'force' of the Guzzi muse is certainaly with you - love it! :lol:

However, maybe the faster you go you'll be creating more demand in getting that fast moving air to do a 180 degree turn to travel 24 inches back to the cylinder. Might get a bit lean at speed?

Kill two birds with one stone, just bore LARGER holes where the green stickers were & mount a couple of forward facing ram-air scoops whilst gaining even longer runners to smooth & shoot the airflow into Raptor's lungs!!! My link

See, even more performance - & gets the frogeyes dumped!

Scuroo definately has a point...your intakes will be in 'dead air' Take inspiration from the Kwak ZZR1100 ram air intakes.

Gotts admit it looks cool though :thumbsup:

Pete

I did something like that on my first trailbike when I was a kid to keep it from drowning in water crossings. It ran badly, was slow to rev and lacked power on top. I expect you'll find the same when you road test your setup.

The place below used to sell a set of velocity stacks with pod filters that fit the V11. You might want to call or email them to see if they're still available if you want to try a real set of velocity stacks.

www.sportcyclepacific.com

Kill two birds with one stone, just bore LARGER holes where the green stickers were & mount a couple of forward facing ram-air scoops whilst gaining even longer runners to smooth & shoot the airflow into Raptor's lungs!!! My link

See, even more performance - & gets the frogeyes dumped!

That's actually a very cool idea! Well, I'll see later today how it runs. As for the little pods and K&Ns that fit directly onto the TBs: They are also in 'dead air,' and the air there is HOT. And the air has no time to get organized and stream-lined. The stacks at least bring in cooler/denser air and allow the air stream to organize into a coherent rush. I suspect the low end will be boosted and the high end will suffer. I can live with that since it's low/medium revs that I use most of the time.

I'll report back later today.

:notworthy: Guzzi muse!

Look forward to your report!

Bung a couple of these on first - My link - sticking out the sides before you make up your mind to add a couple of ram-air scoops in place of those damn frogeyes.

A arse-end ram-air goose - now who'da thought...

Give this duck a run for his money! My link

If it works well - it sure would look well insane!

Cheers!

Hey Scuroo...it took me a while to realise the your 'my link' was in fact a hyper link as it was same colour/font/not underlined...DOH! Yes that's what I was talking about. Even if Ram Air is a bit difficult to quantify there's no doubt that clean, cool airflow will help your engine breath far better than rear facing intakes under the saddle. But like I said, Enzo, it looks cool so what the hell! In sipte of all this dubious theory if it works on the raod when you test then that's what matters.

Looking forward to your report back. Everything apart from the mudguard looks great, I even like the can, but you should twist it 90 degrees and put it under the saddle instead of the air intakes, then nobody would see it!

Pete

Now we're gettin into some wild shit.

Well, I took it out with the baby head filters under the seat. As Mario predicted, the Guzz didn't dig that. A real weak hole at high low end into beginning mid-range.

So, I circled back to the Mooselodge and simply pulled the pods out into the open air. Now they are sitting outside the tail piece as you see here:

vstack2.jpg

vstack3.jpg

vstack1.jpg

A VAST improvement. As I see it, the cold air whips around the tank and my leg and directly onto those pods where they are sitting. Now there was no hole. I think there is always a trade-off when you start tuning an exhaust system. In this case, surprisingly, I believe there is perhaps a little less low end with a BIG improvement over mid-range and willingness to rev. The bike also seems more quiet and the engine feels more 'buttery.' Smoother feeling.

But there is a noticeable improvement in acceleration rush. Coming up the hill in front of my house under very hard throttle made the front end skip along the pavement in the first three gears. I believe I could have jerked the front end up. Runaway train type of delivery. I still don't know about upper end full throttle, but from what I can tell, there is no shortage there.

So, for now, I believe this completes my 'Hillbilly Ghezzy-Brian©' project. Now I shall see if it makes it up to Anacortes/Deception Pass and back this weekend.

stack update. Put the larger K&Ns on today:

kn2.jpg?t=1310602575

kn3.jpg?t=1310602689

kn1.jpg?t=1310602745

It runs very well, but I am getting knocking under hard acceleration going uphill. Here is a little paragraph on pre-detonation:

As stated earlier, anything that will raise temperatures in the cylinder will help promote detonation. This rise in temperature could occur many different ways: very lean air/fuel ratios, heating of the charge air prior to entering the combustion chamber, compression of the air molecules from forced induction, or poor heat dissipation through the cooling system. Increase of cylinder pressure will also prompt detonation. Camshaft profile, compression ratio and quench area all come into play. Design criteria as to combustion chamber shape and mixture motion, spark plug location and piston design can all make an engine more or less inherently prone to abnormal combustion. Naturally, spark timing and fuel quality round off the list.

The gas in my tank is a combo regular and premium. Other than that, your guess is as good as mine. Offer your ideas on cause if you'd like.