Millepercento Alba testride

Admin Jaap

At my MG dealer TLM they have the Millepercento Alba for sale. I saw it on their website and decided to take a look.

What can I say: the bike looks much better in the flesh than on pictures! Beautifully (hand)made, what you think is black plastic is actually CF, aluminium tank, and lots of highend equipment. The frame is built by MPC. It only uses the engine, drive train and wheels from Guzzi. It's a big bike. much larger than the V11. You can compare it to the Aprilia RSV. Plenty of legroom and a comforable seat(ing position).

Didnt expect to ride it, but Martijn at TLM offered me a test ride; who am I to reject? The mapping wasn't quite good; in lower revs it was still a bit awkward. But from 3000 rpms it picks up smoothly an goes like a freight train, with no torque or power dips. Much more power than a V11 or 1200 Sport. Mind you, I've never ridden the new 8-valve engines, so I can't compare it with those. Handling is very good. Very quick and responsive. Haven't tried it in long sweepers. Sadly I only had 20 minutes or so.

If it's worth the money, you have to decide for yourself. One thing is for sure: you WILL get noticed!

271702_186347258095868_100001617859924_531212_6416424_o (Small).jpg

You are a lucky boy Jaap!!

Its been said before but Guzzi are missing a massive opportunity by not producing a bike like this.

Now that the RSV Mille has been discontinued Piaggio have no V twin sports bike in their various model ranges.

When I was in Mandello earlier this month I was told there will be a Guzzi sports bike launched this year, but I have heard that before on every single visit!

Guy :helmet:

Too right Jaap- you rarely see anyone under the age of 55 in a Guzzi dealership these days. Some interesting new sporty bikes that are not cruisers or roadsters will help bring fresh blood to the marque.

The other whisper I heard in Mandello is that watercooled motors are on the way- although I love old aircooled engines, if watercooling helps bring Guzzi into the 21st century then it will be a good thing.

IMHO, Guzzi's 90 degree V-twin with shaftdrive layout is what inherently makes Guzzi a Guzzi...

Water evolution - hell, even adding a couple of cylinders - ala shaft-drive Motus, would suit the marque.

If not 911-type refining, then explore completely new radical territory!

Nembo, Horex, Christini ilk, just try to avoid trad chain-drive... :2c:

BMW uses a re-packaged Rotax twin in the F800 with no loss in brand loyalty, and Ducati runs a very powerful V4 now in some of their bikes, but the dentists and lawyers still buy them. I think Guzzi could get away with an Aprilia-sourced water cooled twin in some sort of sport, or at least very sporty (Honda Interceptor comes to mind) platform without losing any face.

I agree with Felix above re: engine. Perhaps the engine they could use to build a next gen sportbike could be the one on the larger 1200 Dorsoduro - 135hp. I would hate for MG to give up on their engines but there is no shame in OEMing an engine from their sister company for a modern bike.

They don't even have to give up on the current motors being used. Sell 'em alongside, and let the buyers have the choice. You can still buy air cooled Ducs and Airhead-style BMWs. They just have 165hp monsters they sell next to them if you like.

I did not hear Ducati running V4's in anything other then the Desmosedeci, which while they did/do sell a couple it is not a real production Ducati.

Aprilia have moved to a V4 and it sounds cool. I would be happy if Guzzi built a sideways V4 with water cooling and 4vpc. But if they rebadge an Aprilia as a Guzzi I think that would be the beginning of the end.

Too right Jaap- you rarely see anyone under the age of 55 in a Guzzi dealership these days. Some interesting new sporty bikes that are not cruisers or roadsters will help bring fresh blood to the marque.

The other whisper I heard in Mandello is that watercooled motors are on the way- although I love old aircooled engines, if watercooling helps bring Guzzi into the 21st century then it will be a good thing.

You barely see anyone under 50 riding any make of motorcycle these days

Yes plenty of old geezers out there. Our local bike club has links with the University, and I know plenty of younger riders but they are in the minority.

Although I was speaking to an 18 year lad on a Fazer 600 at the MOT station the other day and he told me it was cheaper for him to insure his Fazer than it was for him to insure a little Vauxhall Corsa so there is hope.

I bought my first Guzzi when I was 20- a V65 Lario which had a bit of go in it (until the motor went tits up). What would a 20 year old buy now from the current Guzzi range? Much more likely to want an R6.

Yes plenty of old geezers out there. Our local bike club has links with the University, and I know plenty of younger riders but they are in the minority.

Although I was speaking to an 18 year lad on a Fazer 600 at the MOT station the other day and he told me it was cheaper for him to insure his Fazer than it was for him to insure a little Vauxhall Corsa so there is hope.

I bought my first Guzzi when I was 20- a V65 Lario which had a bit of go in it (until the motor went tits up). What would a 20 year old buy now from the current Guzzi range? Much more likely to want an R6.

hell, I want n R6, & i'm an old geezer

stef

Well, that's somewhat true. In Holland there are a lot of young people who have gotten there motorcycle license the last few years but don't own a motorcycle. They find them to expansive (for the one's they like), not enough knowledge on the tech stuff or don't have a place to park it, etc. etc.

I myself am 28 years old and i've been riding a Guzzi since my 24th. My motorcycle friends still think i'm a nutter but i hold fast on my love for aircooled transversed placed engines with shaft drive.